hey Chris in SoCal

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
have you heard any of this

Patrick Finley of The Arizona Daily Star looks at U.S.C. linebacker Taylor Mays.

DD.Comment: We've seen quite a few articles about Mays the last few days and this is the first one we linked because it's well written -- it points out his flaws, as well as his obvious talent. The writer is absolutely correct when he notes some N.F.L. teams view Taylor as a potential N.F.L. linebacker, while other teams see him as a future safety. We mentioned in the blog three years ago that Pete Carroll felt Mays would eventually make a great N.F.L. linebacker due to his excellent size/speed combination. In that sense, he's similar to Brian Urlacher, who Tony Dungy has openly admitted he really wanted to draft as a free safety in the spring of 2000 so he could pair him with future Hall of Famer John Lynch in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers secondary. Obviously, Chicago drafted Urlacher and he was bulked up real quickly and moved to middle linebacker. So it will come down to which team drafts him in the first round of the 2010 draft and where they think he best fits their scheme. Two more quick points: One, while most on the Net are reporting Mays ran between a 4.25 and 4.29 at his Pro Day, N.F.L. scouts currently have him listed at 6' 3", 235 pounds and they "estimate" his 40 time at 4.50. That's not surprising, when you consider U.S.C.'s track is so blazing fast that even their place-kicker ran sub 4.5's the last two springs. Teams adjust 40 times based on surface and weather conditions sometimes...Two, it doesn't surprise us that Mays made the remark that he returned to U.S.C. to improve as a football player, not just to attend parties and chase girls. Several months back Tony Pauline of TFY noted [COLOR=#0000]Mays primarily returned to school because he fell in love with a cheerleader[/COLOR]. Obviously, that's not what N.F.L. scouts want to hear, so he's trying hard to down play that.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/303208

it seem like a waste of talent to make hin a LBer

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm used to the Taylor Mays doubting and overall USC bashing. Mays will be safety and a dam good one.

People doubt his speed but Coach Carroll has said Mays has posted the fastest 40 of any Trojan since he's been there. So even if USC's track is fast, he will still post a great time at the combine. By the way, the reference about the track, implying it must be fast since the kicker posted fast times, David Buehler posted times of 4.56 and 4.63 at the NFL Combine.

Mays hasn't put up big interception numbers but if you go back and look at the tapes you will see that teams don't go deep on him. Teams tried to go underneath and over the middle and they paid dearly for that. All of the haters also fail to mention that the USC Free Safety has had 13 NFL drafted players playing in front of him over the past few years. With all of those talented players on the field teams will still scared to throw deep over the middle.

USC has got to be something right. They have finished in the top 4 every year since 2002 and they are putting tons of players into the league. Heck, even our back-up's get drafted (Matt Casell, Thomas Williams).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hey Chris -- been meaning to ask an 'SC fan this. I ran into Rey M at the airport -- walked with him out to our tiny *** plane -- he doesn't seem like he is 6'2". In fact, I was struck by how he seemed shorter than me (I'm 6 even). You hear any rumbles about his size? Might explain some of his draft free fall. (BTW - nice kid, very polite)

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
r u sure it was Rey? Only reason I ask is because fellow USC linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who was drafted by Cleveland, has a similar look and people used to mistake them here. He is about 5'11".

Kaluka
maiava1.jpg

1416.jpg

Rey..
rey-maualuga_cc.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
As someone who lives in Tucson where the Arizona Daily Star is published, and who is NOT a USC Trojans fan, I would like to chime in.

Patrick Finley is nuts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2865797 said:
r u sure it was Rey? Only reason I ask is because fellow USC linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who was drafted by Cleveland, has a similar look and people used to mistake them here. He is about 5'11".

I live in Rey's home town. He is here very often visiting his mom. Rey was the top news story when he fell out of the draft... top story when he signed... he is a local hero, signing autographs wherever he goes. so yeah, it was Rey - and he seemed really short

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Eureka or Oxnard? I thought I remember him moving in high school.

It wouldn't be the first time an athlete didn't measure up to his listed height. My football program had me as a 6'1" 215 lb linebacker/fullback. The Army me told me I was 5'10 3/4" and about 185 lbs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
up by the 'reek as we call it - his mama lives there - it was "breaking news" when he signed his contract (seriously).

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2866500 said:
up by the 'reek as we call it - his mama lives there - it was "breaking news" when he signed his contract (seriously).

Both of my brothers graduated from Humboldt State so I am semi-familiar with the area.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2866617 said:
Both of my brothers graduated from Humboldt State so I am semi-familiar with the area.

So your brothers are stoners?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think Mays is a great athlete and will be a great SS, but if a team tries to play him at FS it will be a mistake.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Rampage;2868408 said:
what's up Chris?

bet you thought i was gonna bag on Mays huh:D

:lmao: :lmao2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :thankyou: :bravo: :worthy2: :clap: :grin2:

I literally laughed out loud at work.

So what size USC #2 jersey did you want me to order for you again?

7663078-c.jpg

or do you want the Black one?
7704814-zBlack.jpg

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I'll take the normal one if you're paying:D have they ever worn the Stealer looking jerseys?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
no..some fans want them too but most fans are too traditional and hate the idea of it.

My son asked for 3 jersies this year.. the Black #2, a White #14 Vols jersey (Eric Berry), and a 49ers Crabtree jersey. I've bought him the first two and I'm trying to talk him out of the last one. Come on son, how bout a nice Felix Jones jersey?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2868996 said:
no..some fans want them too but most fans are too traditional and hate the idea of it.

My son asked for 3 jersies this year.. the Black #2, a White #14 Vols jersey (Eric Berry), and a 49ers Crabtree jersey. I've bought him the first two and I'm trying to talk him out of the last one. Come on son, how bout a nice Felix Jones jersey?
#14>#2:laugh2: does your son like or already have a Ware or Witten jersey?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Rampage;2869017 said:
#14>#2:laugh2: does your son like or already have a Ware or Witten jersey?

You never miss a chance. I just know that one day soon you will be sitting in your living room or a sportsbar and watching Taylor Mays obliterate someone and you will quietly mumble..."Chris in SoCal was right."

My son has a Barber, Ware, Witten, and an all black Romo jersey.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2869059 said:
You never miss a chance. I just know that one day soon you will be sitting in your living room or a sportsbar and watching Taylor Mays obliterate someone and you will quietly mumble..."Chris in SoCal was right."

My son has a Barber, Ware, Witten, and an all black Romo jersey.
damn! your son has a lot of jerseys. get him a Roy Wi11ams jersey than. Screw a crabtree 49ers jersey. I think it's time you put your foot down, pops:D