Henson's First Love

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Henson signs with Yankees for $17M

Associated Press

BRIGHTON, Mich. – Drew Henson went with his first love, baseball.:confused:
The Michigan quarterback, in line to be the top pick in next year's NFL draft, agreed Saturday to a $17 million, six-year contract with the New York Yankees.

With his parents looking on, Drew Henson took $17 million from the Yankees and walked away from his senior season as Michigan's QB.

"To me, there would be no greater goal than to help win a World Series for the New York Yankees," Henson said. "I will keep memories of the University of Michigan close to my heart."

Henson, 21, is to report to the Yankees on Monday and will likely spent much of the season at Triple-A Columbus, Ohio -- where Michigan defeated Ohio State 38-26 last November in what Henson called the highlight of his college career.

Walking away from his senior season as the Wolverines' quarterback for a chance at becoming the Yankees' starting third baseman in 2002 was "the biggest sacrifice I will ever make," Henson said.

"I wanted to prove I could be a great quarterback, and to this point I have," he said. By focusing on one sport, Henson said, "it'll be easier on my body, it'll be a little easier on my mind. My goal is to get to New York as soon as possible."

The Yankees originally drafted Henson in 1998 and signed him for a $2 million bonus. Under the new contract, he is forbidden from playing football.

"We got back at the NFL from taking (John) Elway away from us years ago," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, referring to a former Yankees farmhand who became one of professional football's greatest players.

Henson played in the Yankees minor league system until he was dealt to Cincinnati last July as part of the trade that brought Denny Neagle to New York.

Convinced they couldn't sign him, the Reds traded Henson back to New York on Wednesday along with outfielder Michael Coleman for outfield prospect Wily Mo Pena.

Asked if he would have returned to Michigan this fall if he were still in the Cincinnati organization, Henson said, "I don't know. But I love baseball because of baseball."

Comparing the Yankees with Michigan's powerful football program, he said, "Why not go to the team with the most tradition, with the best chance to win? I couldn't hold out any longer. I was ready to go."
Henson had a chance to be selected by the expansion Houston Texans as the top pick in the 2002 NFL draft and would have received more money up front, probably more than $10 million.

His contract with the Yankees calls for a $1 million signing bonus, salaries of $1 million in each of the first two seasons, $2 million in 2003, $2.2 million in 2004, $3.8 million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006.

"He obviously has terrific potential and he's a future superstar, there's no question," Yankees manager Joe Torre said.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Nors can we please change the subject. I have all the confidence in the world that you can come up with a new & different topic with a new cast of characters just as intriguing.

parchy

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I have all the confidence in the world that you can come up with a new & different topic with a new cast of characters just as intriguing.

:lmao2:

You'd be the only one.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Nors can we please change the subject. I have all the confidence in the world that you can come up with a new & different topic with a new cast of characters just as intriguing.

you know, when jesus walked the earth, "the power" would allow the masses to vote a prisoner out of prison.

these days we vote people off the island.

if you could vote people out of a forum...i wonder who'd win? and yea, i wonder how many votes i'd get too. >g<

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Henson loved baseball.

And we're just his sloppy-seconds.

i beg to differ. HOUSTON was his sloppy seconds. we're whatever the "thirds" work out to be.

superpunk

Reaction score
:jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Tony Romo's first love is Golf.

No shame in that and its been a focal point of discussion here all the time.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
you know, when jesus walked the earth, "the power" would allow the masses to vote a prisoner out of prison.

these days we vote people off the island.

if you could vote people out of a forum...i wonder who'd win? and yea, i wonder how many votes i'd get too. >g<

Dude - you know it. You like to play "God". Stifle open discussion? Sit in a very small circle of yes boys and girls.

You get to decide what is talkable about?

There are a hundred threads poking fun at Romo and his love of golf. No biggie.

Back to Hensons motivations and true love, you may not like it but its damn pertinent here.:cool:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
The New York Yankees have asked me to clariffy that Drew Henson forfeited $12M of the $17M on the contract he signed to play baseball.