WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

By
David Helman
FOX Sports Dallas Cowboys Writer

The next question is obvious: What now? None of the in-house options look particularly enticing.

True, the Cowboys did draft Tyler Smith No. 24 overall this year with an eye on him being a franchise left tackle. Throughout the spring, team officials referred to him as a "left-side player," suggesting that he could spend time at both guard and tackle.

The problem is that the 21-year-old has done the vast majority of his work at left guard this year, with Tyron Smith serving as the unquestioned starter at left tackle when healthy. The younger Smith did spend time at tackle in the spring, but Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy noted this month that the coaching staff wanted their rookie getting comfortable at guard. Throughout this month at training camp and in both of the team's preseason games, Tyler Smith has played exclusively at guard.

There are still two more weeks until the season opener, so perhaps it's possible to shift the rookie over to tackle, allowing fourth-year pro Connor McGovern to handle the left guard job. But that's an awfully quick turnaround for a first-year player to change positions — not to mention the fact that Tyler Smith is currently nursing an ankle injury of his own.

Read the rest: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/cowboys-tackle-depth-a-glaring-issue-with-tyron-smith-out

Last edited by a moderator:

Carson

Reaction score
It’s Fischer or Daryl Williams’s folks. Hurry up and make the move before someone else does. If I’m Philly I’m signing both just for gamesmanship!
Julian Davenport is another name id toss out there

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I thought Smith hurt his knee watching the film. Supposedly Rapoport said it’s a knee injury as well. Tyron is done.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It’s Fischer or Daryl Williams’s folks. Hurry up and make the move before someone else does. If I’m Philly I’m signing both just for gamesmanship!
Just trade for Wynn. Pay him. And thats it. This isnt complicated. Tyron is done. Its over. Get a long term solution not a stop gap.

Aven8

Reaction score
Just trade for Wynn. Pay him. And thats it. This isnt complicated. Tyron is done. Its over. Get a long term solution not a stop gap.

I read they see Wynn as a tweaner/Guard/Tackle and they moved him to RT now. Fish started 15 games for Indy, and Williams started 17 for Buffalo.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McGovern at LG was awful last year and seemed to make Biadasz a worse player in the process

A repeat of that with a rookie left tackle?

They may want to go a different way.

Carson

Reaction score
I read they see Wynn as a tweaner/Guard/Tackle and they moved him to RT now. Fish started 15 games for Indy, and Williams started 17 for Buffalo.
Main issue is, everybody available is a RT.

Fisher is really the only one who can come in and play LT at a high level.

Aven8

Reaction score
Main issue is, everybody available is a RT.

Fisher is really the only one who can come in and play LT at a high level.

It’s a no brainer. Is he Tyron good? No way, but it has to happen. You can’t be just serviceable at your 40 million dollar QB’s blindside. Moore isn’t going to change the long developing plays either.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes time to move on from Tyron. Does NE need a DE or DT. We can make a trade, plus send a draft pick if needed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Swing tackle spot has been a glaring need all off season. Sorry, but addressing it with Ball and Walesko was never a credible plan.

Tyron started at LT as a rookie. If Tyson Smith was worth his draft position, he should be able to plug in there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

RS12

Reaction score
Wynn is another player with durability issues

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
It was a glaring issue before Tyron got (inevitability) hurt.

Nice hot take, David.

Plankton

Reaction score
Fisher is the only real option. Wynn can't stay healthy, and Daryl Williams is a right tackle only who had a horrific knee injury of his own.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
In the words of the great Lord Reginald Arthur Bolden
And I quote
"DUH" ...... end quote

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

No ****.

But once again, most fans on this board were calling this out since FA started and they dumped Collins. Once again, fans proving they are probably as smart as Jerry at roster building.

Creeper

Reaction score
By David Helman
FOX Sports Dallas Cowboys Writer

The next question is obvious: What now? None of the in-house options look particularly enticing.

True, the Cowboys did draft Tyler Smith No. 24 overall this year with an eye on him being a franchise left tackle. Throughout the spring, team officials referred to him as a "left-side player," suggesting that he could spend time at both guard and tackle.

The problem is that the 21-year-old has done the vast majority of his work at left guard this year, with Tyron Smith serving as the unquestioned starter at left tackle when healthy. The younger Smith did spend time at tackle in the spring, but Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy noted this month that the coaching staff wanted their rookie getting comfortable at guard. Throughout this month at training camp and in both of the team's preseason games, Tyler Smith has played exclusively at guard.

There are still two more weeks until the season opener, so perhaps it's possible to shift the rookie over to tackle, allowing fourth-year pro Connor McGovern to handle the left guard job. But that's an awfully quick turnaround for a first-year player to change positions — not to mention the fact that Tyler Smith is currently nursing an ankle injury of his own.

Read the rest: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/cowboys-tackle-depth-a-glaring-issue-with-tyron-smith-out

Didn't Smith play LT in college? I don't know why it would be harder for him to make the move back to LT than to move from LT to LG as he has been doing. They had no problem moving Steele from RT to LT last year despite him having no experience at LT.

Honestly, that the Cowboys are not prepared for this knowing Tyron is a injury risk is just more incompetence from the Jones Team.

I had a feeling last night that we were going to hear that there is a chance Tyron could be ready for the playoffs. But with such a gap at LT how do they even think about the playoffs. The need to think about keeping Dak alive.