News: Helman: Seven Senior Bowl Standouts Who Make Sense For The Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Helman: Seven Senior Bowl Standouts Who Make Sense For The Cowboys

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-senior-bowl-standouts-who-make-sense-cowboys

...Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State – Willis might be the most accomplished pass rusher in this game, with 20 sacks over his final two seasons in college. He doesn’t look quite as impressive as a big guy like Daeshon Hall, but he comes in at a solid 6-3, 255 pounds and he plays like a beast. Every time I watched him, he was screaming around the left side – where he does most of his work – and making life difficult for somebody. Despite his smaller build he seems to be a willing tackler, with 52 tackles and 17.5 tackles for loss last year. I don’t think he figures to be a Day 1 pick, so much as a second or third-round guy. Given that the Cowboys pick later in the order, that sounds perfect to me.

Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia – This is cliché, but I’m a sucker for a big cornerback. Douglas is huge, measuring out at 6-2, 204 pounds on Tuesday. Despite that, he showed some serious athleticism in practices. On Thursday, he caught up to East Carolina receiver Zay Jones on a deep route and launched himself for a leaping pass breakup on a play where he looked beaten. It was reminiscent of Mo Claiborne’s leaping breakup of A.J. Green in Week 5 against Cincinnati. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that this dude finished his final college season with 70 tackles and a fantastic eight interceptions. It’s early, but this is an absurdly deep cornerback class, and it doesn’t sound crazy to think Douglas could be there in the second or third round.

Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington – 6-1, 198 – This dude was easily the most fun person to watch at these Senior Bowl practices. It’s understandable if you’ve never heard of him, coming out of the FCS level of college football – but the dude is a beast. He basically rewrote the record books at the wide receiver position, scoring 73 touchdowns in four seasons. Go look at his stats and get back to me. Anyway, there has been no drop-off going against tougher competition. Kupp schooled everyone I saw him go against, whether it was Michigan standout Jourdan Lewis or 2015 Thorpe Award winner Desmond King. He can play outside or in the slot, he runs great routes, and you can tell he knows how to get open. He’s not a burner, which is probably what you’d prefer in a No. 2 receiver – but he’s great at every other aspect of the position. If he was still there late in the second round, I’d be sorely tempted to make it happen...

btcutter

Reaction score
Sign me up for all of them...except the WR in the 2nd round without burner speed which is what we sorely lack.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
from the article...

Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut – If you read Bryan Broaddus’ practice recaps (and you should), you’ve probably read about this guy. He’s been turning heads all week because of his ridiculous size – 6-4, 219 pounds. But the really crazy part is that his unusual size doesn’t seem to hinder him in coverage. I doubt he’s the second coming of Ed Reed, but he looked fluid and confident in his movements all week. His size is naturally going to earn him comparisons to enforcers like Kam Chancellor, but it’s exciting to think that he’s not a liability in coverage, either. Sitting here in Mobile, in late January, I’m hoping he’d be available to the Cowboys in the second or third round. Unfortunately, if his stock continues to rise, that might not be likely.

I knew nothing of him before the Senior Bowl and I keep looking for flaws, but this kid is extremely intriguing. He looked pretty fluid in coverage, he's fast, athletic...need to see more.

tm1119

Reaction score
Strong side guy that kicks inside on pass rushing downs.

I admit he's far from the prototype, but I think he has a lot better get off and burst than you're giving him credit for. Don't let his size fool you, he can get up the field and after the QB pretty damn quick. Of the guys that will available @ 28 or later I don't see many that have as good of pass rush potential as he does.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kupp sounds like the type player the Steelers pick then make a star out of him in two years.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree on that... although I'll admit I gotta look at more tape and look at how he bends.

I agree. Admittedly, I've only seen him in the Senior Bowl practices.
Maybe he shines a bit today in the game.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Gimme Douglas and Melifonwu.

Add them to Brown, Jones and Wilcox...

Good, young, BIG secondary.

fishspill

Reaction score
Right now it looks like 2 talented defenders should be there in the first two rounds easily.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Fun fact, Cooper's grandfather was Jake Kupp, a 1964 draft pick of the Cowboys. He ended up being a Pro Bowler for the Saints and is in the Saints Hall of Fame.

Whichever team drafts Kupp will not regret it one bit. He will make one GM look like a genius for the next 10-12 years. Great work ethic, great route runner, great hands, savvy, studious, quick with good but not blazing speed. I see some Steve Largent in him. If the Cowboys could come away with one skill position player in the draft, I hope it's Kupp.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I really like Douglas and Boston College's John Johnson as defensive backs.

Outside of coverage skills, strong defenses have cornerbacks that are willing and able tacklers.