"Head Coach" vs Manager

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was an interesting discussion on the local Denver sports radio station a couple of days ago: a head coach with hands on experience as a position coach - someone that can actually teach technique - versus a HC who who is primarily a manager, leader and organizer.

While the two are not mutually exclusive, it was interesting that all of the former players on the radio program opted for the "manager" role while the talk- show host was strongly in favor of the "teacher" role.

The rationale behind the talk-show host's position was that far too many college players entering the NFL come with poor technique. While you could argue that correcting poor technique is the position coached responsibility, the active presence of the HC in positional drills could have a huge impact.

Interestingly enough Landry, Parcels and Belichik were examples given of excellent game managers as well as great teacher.

Personally, I would probably opt for the game manager role.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think your head coach should be a motivator and manager first. It would help if he was a teacher also but I want him to motivate the troops and to manage game situations.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Interestingly enough Landry, Parcels and Belichik were examples given of excellent game managers as well as great teacher.

Three Great Coaches who could delegate and teach during the week.

Great game managers on Sunday.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Head coach can be a manager if they have the right coordinators. Have a Sean Payton, Mike Zimmer etc kind of coordinators, you can be a Manager.

Have a Kellen Moore on your staff, you need to be a teacher.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I imagine it all depends on the staff. You need the mix of skills that includes teaching technique, organizing, managing, and leading, game planning, roster planning, and gamely management. There are all sorts of ways to skin that cat.

The the organization has to also be strong on finding talent in the draft, finding talent from other teams, retaining talent you want to keep. There are key positions that have to be filled. Then there are injuries and suspensions, depth, matchups with other teams and good old fashioned luck.

There are a lot of variables. You have to manage them all and basically stay in striking distance when the opportunities present themselves.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I want a head coach that produces post season wins and lombardis. I don't care if he's a tyrant or a softy. Leads with fear or love. Just give me the production and results and you can manage how you see fit.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Good head coaches are jacks of all trades. They can be flexible based on the talent of the players and coaches. They don't have to be great in every phase but are good in most. Bad coaches like Jason Garrett live by excuses, are typically bad in most phases, and show zero flexibility based on the team and coaches.

GenoT

Reaction score
Virtually every NFL head coach has paid his early dues in some sort of football teaching/instruction capacity.

However, in the current age of assistant coaches at nearly every position, plus strength/conditioning, quality control, bench and assistant head coaches (sure I’m forgetting a few), all of whom being further assisted themselves by numerous low or unpaid interns/gofers, a HC better become a good manager — PDQ — or he most certainly won’t have a HC job for very long.

cern

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson said his greatest responsibility as a coach was to motivate the team. Ergo, I'll go with the manager. Hire good coordinators and don't micromanage.