Highest Paid US Athlete (Contract-Wise)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Is gonna be Shohei Ohtani with estimates hitting $65M/year.

Tried telling y’all about 2 years ago and someone told me I was, more-or-less, a fanboy.

He’s basically a create-a-player from video games in real life. Leads the league in home runs, 3.3 ERA and is 4th is strikeouts. I don’t care if you don’t like baseball, if you like greatness you should be watching.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Just a casual 10K game pitching and 2 HRs from the plate tonight.

Leads the league in HRs, RBIs, OPS, and Slugging Percentage. Batting over .300 and he has the highest WAR in the MLB. Still 4th most Ks in the MLB.

If he keeps pace, he could have the best MLB season in the modern era, and potentially ever.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Babe Ruth would have been a HOF pitcher-as far as I know the only player in MLB history that could have done that until now.

Says a lot its taken this long for someone else.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Definitely reminiscent of Babe Ruth. Not much into baseball these days but total respect on what he’s doing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is gonna be Shohei Ohtani with estimates hitting $65M/year.

Tried telling y’all about 2 years ago and someone told me I was, more-or-less, a fanboy.

He’s basically a create-a-player from video games in real life. Leads the league in home runs, 3.3 ERA and is 4th is strikeouts. I don’t care if you don’t like baseball, if you like greatness you should be watching.
He’s one of the best all time anywhere.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
29th HR tonight. Guy is not human. He’s just ringing up dollar signs with every plate appearance.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Definitely reminiscent of Babe Ruth. Not much into baseball these days but total respect on what he’s doing.
It’s better than Babe Ruth.

Babe was never a power hitter and a star pitcher concurrently. He pitched for 6 years hitting 49 total HR’s in that span in barely over 1000 at bats, then he switched to full time hitting… making 4 total pitching starts the rest of his career.

The talking heads spouting this comparison don’t even know this. Babe did both, but in 2 different careers. Ohtani is doing both at the same time.

Still, he’s not getting 65m$ AAV. He’ll get more than either hitters or pitchers, but it’ll be something like 40-50m$ a year.

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score

Babe was never a power hitter and a star pitcher concurrently. He pitched for 6 years hitting 49 total HR’s in that span in barely over 1000 at bats, then he switched to full time hitting… making 4 total pitching starts the rest of his career.

The talking heads spouting this comparison don’t even know this. Babe did both, but in 2 different careers. Ohtani is doing both at the same time.

Still, he’s not getting 65m$ AAV. He’ll get more than either hitters or pitchers, but it’ll be something like 40-50m$ a year.

Look up DEAD BALL in baseball history

and he was a great pitcher before he set records in hitting so once again you are wrong. No to mention designated hitter was NOT around back then.

You really need to research more before you post

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Look up DEAD BALL in baseball history

and he was a great pitcher before he set records in hitting so once again you are wrong. No to mention designated hitter was NOT around back then.

You really need to research more before you post
Nothing you said disputes what I said. I’m not wrong, he was great at both… he just didn’t do both at the same time like Ohtani. DH is not an excuse for it, SO gets most of his at bats in between starts. Babe chose to be a pitcher, than in 1919 chose to direct his efforts entirely to hitting. Very different situation

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score
Nothing you said disputes what I said. I’m not wrong, he was great at both… he just didn’t do both at the same time like Ohtani. DH is not an excuse for it, SO gets most of his at bats in between starts. Babe chose to be a pitcher, than in 1919 chose to direct his efforts entirely to hitting. Very different situation
You clearly know nothing about baseball back then or Babe Ruth and apparently are proud of that.
And guess what?
Just to show you what you don't know, Babe Ruth was told he was going to be a full time player for the Yankee. HE had NO CHOICE AT ALL.
Do yourself a favor and read up on what baseball was like back then.
The fact that you did not know about the dead ball and its impact on the game shows how little you know.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You clearly know nothing about baseball back then or Babe Ruth and apparently are proud of that.
And guess what?
Just to show you what you don't know, Babe Ruth was told he was going to be a full time player for the Yankee. HE had NO CHOICE AT ALL.
Do yourself a favor and read up on what baseball was like back then.
The fact that you did not know about the dead ball and its impact on the game shows how little you know.
Nobody is saying anything to dispute any of that. That has nothing to do with the topic of the thread of my post. It’s like you’re trying to create a completely unrelated talking point; did you even read my comment?

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

IMO should be an HOF lock right now just because what he is doing has never been done

gtb1943

Reaction score
Nobody is saying anything to dispute any of that. That has nothing to do with the topic of the thread of my post. It’s like you’re trying to create a completely unrelated talking point; did you even read my comment?
I just owned you on your claims but hey I can undersand being afraid to admit you are wrong

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I just owned you on your claims but hey I can undersand being afraid to admit you are wrong
What am I wrong about? You fail to be specific, implying you’re just trolling. My point still stands after each comment you make because your arguments are vague and unrelated to what I said.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I haven't watched baseball in decades.
The pitch clock and bigger bases have made the game much more fun to watch. You get a better pace with the clock, and with the bags you see guys getting bigger leads and stealing. Small ball has been brought back to life to complement the "swing for the fences" mentality that took over for a couple of decades. Acuna (Braves) has 48 steals with 60+ games to go. The Reds have a really exciting player who can hit for power and might be one of the fastest players in baseball. Stole 2nd, 3rd, and home on just 2 pitches.

Then you have Shohei who threw a complete game 1-hitter today in the first game of a double-header. Came back in game 2 and launched 2 homeruns. I've been casually following but this year there are some players really worth watching. The Marlins have a guy who hits almost solely for average and has multiple 5/5 games this year. Currently sitting around .376 but he was flirting with .400 for a large part of the first half of the season.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What am I wrong about? You fail to be specific, implying you’re just trolling. My point still stands after each comment you make because your arguments are vague and unrelated to what I said.
Not my problem you are unable to comprehend reality and not your man crush.