Twitter: Hip drop tackle banned

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you just know we will get flagged for a questionable hip drop at a crucial time in a game
Do you have complaints from the refs?
Now that is funny.................. :muttley:
How many drives did they keep alive for us last season?
Just ask the Lions................

Carson

Reaction score
Oh no.

This rule is going to make this place insufferable.

30 threads a week about: "But, but, THE REFS!!!!"

I can feel the victim mentality building already.
No it won’t. It’s fines not penalties

“expect more fines than flags as the league and coaches work to remove the technique.”

Carson

Reaction score
Do you have complaints from the refs?
Now that is funny.................. :muttley:
How many drives did they keep alive for us last season?
Just ask the Lions................
It won’t keep drives alive. Just players game checks less

”expect more fines than flags as the league and coaches work to remove the technique.”

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So if you try to tackle a guy around the waist, and he starts dragging you ....... do you just let go?
I'd have to look it up but the verbiage they were voting on was supposed to include two hands, completely dropping weight, twisting/swivel motion, and landing on the legs.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of banning the tackle, but honestly I think the NFL got it right here....IF it's actually officiated this way. The way it sounds it should only be a fraction of what many are considering a hip drop that should be called.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
If you have to be dragged, you are not tackling correctly. At that point, either trip them with your hands or possibly lose out on the tackle. It's still no excuse to grab the upper body and lunge your body into a ball carrier's legs.
So a corner should not even attempt to tackle a TE or big ball carrier ........ got it ...... I mean nobody gets dragged if they tackle correctly ...... right?

Swanny

Reaction score
NFL making defense impossible to play since Roger Goodell and Fanatasy Football. Don't blame the NFL because it makes them a ton more money but it's hardly football anymore.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I'd have to look it up but the verbiage they were voting on was supposed to include two hands, completely dropping weight, twisting/swivel motion, and landing on the legs.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of banning the tackle, but honestly I think the NFL got it right here....IF it's actually officiated this way. The way it sounds it should only be a fraction of what many are considering a hip drop that should be called.
These guys have trouble with roughing the passer calls and what is a catch ........ how are they gonna do something that complicated?

jujoboys

Reaction score
Makes sense

Some will bemoan this, and I get it.

But if Horse-collar is banned, so should this
I am happy they eliminated this tackle. A defender dropping his hip iand the entire weight of his body into the back of the offensive players ankles and knees is very dangerous. It hurt us in 2 playoff games if I recall. The Seattle playoff game we won but had the gruesome ankle injury to Allen Hurns and the other ankle injury to Cole Beasley which left him limping in the game. Then 2 years ago against SF we had the Tony Pollard injury in the playoff game. I think all 3 of these were a result of the hip drop tackle.

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To avoid people flipping out next year:

The Hip Drop tackle is NOT banned. The swivel hip drop is banned.

So when you see a hip drop next year and there’s no flag, that’s because it’s a legal play.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
No it won’t. It’s fines not penalties

“expect more fines than flags as the league and coaches work to remove the technique.”
Oh really? Hmmm... thats unusual.

I like it though...as a 1st step...to deter players from something unsafe, without ruining the game

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fine, now if they just get rid of the but munch, I'll be thrilled.

jujoboys

Reaction score
If you have to be dragged, you are not tackling correctly. At that point, either trip them with your hands or possibly lose out on the tackle. It's still no excuse to grab the upper body and lunge your body into a ball carrier's legs.
I don't think a lot of people understand how dangerous this tackle is. The offensive player is very lucky if they don't end up with a torn up knee or ankle when getting tackled with a hip drop. Like you said, if the person tackles properly they won't have a problem getting the other player down.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I have no problem with this being banned.

I do have a problem with the way it will inevitably lead to game changing calls when it isn’t clear whether a hip drop really occurred or not.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
These guys have trouble with roughing the passer calls and what is a catch ........ how are they gonna do something that complicated?
I wouldn't think it's that hard to be honest. These are 99% of the time open field tackles, 1v1, where all eyes are on the ball carrier. It's a grab, swivel, drop, and land on the legs. What they are banning is the most violent of the hip drop moves, not banning the move entirely. You'll still see plenty of hip drops during the season I would imagine. Defenders are just going to have to either drop straight down or rotate around the ball carrier enough to avoid landing on the legs.

Only time will tell us how good or bad this is actually called during the season, however it would appear the NFL left enough of a grey area that teams should be able to coach their defenders to adapt pretty easily. My early guess it that this gets called like crazy during the preseason, but during the regular season is something you see 1 or 2 times a week across the entire league.

jujoboys

Reaction score
So a corner should not even attempt to tackle a TE or big ball carrier ........ got it ...... I mean nobody gets dragged if they tackle correctly ...... right?
You don't see the tackle very often so there shouldn't be too many instances of it becoming an issue. However, when the tackle does happen then most of the time the offensive player is lying on the turf with a hurt ankle or knee. It's a pretty obvious tackling technique and should be easy to spot. The majority of players in the NFL tackle properly so i don't see it becoming an issue. .