Heroic Fantasy

RaZon

Reaction score
Got into.....

30787698616.jpg

About 10 years ago, why Hollywood hasn't ran with this saga ,is a mystery to me. The stories far superior to anything out of Marvel and DC. The brooding albino prince with his vampiric runesword Stormbringer, gets no better than that.

Cannot talk heroic fantasy and not talk the great Robert E, Howard, a Texan who gave the world CONAN. His Hyborian age right there with Tolkiens epic Lord of the Rings. They still haven't done it right in the movies, the books far superior.

Then we have Kandar,Orion, Kyrik, Thongor, Kothar Brak the Barbarian all inspired by the Conan character. Fritz Leibers Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser on a higher level can stand alone.

Don't really put Tarzan in this but guess I should. Don't put the myths like Hercules, Thor, Sinbad either.

All of that stuff just great fun, escapeism at it's best.

Frank Frazetta Conan

s-l500.jpg

Anyone here share my interest in that sort of thing?

The thing about these heroes is they can bleed, they aren't superhuman, it was all Conan could do choke out a gorilla, just one.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Got into.....

30787698616.jpg

About 10 years ago, why Hollywood hasn't ran with this saga ,is a mystery to me. The stories far superior to anything out of Marvel and DC. The brooding albino prince with his vampiric runesword Stormbringer, gets no better than that.

Cannot talk heroic fantasy and not talk the great Robert E, Howard, a Texan who gave the world CONAN. His Hyborian age right there with Tolkiens epic Lord of the Rings. They still haven't done it right in the movies, the books far superior.

Then we have Kandar,Orion, Kyrik, Thongor, Kothar Brak the Barbarian all inspired by the Conan character. Fritz Leibers Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser on a higher level can stand alone.

Don't really put Tarzan in this but guess I should. Don't put the myths like Hercules, Thor, Sinbad either.

Frank Frazetta Conan

s-l500.jpg

The thing about these heroes is they can bleed, they aren't superhuman, it was all Conan could do choke out a gorilla, just one.
That must be Frazetta's early work. Other works, like "Death Dealer" are far better quality, IMO.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Got into.....

30787698616.jpg

Frank Frazetta Conan

s-l500.jpg

This was my genre when I used to do a lot of reading. I read all of the Elric books and pretty much anything by Michael Moorcock. Years ago, I was at work and this older guy moved into the office next to me. He came over and introduced himself as the new writer, Michael Moorcock. I'm not usually star struck but I dorked out pretty bad as a huge fan. He seemed surprised that I knew his name. He was a really nice guy but didn't stick around at the company very long due to his frustration with the storytelling limitation in games at that time. This was probably 25 years ago.

RaZon

Reaction score
This was my genre when I used to do a lot of reading. I read all of the Elric books and pretty much anything by Michael Moorcock. Years ago, I was at work and this older guy moved into the office next to me. He came over and introduced himself as the new writer, Michael Moorcock. I'm not usually star struck but I dorked out pretty bad as a huge fan. He seemed surprised that I knew his name. He was a really nice guy but didn't stick around at the company very long due to his frustration with the storytelling limitation in games at that time. This was probably 25 years ago.

How cool was that, lucky you, of all the authors, Howard, Lovecraft, Poe, Steinbeck and Moorcock those I;d like to have a beer with.

Can't remember how I first discovered Elric, but do remember being totally hooked, now the search was on, in about a year i had it all. Then there was Dorian Hawkmoon, sure you are familiar with those stories. Everything about these stories simply take it far far away, which is a good thing.

RaZon

Reaction score
He was probably the main inspiration for me choosing to draw and paint mostly in the fantasy/warrior genre. One look at the Molly Hatchett album cover change my whole perspective on art.

Also an artist and have done my fantasy stuff, love the weird, the bigger than life. My dad was into sci fi as we know the cover art there very cool, that was my inspiration.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
He was probably the main inspiration for me choosing to draw and paint mostly in the fantasy/warrior genre. One look at the Molly Hatchett album cover changed my whole perspective on art.
I love Frazetta art. I've got a bunch of framed prints he did of the Kane character hanging in my office. @RaZon if you haven't read them, that is another great series of books by Karl Edward Wagner.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Good one and I own all the books that make up the saga, ERB also has a Venus series, hell....believe it or not he wrote westerns,

The complete John Carter on Mars saga a must have, and the movie was well bone,
i haven't read all the books in the series...just the first one and i couldn't put it down.
i loved the movie and i hope they do the 2nd.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'm glad you're here RaZon.
you're one helluva good dude,man.

RaZon

Reaction score
i haven't read all the books in the series...just the first one and i couldn't put it down.
i loved the movie and i hope they do the 2nd.

There are 10 books that make up the John Carter on Mars saga, I do suggest you read them in order, it took me a couple years to find the 10, Then I started at number one.....

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
A big fan of Michael Moorcock and found him by accident. In my tweens, was already a big fan of REH and had read pretty much everything of his I could find, the Frazetta cover art was always a plus. I ran across "The Silver Warriors" that had a Frazetta cover and bought it

frazettagirls-art-print-fine-art-print-stretched-on-wooden-bar-18x24-silver-warrior-print-28209356294.jpg

I got "The Eternal Champion" and got into Elric after that. Great stories that would be a great franchise of movies or get a Game of Thrones type series.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
A big fan of Michael Moorcock and found him by accident. In my tweens, was already a big fan of REH and had read pretty much everything of his I could find, the Frazetta cover art was always a plus. I ran across "The Silver Warriors" that had a Frazetta cover and bought it

frazettagirls-art-print-fine-art-print-stretched-on-wooden-bar-18x24-silver-warrior-print-28209356294.jpg

I got "The Eternal Champion" and got into Elric after that. Great stories that would be a great franchise of movies or get a Game of Thrones type series.
I've got that print up in my office and it might be my favorite Frazetta. I remember getting the book and not liking it so much but it's been a long time.

RaZon

Reaction score

I own that book, and consider that cover art among his best work. Yep. Hollywood needs to step in here, Elric is tailor made for the big screen.

RaZon

Reaction score
Lin Carter and a few others have written Conan stories, but.......only one Robert E. Howard.

Howard also gave us....

md30206684588.jpg

And....

56577710._SY475_.jpg

Another Howard creation Solomon Kane

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I've got that print up in my office and it might be my favorite Frazetta. I remember getting the book and not liking it so much but it's been a long time.
I took that and made a wallpaper for my laptop and added the lyrics from Led Zep's "Immigrant Song"

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming.....

I thought it paired pretty well.