Hill v. Allen

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Let's say the top safeties are all wiped out. We could go CB, WR, TE, but I think we want a DL.

It seems like Hill and Allen the top two DL guys we like that will realistically be there at 58. So, who do you pick?

I feel like Allen is the safe pick. He will probably be a Crawford - solid at three positions, but not spectacular and maybe even Crawford on steroids. I think he has a high floor, but the ceiling is not that high.

On another hand, Hill could be the 3T we have been lacking, but he could also be Taco pt. II, good physical traits, but never really develops. I think the ceiling is higher than Allen, but the floor is much lower.

Who do you guys pick? Don't want a flame war, I am not claiming to be a draft expert by any stretch. Just curious.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Let's say the top safeties are all wiped out. We could go CB, WR, TE, but I think we want a DL.

It seems like Hill and Allen the top two DL guys we like that will realistically be there at 58. So, who do you pick?

I feel like Allen is the safe pick. He will probably be a Crawford - solid at three positions, but not spectacular and maybe even Crawford on steroids. I think he has a high floor, but the ceiling is not that high.

On another hand, Hill could be the 3T we have been lacking, but he could also be Taco pt. II, good physical traits, but never really develops. I think the ceiling is higher than Allen, but the floor is much lower.

Who do you guys pick? Don't want a flame war, I am not claiming to be a draft expert by any stretch. Just curious.

Probably neither but if I have to pick 1 it would be Hill. I at least want a chance at having a disruptive force. I am leaning towards LJ Collier if the safety position is wiped out and no high value target surprisingly falls.

morasp

Reaction score
Allen, no brainer. Plug him into the DL rotation and don't worry about him. BTW he's been gone at 58 quite a bit lately. There are players later that would fit the 3T mold, I think they like Daniel Wise and Will McClay has a connection to him.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Allen, no brainer. Plug him into the DL rotation and don't worry about him. BTW he's been gone at 58 quite a bit lately. There are players later that would fit the 3T mold, I think they like Daniel Wise and Will McClay has a connection to him.

The Cowboys have drafted several DL from the Big 12 in recent years. I think there’s a good chance it happens again this year.

morasp

Reaction score
What’s the McClay to Daniel Wise?
It was an article I read a while ago so don't quote me but I'm pretty sure his dad was one of McClay's assistant coaches at one time. I just double checked, Deatrich Wise Sr. was McClay's assistant on the desperados.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Allen would complete our defensive line. I would draft him with 58 and draft Hooker for safety in the 3rd. Best defense in the NFC.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I like Wise a lot.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Zach Allen all day in that scenario...and I like Hill.
give me Allen and in the 3rd if I miss out on Hill...then I get Daniel Wise in the 4th.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Allen all day every day and 8 times on Sunday.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Zach Allen all day in that scenario...and I like Hill.
give me Allen and in the 3rd if I miss out on Hill...then I get Daniel Wise in the 4th.
If we don’t go DT at 58 or 90 we need to get Saunders and Wise with our 4th’s.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very very tough. This is the old upside vs bluecollar debate. On one hand you get a guy who in all likelihood will be a solid contributor, but also will not be a game changer. Very little bust possibility.

On the other side of the coin you have a guy w/ major athleticism and upside, but a much bigger bust potential. Not an easy decision at all.

DWare was a Hill-like draft pick.

Bradie James was an Allen-like draft pick. Maybe Dalton Schultz.