Here is a good write-up on Seattle's Cover 3

erod

Reaction score
lol if we go by that then a lot of defense are deal since Alabama kicked the crap out of a lot of different defensive schemes.
The Cover 3 is designed to make receivers catch everything in front of you so you can tackle them.

However, it doesn't account for a No 1 receiver with major speed from the slot running deep routes against it. You can occupy the outside deep corners with receivers, then let your slot guy run deep routes against linebackers with the center safety having to figure out which way you're going.

You can't do it with Cole Beasley. But you can darn sure do it with Lockett or Tyreek Hill. You see more and more No 1 receivers playing more in the slot for that reason.

The defense can only solve that with a pass rush.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SEA's secondary was proof of the strength of the unit and the weakest link in the chain. When 1 of the big 3 was out, it wasn't near the same, they were like some 3 headed monster back there reading each other's thoughts and anticipating. There have only been a handful of secondary's like that and the Cowboys had one with Sanders-Smith-Woodson, the Niners and Steelers had one as well, which is why they're all decade teams.

I don't care what coverage scheme a DC wants to run, get 2 good CB's or S's and he can run anything. The Cowboys haven't had a good S in decades. But then, that hasn't been a priority.

This was a down year for secondary's and a great year for QB's that like their WR's college open. These WR's have looked like deer running through these secondary's.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess Trevor Lawrence must not be that good, after all that OSU defense throttled Clemson and the top QB entering the draft. If he can't beat a dead defense like cover 3 then he has no business in the NFL. Of it could be Bama won because they are outright the best football team in the NCAA? Naw can't be that

This is kinda wonky thou. Lawrence was under pressure all night. To win with 4 Go routes against the Cover 3, you have to have two things. One, you have to have 4 Receivers that can go and you have to be able to protect because those routes take a long time to develop. Clemson could do neither consistently but having said this, Lawrence threw for 400 yards and 2 TDs with 1 Int on a ball that he threw under heavy pressure at the end of the game that should have been a TD. Hit is WR in the hands but couldn't hold on and it ended up being an INT. Still in all, they did manage to score 28 but Ohio State seemingly had WRs running wide open all night long. Clearly, the Clemson Defense did not show up that night. So yeah, I guess if you see it as a shortcoming on Lawrence, I get that. I think he played a good game but just got outplayed by the Ohio State Buckeyes on that night.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The Cover 3 is designed to make receivers catch everything in front of you so you can tackle them.

However, it doesn't account for a No 1 receiver with major speed from the slot running deep routes against it. You can occupy the outside deep corners with receivers, then let your slot guy run deep routes against linebackers with the center safety having to figure out which way you're going.

You can't do it with Cole Beasley. But you can darn sure do it with Lockett or Tyreek Hill. You see more and more No 1 receivers playing more in the slot for that reason.

The defense can only solve that with a pass rush.

Cover 3 being the base coverage, but if Quinn is playing a team with a slot WR like you mention he has every ability to vary the coverage (quarters, or something).

Also, Hill is going get his against any scheme.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cover 3 being the base coverage, but if Quinn is playing a team with a slot WR like you mention he has every ability to vary the coverage (quarters, or something).

Also, Hill is going get his against any scheme.
They can't handle his speed. I don't care what his 40 was, he is just faster than anyone on the field.

Bob Hayes' speed created the zone, I don't know what they can do against Hill but just assume he's getting his 6 for 120 and 2 TD's and work with that. Add a crafty mobile QB and best TE in the game and I don't see anyone stopping them. Pure execution by any offense is unstoppable.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
While I don't disagree with you, Seattle was able to build a Super Bowl winning D without too much "high value" investment in it:

Draft:
1st Round = Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin
2nd Round = Bobby Wagner
3rd Round = Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane
4th Round = Red Bryant, KJ Wright, Walter Thurmond
5th Round = Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman
6th Round = Byron Maxwell
UDFA = Michael Bennett​

Trades:
Chris Clemons (and a 4th) for Darryl Trapp (who was a 2nd Round pick by Seattle)​

Free Agents:
Tony McDaniel - FA on a 1 year deal (was an UDFA Rookie for his 1st Team)​

So you are looking at a LOT of 3rd Day picks on that Defense, with 4 of the 5 "starting" DBs being picked in the 4th, 5th and 6th Rounds.
This is what can happen when coaches / front office people don't get so darn attached to their "pet cats" on draft day.

JMHO

Drafting all these all pros within a few years doesn’t happen too often. Can it be done? Sure, but what has Dallas with Jerrah done in the last 20 plus years to show that is even possible here?

SackMaster

Reaction score
Drafting all these all pros within a few years doesn’t happen too often. Can it be done? Sure, but what has Dallas with Jerrah done in the last 20 plus years to show that is even possible here?
When the front office does not key on a "pet cat" they are actually pretty good at Drafting.

From 2005 to 2018, the Cowboys drafted at least 1 Pro-Bowler in 11 of 14 drafts and Multiple Pro-Bowlers in 7 of 14.

Then in the 2019 draft, if Donavan Wilson can continue to improve, he has an outside shot as a Pro Bowler. And in 2020, CeeDee will be a Pro-Bowler (baring something crazy), with Diggs and Biadasz being possible future Pro-Bowlers as well.

So outside of listening to an over-the-hill DC for his pet cats the past few years (only for the same DC to dislike those players just as quick after they were drafted), the Cowboys draft pretty well. In the past two years, on the defensive side, you may have drafted a starting Safety and Corner (Wilson and Diggs), with two, what should be, really good rotational guys on the D-Line (Gallimore and Anae). Now can the coaching staff continue to develop them? (Something that the previous HC had never proven as a coach in or out of Dallas)

I wish I knew the answer. The 2020 season was strange due to outside issues. Hopefully 2021 will give the coaching staff more time and a better opportunity to develop what looks to be salvagable 2019 class, a pretty good 2020 class and hopefully a great 2021 class.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
When the front office does not key on a "pet cat" they are actually pretty good at Drafting.

From 2005 to 2018, the Cowboys drafted at least 1 Pro-Bowler in 11 of 14 drafts and Multiple Pro-Bowlers in 7 of 14.

Then in the 2019 draft, if Donavan Wilson can continue to improve, he has an outside shot as a Pro Bowler. And in 2020, CeeDee will be a Pro-Bowler (baring something crazy), with Diggs and Biadasz being possible future Pro-Bowlers as well.

So outside of listening to an over-the-hill DC for his pet cats the past few years (only for the same DC to dislike those players just as quick after they were drafted), the Cowboys draft pretty well. In the past two years, on the defensive side, you may have drafted a starting Safety and Corner (Wilson and Diggs), with two, what should be, really good rotational guys on the D-Line (Gallimore and Anae). Now can the coaching staff continue to develop them? (Something that the previous HC had never proven as a coach in or out of Dallas)

I wish I knew the answer. The 2020 season was strange due to outside issues. Hopefully 2021 will give the coaching staff more time and a better opportunity to develop what looks to be salvagable 2019 class, a pretty good 2020 class and hopefully a great 2021 class.

You’re reaching a little. We have no clue what Anae will do never mind be counted on. He couldn’t get playing time on a historically bad defense so that is not a good sign. Wilson flashed some for sure but you can’t pencil him as a pro bowl player. The jury is still out on him. If he becomes a solid player I would be happy, saying pro bowl is a reach right now.

Diggs looks good but again you just never know. We thought LVE and Jaylon Smith were going to be two of the best starting linebackers in the league and look at them now. Until Dallas stops using ALL of their resources on offense and ignores the defense it will be more of the same. They try to find reclamation projects all the time in defense and go cheap. They ignore defensive tackle and safety position for years now. Until they get serious about putting talent on the defensive side than the roller coaster team they have been for years will continue.

quickccc

Reaction score
A Seattle Cover 3 must – and I mean must – have an all-world athlete, and all-world football player, honestly, at the free safety position. The engine that makes Seattle’s aggressive defense go is safety Earl Thomas. Without Thomas on the back end being able to cover the range he does, that defense doesn’t work. We saw how fast the wheels fell off Seattle’s defense late in the year when he was hurt. Next, there has to be at least one elite lockdown outside cornerback. That’s Richard Sherman. After that you want to have another corner who is comfortable playing a man-to-man style on one side of the field. Finally, you have to have a strong safety who hits, wraps up, has the size to at least take on lead blockers, and can chase like a linebacker. That’s Kam Chancellor.

An aggressive Cover 3 is all about buying time for a good pass rush. When you have the kind of aggressive players in the secondary that Seattle does, they’re able to lock down their receivers for three to four seconds on a regular basis, which is a long time for an offensive line to block a team like Seattle.

Seattle’s defensive series end in the extremes. There aren’t all these bend-but-don’t-break drives that are long and sustained that only end in three points. More than any other style of defense, Seattle’s Cover 3 either ends in a touchdown, a turnover or a limited drive that could be as short as a three-and-out.

- i disagree that you need an All-world athlete at safety ... you don't even an All world athlete at CB ... but it does help that you have guys that have a great knack and plays faster than their workout measurements suggest ...

i think you maybe looking at Quinn's Legion of Boom, and just basing a really good defense off what they alone can be; and what we Cowboys should
be, if we don't have an earl thomas,or byron jones elite like athletes we cannot have a chance at a difference making defense ?

- Bucs did not have all world athletes with their dominant secondary. in fact they may have been by 40 time the slowest DB unit around with Lynch and Ronde Barber Brian Kelly being the headliners.

- Even Seattle Legion of Boom didn't have elite athletes at CB in Sherman, Browner, Maxwell,..Sherman was a 4.58 athlete but he played faster than what he times, and he was a ball hawk

- Earl thomas was probably the only one you could say is a top athlete combined with ball hawk skills .
Basically other LOB starting defenders were 4.6 guys - average athletes , but on the field they made plays and proved difference makers.

The big key is the players themselves being consistent and natural play makers ..and having the better coaches that best know how to scheme
them into the best fit position.

We cannot have coaches that want to line up Trevor Diggs in press line situation like Lester Hayes and expect him
to run hip to hip for 60-70 yards downfield ,.

:oops:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- i disagree that you need an All-world athlete at safety ... you don't even an All world athlete at CB ... but it does help that you have guys that have a great knack and plays faster than their workout measurements suggest ...

i think you maybe looking at Quinn's Legion of Boom, and just basing a really good defense off what they alone can be; and what we Cowboys should
be, if we don't have an earl thomas,or byron jones elite like athletes we cannot have a chance at a difference making defense ?

- Bucs did not have all world athletes with their dominant secondary. in fact they may have been by 40 time the slowest DB unit around with Lynch and Ronde Barber Brian Kelly being the headliners.

- Even Seattle Legion of Boom didn't have elite athletes at CB in Sherman, Browner, Maxwell,..Sherman was a 4.58 athlete but he played faster than what he times, and he was a ball hawk

- Earl thomas was probably the only one you could say is a top athlete combined with ball hawk skills .
Basically other LOB starting defenders were 4.6 guys - average athletes , but on the field they made plays and proved difference makers.

The big key is the players themselves being consistent and natural play makers ..and having the better coaches that best know how to scheme
them into the best fit position.

We cannot have coaches that want to line up Trevor Diggs in press line situation like Lester Hayes and expect him
to run hip to hip for 60-70 yards downfield ,.

:oops:

The biggest and most important attribute playing in this coverage scheme is range for the position. A single high safety needs to be able to cover the entire field, not just half of it. High level instincts, ball skills are right behind range.

You mention the Bucs, they have one of the best fronts in the entire league. Certainly easier for the secondary, when they don't have to hold up as long. Them being the best against the run, also helps out their secondary as the playaction is less effective.

quickccc

Reaction score
You’re reaching a little. We have no clue what Anae will do never mind be counted on. He couldn’t get playing time on a historically bad defense so that is not a good sign. Wilson flashed some for sure but you can’t pencil him as a pro bowl player. The jury is still out on him. If he becomes a solid player I would be happy, saying pro bowl is a reach right now.

Diggs looks good but again you just never know. We thought LVE and Jaylon Smith were going to be two of the best starting linebackers in the league and look at them now. Until Dallas stops using ALL of their resources on offense and ignores the defense it will be more of the same. They try to find reclamation projects all the time in defense and go cheap. They ignore defensive tackle and safety position for years now. Until they get serious about putting talent on the defensive side than the roller coaster team they have been for years will continue.

- Bradley Anae may have been a victim of a very bad coaching crew - that was far more the bad sign than Bradley himself, imo

- Dorace Armstrong getting more reps than Randy Gregory was a bad sign,.
- Randy gregory only getting 20% of the DE snaps was a bad sign -
- having Dlaw confused about dropping in coverage and confused about when to stand up or hands down was a bad sign,
- having both Dlaw and Everson Griffin confused as hell where to line up, how to rush or play run gap defense was a bad sign, ..
- having both a DC and a DL that clearly failed us -en route to be immediately fired after just one year seems to be a bad sign of bad coaching

- With Wilson, considering how little snaps and reps he got his rookie year - which primarily just special teams, i took this year with him in
the starting lineup as really his rookie year. He's not a complete player ..yet.

- While he provides a physical tone and has a knack for big play turnovers
either he's not always in position or he cannot always match up in single coverage, ..we'll have to see how his coverage pans out and if he has
becomes the vocal leader for this secondary.

quickccc

Reaction score
The biggest and most important attribute playing in this coverage scheme is range for the position. A single high safety needs to be able to cover the entire field, not just half of it. High level instincts, ball skills are right behind range.

You mention the Bucs, they have one of the best fronts in the entire league. Certainly easier for the secondary, when they don't have to hold up as long. Them being the best against the run, also helps out their secondary as the playaction is less effective.

Great front per Bucs, but they themselves also had ball hawk skills - they were not average players - they did not just depend upon the front four to bail them out. Despite average athleticism, they had a scheme that placed them in a position to make big plays.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Great front per Bucs, but they themselves also had ball hawk skills - they were not average players - they did not just depend upon the front four to bail them out. Despite average athleticism, they had a scheme that placed them in a position to make big plays.
What I saw was an opportunistic defense on the back-end, with a MLB making plays all over the field. The Saints couldn't run the football with much success, especially in the 2nd half, this allowed their defense to play more coverage and put these players in a great position to succeed. We talk all the time how do you build a defense, does it start up front or have elite players in the secondary? The common theme is getting consistent pressure with your front four.

SackMaster

Reaction score

Sure, we don't know if Anae can do it in game, but unless I'm mistaken, I only remember reading positives about him from "insiders at practice".

Now why could he not get any playing time on a historically bad defensive team? We don't know. It could be that his is just bad. Or maybe the Cowboys were more interested in finding what they had in guys like Aldon, Gregory, Griffen or Armstrong since the Cowboys will need (or needed) to make decisions on those guys much sooner than Anae.

Again, not saying it can't be due to performance, but we had several people not perform well and Dallas kept them around MUCH longer than they should have like Poe, Griffen and Crawford, to name just a few on the DLine. And we all know a few LBs and DBs had way too much playing time for their performances too.

As far as Wilson, never claimed he was a Pro-Bowler, just a possible starter (aka solid). Although, if he can make plays at the same rate as he did in a limited role, it is not out of the realm of possibilites.

I stated Diggs had the potential to be a Pro-Bowler, but as we agree, that may or may not happen. He was far from perfect, but the guy was around the ball much more than not, and if we could get away with having him use stickum, he could have had half a dozen INTs or more this year in less than a full season, virtually no training camp, and on a D that was not "player friendly" as other vets said throughout the year. So again, he may not be a Pro Bowler, but I like his chances given the things outside his control in 2020 relative to his on-the-field performance.

Lastly, I don't disagree about needing to be better at using resources on D. While I have no issues with the front office listening to their coaches on who they want, those same coaches should be held accountable when they are completely wrong and/or end up hating the guy THEY wanted so badly.

Unfortunately when you both draft bad players and pair them with bad coaching and/or scheme fits, what we have seen the last few years with our D will happen.

The Cowboys CAN draft as well as any team in the league. Now WILL they? We can only wait and see.

But they ARE capable. And that was really the only point I was trying to make.
:flagwave: