CFZ Here's what I'd like to see them do the rest of FA

Sydla

Reaction score
The most obvious for me is finding a freaking DT. Geezus their blindspot to that position is mindnumbing. But I suspect they don't really care about the position all that much and will wait awhile and see what cheap bodies they can grab a week from now. I hate it but it is what it is. Getting Hankins back and then adding a guy like Robinson would be ideal at this point. I see nothing that would lead me to believe they have any interest in any of the few remaining decent DTs in FA.

Go get a vet TB. There are some good ones out there that can be pretty cheap. Yes, Pollard is likely the guy but having a quality vet backup would be pretty smart IMO, especially if Pollard takes time to get his feet under him (like Gallup). It also buys you insurance heading into the draft as you don't have to force a TB pick. The position is deep so if you have a vet already behind Pollard, you can just see what comes to you in the draft. I am afraid with what they are doing, they are considering using a first round pick on Gibbs or Robinson.

Assuming Fowler gets signed, I'd look for a vet LB. No, Wagner is a pipe dream although that would be awesome. But LVE, as decently as he played last year, is still an injury risk. Behind him are all inexperienced guys. Bad LB play could derail this defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
DT, RB and LB all have to be on the list. Maybe OL too.

Easy to see where day 1 and day 2 draft picks will be spent.
I don't like it one bit but as I said, it seems like this is a speeding train towards Jerry using a first round pick on a TB again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Would still like to get Wagner but I don't see that happening. I would love to get a run stopping DT. But who? We still need depth at CB. And need guard and ba kup RB.

Reactions: CWR

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The most obvious for me is finding a freaking DT. Geezus their blindspot to that position is mindnumbing. But I suspect they don't really care about the position all that much and will wait awhile and see what cheap bodies they can grab a week from now. I hate it but it is what it is. Getting Hankins back and then adding a guy like Robinson would be ideal at this point. I see nothing that would lead me to believe they have any interest in any of the few remaining decent DTs in FA.

Go get a vet TB. There are some good ones out there that can be pretty cheap. Yes, Pollard is likely the guy but having a quality vet backup would be pretty smart IMO, especially if Pollard takes time to get his feet under him (like Gallup). It also buys you insurance heading into the draft as you don't have to force a TB pick. The position is deep so if you have a vet already behind Pollard, you can just see what comes to you in the draft. I am afraid with what they are doing, they are considering using a first round pick on Gibbs or Robinson.

Assuming Fowler gets signed, I'd look for a vet LB. No, Wagner is a pipe dream although that would be awesome. But LVE, as decently as he played last year, is still an injury risk. Behind him are all inexperienced guys. Bad LB play could derail this defense.
Damiem Harris would be a nice add

At DT, you are either getting Hankins back just because he is a vet min guy

Sydla

Reaction score
Damiem Harris would be a nice add

At DT, you are either getting Hankins back just because he is a vet min guy
I don't mind Hankins and hope he is back. But this just smells like the same old crap where they are gonna run it back with the same mediocrity they come up with each offseason. Throw in a mid to late round pick at DT and it's the same old dog piss.

No sense of urgency at DT. They trade for a CB. Trade for a WR. Seems like they want to take a TB early.

But DT? Nah, will patch that up with goat piss, moldy cheese and some band aids that aren't tacky anymore.

T-RO

Reaction score
We will carry 3 running backs. We have two already with Malik a solid #3.

This draft features one of the deepest, richest and diverse groups of Backs in decades. It's a Running Back candy story. It's simply the best aspect of this draft class. Quantity? Yes. Premium Quality? Yes.

I have absolutely no idea why some here want us to get our third RB from the free agency Goodwill store, when you can easily find a good back -- a shiny, young, new one.

T-RO

Reaction score
Bring in some linebacker depth.

Maybe, but let's remember:
We play 4-2-5...so only two LBs see regular action on D.

We play Kearse a lot at LB. We play Micah there a bit. Then of course the pure linebackers: LVE, Clarke and Cox. Again, I think you get a special teams linebacker in the draft to compete with Harper and then we're set.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't mind Hankins and hope he is back. But this just smells like the same old crap where they are gonna run it back with the same mediocrity they come up with each offseason. Throw in a mid to late round pick at DT and it's the same old dog piss.

No sense of urgency at DT. They trade for a CB. Trade for a WR. Seems like they want to take a TB early.

But DT? Nah, will patch that up with goat piss, moldy cheese and some band aids that aren't tacky anymore.
An "out of nowhere " guy to keep an eye on is Gervon Dexter. Even though he has discussed I say " out of nowhere" because they are telegraphing a skill heavy draft. However they only met with two DT's at the combine. Gervon Dexter and Chauncey Golston's Spirit Brother Byron Young ( who is probably a day 3 guy). Could be nothing, but could be Dexter is a guy they really like

Sydla

Reaction score
We will carry 3 running backs. We have two already with Malik a solid #3.

This draft features one of the deepest, richest and diverse groups of Backs in decades. It's a Running Back candy story. It's simply the best aspect of this draft class. Quantity? Yes. Premium Quality? Yes.

I have absolutely no idea why some here want us to get our third RB from the free agency Goodwill store, when you can easily find a good back -- a shiny, young, new one.
Easy. For one, it's not hard to find productive TBs in FA on the cheap. Two, Malik Davis isn't someone you hold a spot for. Three, bringing in a vet gives you insurance if a) the way the board falls you don't find a TB you want b) that rookie TB ends up struggling c) Pollard isn't effective early as he needs time to get his feet under him.

Bringing in a vet TB just makes sense. And it likely will be quite cheap.

T-RO

Reaction score
Easy. For one, it's not hard to find productive TBs in FA on the cheap. Two, Malik Davis isn't someone you hold a spot for. Three, bringing in a vet gives you insurance if a) the way the board falls you don't find a TB you want b) that rookie TB ends up struggling c) Pollard isn't effective early as he needs time to get his feet under him.

Bringing in a vet TB just makes sense. And it likely will be quite cheap.

-Malik Davis, PFF Score: 80.6. Young. No injury history. Zero fumbles. 4.2 YPC, 6 catches on 6 targets. No need upgrading 3rd string RB.

-I hope for Bijan. If not there's a bevy of great options in rounds 2-4. This class is stacked.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys haven’t offered Hankins a deal. I don’t think they like the player very much. I’m thinking nose tackle in round 1.

Wagner would make it a dream FA period but I think they’ll sign a guy like Nick Morrow to a smaller deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
-Malik Davis, PFF Score: 80.6. Young. No injury history. Zero fumbles. 4.2 YPC, 6 catches on 6 targets. No need upgrading 3rd string RB.

-I hope for Bijan. If not there's a bevy of great options in rounds 2-4. This class is stacked.
Davis has barely enough carries to take any grading history of him seriously. And I don't put a ton of value in PFF grades anyway.

You look at it as a 3rd string TB. I am looking at it maybe being our 1st or 2nd string TB depending on Pollard's recovery and whether or not the rookie can contribute right away. Vet TB just makes sense because at the end of the day, it's likely going to be cheap and if you want to cut him at some point, it probably won't really do much to your cap anyway.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I would like to sign the following:

Clowney - Doesn't impact comp picks
Poona Ford - What we need at NT
Odell - Also doesn't impact comp picks

Call it a day

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree they need 2 NTs.
I disagree on signing a vet RB, the draft is loaded and veteran RB will ve available post draft.
Yea, you are probably right about there being more than enough vet TBs post draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would like to sign the following:

Clowney - Doesn't impact comp picks
Poona Ford - What we need at NT
Odell - Also doesn't impact comp picks

Call it a day
Why would we need Odell after just adding Cooks?

You plan on playing a ton of 4 WR sets?

T-RO

Reaction score
Davis has barely enough carries to take any grading history of him seriously. And I don't put a ton of value in PFF grades anyway.

You look at it as a 3rd string TB. I am looking at it maybe being our 1st or 2nd string TB depending on Pollard's recovery and whether or not the rookie can contribute right away. Vet TB just makes sense because at the end of the day, it's likely going to be cheap and if you want to cut him at some point, it probably won't really do much to your cap anyway.

Pollard will be healed by May. We won't carry 4 backs, and this draft has Santa's sleigh loaded with RBs. The only way I could agree to your plan is if you have a guy in mind for like 1.4 mil with no guaranteed money. Somebody we could flip or cut w/out pain.