HELP Needed - Boys / Skins MNF game

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
I read earlier today that mnf week 2 will be dual lineup with the Saints/Giants kicking off 90 minutes before the Cowboys and Commanders. ABC will carry the early game and switch to ESPN when the 'boys kick off, except in NY and Louisiana, where we will be forced to watch the rest of the Saints game, and the remainder of the Cowboys game. This means that we have no choice, but the rest of the country does.

I am about to get DTV. Is there more than 1 ABC station on DTV where I might be able to catch the game?

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
i'm fairy certain there are 2 abc / fox / cbs networks that you can get, and i think they're 5 dollars a piece a month, one eastern (new york) and one pacific (l.a.)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
HummerMan said:
i'm fairy certain there are 2 abc / fox / cbs networks that you can get, and i think they're 5 dollars a piece a month, one eastern (new york) and one pacific (l.a.)

That's if you can't get your locals.

BlueWave

Reaction score
HummerMan said:

Yeah, he's right. You cannot get those channels unless you live in a rural area with no local channel source within a certain number of miles.

You may be screwed, but I hope I am not. It said LA, NY, and other selected areas affected by the hurricane. I live in Mobile, but I am lucky enough to have a Pensacola ABC station, so I should be okay. I hope.

lspain1

Reaction score
Tuna,

You have multiple problems that are probably not solvable in the short run and may not be solvable at all. DirecTV must deal with the legislation called SHERVA (Satellite Home Viewer Extension Reauthorization Act). SHERVA permits DirecTV to grant you access to the NY (or LA) feeds for your local network affiliates. You have to apply to get a waiver from your local ABC affiliate for this to happen. It usually takes a few weeks to a couple of months to get a response. The waiver is rarely granted (except for FOX). If you get past this hurdle, the NFL has separate agreements with local affiliates concerning rights in particular broadcast areas. If you are within the area claimed by your affiliate, you will not get the other game on the ABC feed. Of course, in your case, the other feed would be from NY so you are still hosed.

If you purchase Sunday Ticket, you might get the game. Of course, there is the approx $200 fee for this and I would check with them to see if you in fact will receive the game since MNF is not normally a concern with ST.

To give you some hope, the last time ESPN and ABC split a broadcast (this pre-season), the "back up" Cowboy game was available on ESPNa even when it was not advertised to be so. This could happen again.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I live in west LA but my ABC comes from east TX.. Will I be OK?

BlueWave

Reaction score
To give you some hope, the last time ESPN and ABC split a broadcast (this pre-season), the "back up" Cowboy game was available on ESPNa even when it was not advertised to be so. This could happen again.

I kind of expect this to happen.

djmajestik

Reaction score
Don't think DirectTV will solve the issues seeing as they have to abide by the "local" rules. I now for a fact my ABC station here in Western New York said I would be fine and would not miss the Boys game. You all might want to contact your local ABC affiliate in your area to see if that is true for you.

I also heard the NFL was looking into the issue and hope to have it resolved so that no one misses a game, but don't keep your fingers crossed on that one.

As for Western New Yorkers, WKBW said we would be fine, that is from an email to Legend.

Just an FYI. HTH

Gordon

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in NY so this is screwing me too. My question is, will they switch over to the DAL/WAS game after the Giants game is over?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gordon said:
Yeah, I'm in NY so this is screwing me too. My question is, will they switch over to the DAL/WAS game after the Giants game is over?
Saints-Giants game set for Monday night doubleheader

NEW YORK (AP) — The Giants-Saints game, driven from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, will be played as part of a nationally televised doubleheader starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 19.
The game, already moved to the Giants' home in the New Jersey Meadowlands, will begin on ABC, then be switched to ESPN at 9 p.m., when ABC goes to the regularly scheduled game between Washington and Dallas in Irving, Texas. In New York and Louisiana, as well as other parts of the Gulf Coast, ABC will continue to carry the Giants-Saints game, switching to Commanders-Cowboys when the Saints game ends. - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-09-05-saints-giants_x.htm

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Saints-Giants game set for Monday night doubleheader

NEW YORK (AP) — The Giants-Saints game, driven from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, will be played as part of a nationally televised doubleheader starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 19.
The game, already moved to the Giants' home in the New Jersey Meadowlands, will begin on ABC, then be switched to ESPN at 9 p.m., when ABC goes to the regularly scheduled game between Washington and Dallas in Irving, Texas. In New York and Louisiana, as well as other parts of the Gulf Coast, ABC will continue to carry the Giants-Saints game, switching to Commanders-Cowboys when the Saints game ends. - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-09-05-saints-giants_x.htm

I was aware of the fact that they would switch to the 'boys game when the Saints / Giants finished, but what is the point of doing all of this? Why can't both games be aired nationally in their entirety?

PA Cowboy11

Reaction score
My 2 ABC affiliates are Scranton, PA and one from Philly. I guess that means i won't have a problem? I will seriously snap if I don't get that game.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
From what I can decipher, here is what's going on:

- For people in NY/LO, the MNF game between the Giants/Saints will be broadcasted from start to finish on ABC. Once this game is finished, ABC will broadcast the remainder of the Dallas/Skins game.

- For everyone outside of NY/LO ABC will broadcast the Giants/Saints game and switch to the Cowboys/Skins game once they are ready to kick off. The Giants/Saints game will then be moved to ESPN.

Now my question is what will be broadcasted on ESPN in NY/LO during the time of the Giants/Saints game? Is it possible that the game would be broadcasted on both ABC and ESPN for people living in NY/LO?

This is really pissing me off, I'm going to miss a bitter rivalry Monday night game and the induction of the triplets into the ROH.

:bang2:

Martice

Reaction score
Because ABC wants to make the Giants/Saints game a giant tribute to the victims of the Hurricane.

I have mixed feelings about this and would rather keep my initial feelings about the whole thing to myself.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tuna Helper said:
I was aware of the fact that they would switch to the 'boys game when the Saints / Giants finished, but what is the point of doing all of this? Why can't both games be aired nationally in their entirety?
I've been trying to find that out myself since the announcement. I'm in northeastern Louisiana and my local ABC affiliate, KAQY, is only parroting what little I've read or heard thus far. They don't know of any details regarding the games being broadcasted separately on different networks without interruption.

This blows. :mad:

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I've been trying to find that out myself since the announcement. I'm in northeastern Louisiana and my local ABC affiliate, KAQY, is only parroting what little I've read or heard thus far. They don't know of any details regarding the games being broadcasted separately on different networks without interruption.

This blows. :mad:

I know. I don't want to miss the ROH ceremony. Since I am in SE LA, I am positive that I will get to see the entire Saints game.

The NFL is really screwing the pooch on this one. First they give the Giants a 9th home game. Then they screw some of us over by making us watch it instead of the Cowboys.

Thanks Tagliabooboo.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Martice said:
Because ABC wants to make the Giants/Saints game a giant tribute to the victims of the Hurricane.

I have mixed feelings about this and would rather keep my initial feelings about the whole thing to myself.

bingo!

i don't understand why it is so hard to have both games played entirely....or at least the cowboys game. Even if they say the whole local thing so the Giants will be shown in NY, where i live I know of 2 giants fans. 2...not 2000. While there are countless cowboys fans. i just dont understand TV. or hurricanes for that matter

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
TheKey said:
I live in west LA but my ABC comes from east TX.. Will I be OK?

i would bet an east texas station will be carrying the cowboys.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I dug a little further and one of the ABC affiliates I contacted claimed only METRO NY will be showing the whole Giants vs Saints game. For what ever that means.