Heisman Candidate - Donald Brown

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Not only is this kid a tremendous player, smark kid that can comprehend the difference between a hand and electric 40 time - LOL

UConn's Brown a legend growing fastBy NEILL OSTROUT
Staff writer
Nors Ditribution Inc.
Article RSS Launched: 10/03/2008 09:21:39 PM EDT

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- The legend of Donald Brown is growing nearly as fast as the UConn running back's actual résumé.

The 40-yard dash times of football players are often estimated and frequently exaggerated, but when Brown was credited with running a 4.29 in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated, the junior's tale became even more intriguing.

Of course, it's a number that probably isn't 100 percent accurate.

"There's not a lot of sub-4.3 guys," UConn coach Randy Edsall said as his 24th-ranked Huskies prepared for tonight's game against North Carolina. "If they are, then they better be running track and trying to get a gold medal."

Brown isn't the next Usain Bolt. He says the 4.29 is legit, though -- sort of.

"That was a combine my junior year (of high school) in the spring at Giants Stadium," Brown said. "I ran a 4.29 hand-held. That's about a 4.4 electric. They didn't believe it and made me run it again. Then I ran a 4.27."

OK, so Brown's a 4.27 guy?

"All I know is he can run," Edsall said. "Very fast."

Actually, there is some debate as to whether Brown is even the fastest current Husky. Cornerback/wide receiver Darius Butler claims to hold that title.

Brown swears he could beat Butler in a race, but concedes that former Husky Tyvon Branch, a teammate until he was drafted by the NFL's Oakland Raiders in April, was usually a step ahead.

"No," Brown said when asked if he'd beat Branch. "Tyvon's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fast. He's the fastest kid I've ever seen."

Speed is just one of the assets Brown has used to help UConn (5-0) get off to its fast start.

The nation's leading rusher, Brown is averaging 6.2 yards per carry and 181.2 per game. He's already scored 11 touchdowns, halfway to UConn's single-season record of 22.

"He's done a very good job of reading his blocks and having good patience," Edsall said. "His vision is pretty good -- very good, as a matter of fact -- and I think he's done a good job of understanding and seeing things in front of him."

North Carolina coach Butch Davis, who has seen his share of talented backs during his days with the Cleveland Browns and the University of Miami, says defending the run is always a priority for his teams.

"This week, as much as in any game this season, that's an enormous challenge," Davis said. "Donald Brown, he is really good. He reminds be a great deal of Clinton Portis. He's got great jump-cut ability, he's got excellent vision, he's got speed. And if he can get to the second level and get in the secondary, he can score."

Comparisons to the former Hurricane and current Washington Commanders star aside, Brown has been shouldering quite a load for the Huskies. He's carried the ball at least 33 times three of the team's last four games, a workload he says isn't getting him run down.

"Going back to January of this offseason, I had to be ready for any situation I was put into, whether it was one play a game or every play of the game," Brown said. "I prepared like I was going to take every play, now I'm starting to reap the benefits."

Whatever his actual speed, Davis and Tar Heels (3-1) would love to at least slow Brown down slightly.

"I don't know if you ever stop anybody that is that good," Davis said. "You just try to do the best you can, try to gang tackle him and minimized a lot of the big plays."

The Huskies and Heels have many of the same traits. Both are veteran teams riding hot streaks. Both came back from double-digit, second-half deficits to win last week. Both recently lost their starting quarterbacks.

Only UConn, however, has the legendary Donald Brown.