Twitter: Henry Melton to visit Dallas after Minny and Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So you are telling me the entire 2014 season comes down to drafting one specific player or we are screwed? That is hard to believe.

I am saying that you just cant plug a JAG in as a 3 tech and expect to field a good defense in this scheme.

This scheme is also crap if your DEs suck and outside of Selvie and his 7 sacks, we have no pass rushers left on this team from last year.

So our guess we got 2 problems now.

Common Sense

Reaction score
So you are telling me the entire 2014 season comes down to drafting one specific player or we are screwed? That is hard to believe.

You're right. I think the more realistic scenario is that we are just screwed. There aren't enough picks in the draft to fix this miserable defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. I think the more realistic scenario is that we are just screwed. There aren't enough picks in the draft to fix this miserable defense.

That depends on the definition of "fix." I think we can do enough in one offseason to be playing at the level we were playing at early last season, and with more young talent. That's not a level I'd consider "fixed," but it'd have been good enough to probably qualify us for postseason play if we could have maintained it.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
That depends on the definition of "fix." I think we can do enough in one offseason to be playing at the level we were playing at early last season, and with more young talent. That's not a level I'd consider "fixed," but it'd have been good enough to probably qualify us for postseason play if we could have maintained it.

The defense that gave up Eli Manning's season high yards total? That defense? Some fortunate turnovers obscure the fact that Eli shredded them.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Donald is a HOF already.

I think what some are saying is that ala Sapp, you need a real fireplug at 3T and Donald has all the intangibles...highly regarded, with just about every award a defensive player can amass in college. Love to have him, but is he sure to be there at 16 when the Cowboys pick? This is a question that the FO must consider carefully going forward. Melton would give them more options...they could still take Donald or go DE. Otherwise, the first two picks almost have to be DT, DE.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...wins-2013-Outland-Trophy/stories/201312120325

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense that gave up Eli Manning's season high yards total? That defense? Some fortunate turnovers obscure the fact that Eli shredded them.

Yes precisely that defense. The one with the fortunate turnovers by design.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our defense sucked in the opener. I believe we gave up 30 points or more in 3 of our first 5 games.

This wasn't a case of injuries creating a bad defense. We lacked talent from the get go.

kramskoi

Reaction score

They might have made it if Hatcher had not come undone half-way through, but both he and Ware made it a moot point. The loss of Sean Lee was the final straw I guess.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our defense sucked in the opener. I believe we gave up 30 points or more in 3 of our first 5 games.

This wasn't a case of injuries creating a bad defense. We lacked talent from the get go.

Not too interested in debating your word choice of "sucked". We got worse later in the year.

My point is that it's reasonable to improve from that point, and that marginal improvement might be significant enough to get us the extra win we might to qualify for post season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They might have made it if Hatcher had not come undone half-way through, but both he and Ware made it a moot point. The loss of Sean Lee was the final straw I guess.

Losing Lee and then Durant at MLB was the final straw for a bad unit. At that point, we were playing zone with no pressure and no real chance.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think what some are saying is that ala Sapp, you need a real fireplug at 3T and Donald has all the intangibles...highly regarded, with just about every award a defensive player can amass in college. Love to have him, but is he sure to be there at 16 when the Cowboys pick? This is a question that the FO must consider carefully going forward. Melton would give them more options...they could still take Donald or go DE. Otherwise, the first two picks almost have to be DT, DE.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...wins-2013-Outland-Trophy/stories/201312120325

Can he play a down in the NFL before people call him the 2nd coming of Sapp or Atkins? I think he's not going to be anywhere near what he was in college. He wont be playing against Navy anymore

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports now
Some Melton legal sht is about to hit fan in Grapevine. Player to meet w police. #cowboys aware of 'immaturity' issue, not scared off

Gonna be signed cheap watch

I like you're logic, but it's kind of telling that he left the SB champs without a cheap contract considering they have cap space. Maybe his workout didn't wow them coming off that ACL injury?

If we do sign him I hope we're not just signing damaged goods that has a big name to appease fans like me. I guess I'll put my trust in McClay (?) and Marinelli on this one.

bysbox1

Reaction score

I agree. Despite the turnovers the Giants almost came back and beat us, and Eli still threw for 450 yards and 4 TD's? Please. I am surprised no one saw the demise of our defense in that first game. The writing was already on the wall.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I like you're logic, but it's kind of telling that he left the SB champs without a cheap contract considering they have cap space. Maybe his workout didn't wow them coming off that ACL injury?

If we do sign him I hope we're not just signing damaged goods that has a big name to appease fans like me. I guess I'll put my trust in McClay (?) and Marinelli on this one.

I think Marinelli is pushing this. He brought him up. Thats his guy

Status
Not open for further replies.