Here's a moment of silence and respect to TV announcers who are gone

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
These guys made the game interesting. They're missed -- gone but not forgotten.

Howard Cosell ("He could go all the way!")
Don Meredith ("Turn out the lights.")
Pat Summerall
Dick Enberg ("Oh, my!")
John Madden ("boom!")
Frank Gifford
Ray Scott

With the new season almost here, I wanted to show respect to these men who did such a great job making the sport interesting, and are no longer here to join us in our living rooms. Thank you for your service, Howard, Don, Pat, Dick, John, Frank, and Ray. You helped to make the sport better, and you are sorely missed.

PS: These are the late announcers I could think of. If I've missed anyone, please list them. Make it only announcers who are no longer with us, please.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When I first started watching the Cowboys during the 1972 season it was Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier. They did a lot of Cowboys games. I also enjoyed listening to Frank Glieber who did a lot of Cowboys games.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I can’t even tell you how much I miss Madden and Sumrall. They were the kings of television duos. I still love football but there will always be a little something missing without those two.

The best of the best.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pat Summerall
Dick Enberg ("Oh, my!")
John Madden ("boom!")
Frank Gifford
Ray Scott

With the new season almost here, I wanted to show respect to these men who did such a great job making the sport interesting, and are no longer here to join us in our living rooms. Thank you for your service, Howard, Don, Pat, Dick, John, Frank, and Ray. You helped to make the sport better, and you are sorely missed.

PS: These are the late announcers I could think of. If I've missed anyone, please list them. Make it only announcers who are no longer with us, please.
Summerall was the Elvis of sports broadcasting...That voice...

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Pat Summerall
Dick Enberg ("Oh, my!")
John Madden ("boom!")
Frank Gifford
Ray Scott

Sumermall and Madden were the best combo. Never see chemistry like that again. You could tell how much they loved working together.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Sumermall and Madden were the best combo. Never see chemistry like that again. You could tell how much they loved working together.
Yeah, think Summerall and Madden excelled so much at their craft, I don't see how any other duo could beat them. As a close second place I would say Cosell and Meredith.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I would take Ray Scott over any of them.
Ray Scott was excellent. He's been gone for a really long time, having left NFL TV broadcasting to go do NFL radio broadcasting. He then broadcasted college football in the 80s. RIP, Ray Scott.

Majic

Reaction score
Summerall was the Elvis of sports broadcasting...That voice...
Back in the early 90's I remember him commentating on a kick off or punt return by Dave Meggett of the Giants for a TD. I would love to hear it again. It went something like this.

'Megget on the return'
'Megget gets a block'
'Megget to the 40'
'Megget'
'He's gone'

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pat and John followed closely by Frank,Howard, and Dandy

More than just broadcasters they were part of a legendary NFL era

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
When I first started watching the Cowboys during the 1972 season it was Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier. They did a lot of Cowboys games. I also enjoyed listening to Frank Glieber who did a lot of Cowboys games.
Thank you for adding Tom B. To the list.

Also in the 70s there was a show called...This is the NFL...

For a person who lived outside of the Dallas metro area is was a great way to see 5-10 minutes of highlights if you couldn't get the game.

Can't recall the announcers name but his voice will always be synonymous to me of the NFL...the iconic statement I'll always remember was...then doomsday kicked in...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
They were full of the story telling and human elements in development within a single game as well as growth of an entire season with the human side of excitement following it. They highlighted momentums and the human side of achievement.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I first started watching the Cowboys during the 1972 season it was Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier.
A very underrated team. I loved listening to them.

You mentioned Frank Glieber and I'm glad you did because he was very good as well.