Here's a topic about thank you and you welcome

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Ok so.

When someone say's to you "Thank You" Do you respond with "You Welcome"?

I try not to use "You Welcome", I try to respond with "Thank You" in return, not "No, Thank You" unless needed.

Ok still with me?

Now if i did someone a really big favor, and they insist on expressing vocally their Thank You, i just respond by saying "Don't worry about it" or "No big deal".

I feel like a "You Welcome" is a acknowledgment that i know i did something very good for you and now you should remember that you owe me one.

What's so special about a "You Welcome"?

Do you use it?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the balance of the good deed is to me, I say you're welcome. If it's equal, I thank them back.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok so.

I try not to use "You Welcome", I try to respond with "Thank You" in return, not "No, Thank You" unless needed.

Ok still with me?

Now if i did someone a really big favor, and they insist on expressing vocally their Thank You, i just respond by saying "Don't worry about it" or "No big deal".

I feel like a "You Welcome" is a acknowledgment that i know i did something very good for you and now you should remember that you owe me one.

Do you use it?
I don’t say you welcome but you’re welcome.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Ok so.

Ok still with me?

Do you use it?

That is all in your head on your feelings about you're welcome. It is sincere and a good way to respond. Especially with eye contact and a handshake.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'm trying to break away from saying "no worries". I picked it up from work and can't shake it. Don't say it all the time, mostly to people I know, but have no real feelings toward.

"You're welcome" is what I say to people I am not personally acquainted with when a thank you comes my way.

"My pleasure", "any time", something more personal and inviting are things I would say to a friend or family member letting them know they need not thank me for something I consider my rightful duty.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Breaking_Bad_S04E01__Box_Cutter__-_Denny's_Scene_0-25_screenshot.png

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just a simple "You're welcome" sometimes comes off as an automatic and meaningless response. Depending on the situation and, as @nightrain alluded to, my relationship or lack of to the person, I'll usually say, "Oh, you're very welcome", "No problem", "Anytime", or "Anything for you, doll." If I feel like I was pressured into doing something for the person, I'll say, "Whatever", "You got it.", or "Shut up."

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Just a simple "You're welcome" sometimes comes off as an automatic and meaningless response. Depending on the situation and, as @nightrain alluded to, my relationship or lack of to the person, I'll usually say, "Oh, you're very welcome", "No problem", "Anytime", or "Anything for you, doll." If I feel like I was pressured into doing something for the person, I'll say, "Whatever", "You got it.", or "Shut up."
LOL.....Why do I 100%believe this?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
My opinion is, saying thank you is an expression of appreciation and respect, and is a choice made by the expresser. I generally feel like a return acknowledgment is justified, if not obligated. You can use most any form of "you're welcome" on me and it will be received well if it seems sincere.

On those occasions when the "thank you" is clearly not sincere, or comes across as sarcastic I will still respond the same way I would to a genuine "thank you" but you will definitely catch my drift through the tone and body language I use.

At the end of the day, talk really is cheap and is the least reliable method of communication compared to the many other ways we communicate, consciously, or unconsciously.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Oh, and.... If you ever flower up a "you're welcome" to the extent of saying, complete with the grandiose gestures, "You are EVER SO VERY welcome!!!" Just know that you are EVER SO VERY close to getting knocked on your ***. :p:laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
You are putting way too much thought into simple social niceties. It's just etiquette. Don't overthink. Just say the response of your choice and don't analyze.