Hendog mock draft 1.0

hendog

Reaction score
RD.
2 - Jairus Byrd - After losing Pac & Henry another quality CB is needed. Byrd is a ballhawk with NFL bloodlines. We are one Newman tweak from having Ball as 3rd corner and two sophs on the outside.

3 - Eric Wood - Finally some much needed insurance at center.Smart, play to the whistle type player.

4 - Dannell Ellerbe - Burnette's replacement as nickel ILB. Very good coverage LB .Popped off the tape in 07 before knee injury slowed him last year.

4 - Lawrence Sidbury Jr. - OLB-pass rusher from last years Div.1-AA champs. May need alittle time to develop. Ellis on last leg.

5 - Rhett Bomar - Boys had interest in John David Booty last year in this rd. Time to groom quality backup. Kitna affords us this pick. Dallas area kid with all the tools.

5 - Mike Thomas - Quick twitch but strong WR the boys lack.Has excellent speed and plays fast. Is a good PR man as well. Not scared to work the middle of the field.

5 - Jasper Brinkley - Big time thumper perfect for ILB in the 3-4. Bradies backup in case of injury.So long Bobby(we hardly knew ya).

6 - Lee Robinson - Ultra productive LB who is a natural athlete who could play inside but projects to the outside in the 3-4. Helps immediately on special teams.

6 - Ramon Foster - Played RT for U of Tenn. but may be better suited at guard in the NFL. Great size with long arms. Is a finisher.

7 - Joel Bell - LT prospect who started 3 years at Furman University. Raw but has good size and good feet. Loads of potential to push Free.

7 - Reshard Langford - Explosive hitting SS. Team captain at Vandy.4 year starter. Very intelligent.Good STer. Vocal leader. Could be Killa's replacement.

Be gentle. I know I went heavy on the LB'ers. Just felt like we needed to upgrade the depth. If you want to run the 3-4 you gotta have'm. Carp, Rogers, Octavian(sp?) don't inspire confidence as starters,decent STers I guess. Matt Stewart? Who knows.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I really don't think we'll hit up CB with our first pick this year, but seems like a pretty good draft otherwise. No safety though?

Woods

Reaction score
I like this mock, esp. the Byrd pick.

I don't know much about the 2 7th rounders. I'll have to research them.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
hendog;2689930 said:
RD.
2 - Jairus Byrd - After losing Pac & Henry another quality CB is needed. Byrd is a ballhawk with NFL bloodlines. We are one Newman tweak from having Ball as 3rd corner and two sophs on the outside. I like Byrd, but he may have to play FS at the next level. Cowboys need a SS, although not an immediate need. To early to take CB/FS IMO.

3 - Eric Wood - Finally some much needed insurance at center.Smart, play to the whistle type player. Good pick. Although Shipley may be just as good, and can be had later. Can't fault this pick though.

4 - Dannell Ellerbe - Burnette's replacement as nickel ILB. Very good coverage LB .Popped off the tape in 07 before knee injury slowed him last year. Jason Williams could be had later, and he is also faster, bigger and a stud in coverage & rushing the passer. Jason Phillips can be had at this spot or later as well. Both better players IMO.

4 - Lawrence Sidbury Jr. - OLB-pass rusher from last years Div.1-AA champs. May need alittle time to develop. Ellis on last leg. Cowboys may need to take him sooner. Very good pick, especially since it looks more and more like all the best pass rushers will be grabbed by the 3rd.

5 - Rhett Bomar - Boys had interest in John David Booty last year in this rd. Time to groom quality backup. Kitna affords us this pick. Dallas area kid with all the tools. Wary about Bomar's airs and off field stuff. But he has talent. Just tired of primadonnas. I would rather take a QB later, but the value is good at 5.

5 - Mike Thomas - Quick twitch but strong WR the boys lack.Has excellent speed and plays fast. Is a good PR man as well. Not scared to work the middle of the field. Nice pick. Upgrades slot receiver spot, potential returner too. Good value.

5 - Jasper Brinkley - Big time thumper perfect for ILB in the 3-4. Bradies backup in case of injury.So long Bobby(we hardly knew ya). I like it, good value.

6 - Lee Robinson - Ultra productive LB who is a natural athlete who could play inside but projects to the outside in the 3-4. Helps immediately on special teams. My favorite pick of this mock. This guy can play and he is still under a lot of radars due to his 40 time.

6 - Ramon Foster - Played RT for U of Tenn. but may be better suited at guard in the NFL. Great size with long arms. Is a finisher. I think Bell goes before Foster.

7 - Joel Bell - LT prospect who started 3 years at Furman University. Raw but has good size and good feet. Loads of potential to push Free. If he's still there, good value. Bell's stock is rising, he may be gone closer to top of second instead of bottom.

7 - Reshard Langford - Explosive hitting SS. Team captain at Vandy.4 year starter. Very intelligent.Good STer. Vocal leader. Could be Killa's replacement. Don't think he is anything more than a ST.

Be gentle. I know I went heavy on the LB'ers. Just felt like we needed to upgrade the depth. If you want to run the 3-4 you gotta have'm. Carp, Rogers, Octavian(sp?) don't inspire confidence as starters,decent STers I guess. Matt Stewart? Who knows.

I like the emphasis on LBs though, except I would have picked a few more w/high football IQ to mix in w/the athletes. :D

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Sidbury is a # 51 target, imo. Bunting ranks him at 51 and gives him to Chicago at 48. He will not last long in round 3 if he falls.

Woods

Reaction score
I think an alternative to Sidbury could be C Brown from Conn.

He's had excellent production at Conn and has very good measurables, esp speed.

Woods

Reaction score
41gy#;2692567 said:
Sidbury is a # 51 target, imo. Bunting ranks him at 51 and gives him to Chicago at 48. He will not last long in round 3 if he falls.

The more I read up on Sidbury, I think you're right. He could be gone by end of Round 2. I wouldn't mind taking him at 51, depending who is still there.

If you look at Sidbury's weaknesses, which include his height as a 43 DE, for example, it's not as big a problem as a 34 OLB. In addition, another weakness was that at around 266 lbs you could gameplan to run on him as a 43 DE.

Again, at 260 lbs+, and playing OLB, he's got very good size to handle the run, esp with Spears and Igor playing in front of him.

I'm very curious as to how we would rate Sidbury vs. Sintim from Virginia.

Just going on measurables, I think Sidbury has a faster 10-year and 40-yard time, though I think Sintim has a slightly better cone time, for instance.

Sidbury is also really strong - around 28x in the bench, which was one of the best versus other DEs at the Combine.

PokerPro

Benched
Reaction score
hendog;2689930 said:
RD.
2 - Jairus Byrd - After losing Pac & Henry another quality CB is needed. Byrd is a ballhawk with NFL bloodlines. We are one Newman tweak from having Ball as 3rd corner and two sophs on the outside.

Can't envision us using our top pick on a guy we KNOW will be our 4th corner.
We need another corner in case Newman/Jenkins/Scanrick gets hurt, but not with our topc pick, IMO we'll wait till round 4-5 to pick one up, you usually want your top pick to at least have a chance to play, he won't be playing unless there's an injury.

3 - Eric Wood - Finally some much needed insurance at center.Smart, play to the whistle type player.

I like him a lot.But not as INSURANCE at center, again, you don't use a 3rd rounder to be your BACKUP CENTER to your pro-bowl center.
I like the pick cause he can backup BOTH Center and guard and compete and possibly take over at guard for Kosier after this year, that's why I like the pick.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Woods;2692701 said:
The more I read up on Sidbury, I think you're right. He could be gone by end of Round 2. I wouldn't mind taking him at 51, depending who is still there.

If you look at Sidbury's weaknesses, which include his height as a 43 DE, for example, it's not as big a problem as a 34 OLB. In addition, another weakness was that at around 266 lbs you could gameplan to run on him as a 43 DE.

Again, at 260 lbs+, and playing OLB, he's got very good size to handle the run, esp with Spears and Igor playing in front of him.

I'm very curious as to how we would rate Sidbury vs. Sintim from Virginia.

Just going on measurables, I think Sidbury has a faster 10-year and 40-yard time, though I think Sintim has a slightly better cone time, for instance.

Sidbury is also really strong - around 28x in the bench, which was one of the best versus other DEs at the Combine.

Plus, Sidbury could probably play both sides, too. He could spell Ware. His upside is very interesting. He's ranked very high on my narrowed down list. He could definately contribute as a third pass-rusher in the 'Cowboys package'. I bet Phillips could find a way to get him in the game. He could spell Ware or Ellis with his quickness and speed.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2694798 said:
Plus, Sidbury could probably play both sides, too. He could spell Ware. His upside is very interesting. He's ranked very high on my narrowed down list. He could definately contribute as a third pass-rusher in the 'Cowboys package'. I bet Phillips could find a way to get him in the game. He could spell Ware or Ellis with his quickness and speed.

I like Sidbury, lots of upside. But he will need to get stronger, especially in the lower body to play the strongside. And he has no experience in space.

I think Veikune is better value, plus he would play sooner (already strong vs the run). What I love most about him is his attitude, tough as nails and is always going 1000%. Very coachable.