Hip-Drop tackle debate (Sherman vs Bayless)

Cydios

Reaction score
Skip was using Tony Pollard's injurt last year as an example. The exchange might get Sherman released.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Skip never played a down of football. He should just shut up. Sherman was right!!!

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I HATED Sherman as a player....but love him as a commentator. Very thoughtful...logical guy.

I think he's right.

Just like when we tackled the Eagles tight end and his arm broke: everyone in here said "he put his arm out to the defenders face....what is the defender supposed to do? He either grabs the only thing he can grab (the tight ends arm) and pulls him down....or the tight end just stiff arms him all the way down the field to the end zone.

Same deal here.

There's just a lot of circumstances where you have to make desperation tackles. If they want to outlaw any defensive move that can be dangerous....just go watch the Pro Bowl from a few years ago for a glimpse of what the NFL will become (before they just ended it because it was so unwatchable due to all but the most basic tackling being outlawed by the players themselves)

Nothings gonna happen to Sherman for saying that. He was respectful...even if you don't agree with him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
they’ve figured out how to eliminate other high risk tackles in the game so I’m open to the idea of getting rid of it. With that said this one feels extremely difficult to actually do away with in todays NFL. Todays game is so heavily based on scheming guys open in space and that’s where these tackles happen. The NFL is going to have to give players an acceptable technique to use in place of this and I’m not sure what that looks like.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
they’ve figured out how to eliminate other high risk tackles in the game so I’m open to the idea of getting rid of it. With that said this one feels extremely difficult to actually do away with in todays NFL. Todays game is so heavily based on scheming guys open in space and that’s where these tackles happen. The NFL is going to have to give players an acceptable technique to use in place of this and I’m not sure what that looks like.
They will.

It's called a flag....that they'll wear on their belt.

You pull it off....you're "tackled".

Genius!!!!!!!

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Why is Sherman getting released? Is there something official stating this?

The Natural

Reaction score
I HATED Sherman as a player....but love him as a commentator. Very thoughtful...logical guy.

I think he's right.

Just like when we tackled the Eagles tight end and his arm broke: everyone in here said "he put his arm out to the defenders face....what is the defender supposed to do? He either grabs the only thing he can grab (the tight ends arm) and pulls him down....or the tight end just stiff arms him all the way down the field to the end zone.

Same deal here.

There's just a lot of circumstances where you have to make desperation tackles. If they want to outlaw any defensive move that can be dangerous....just go watch the Pro Bowl from a few years ago for a glimpse of what the NFL will become (before they just ended it because it was so unwatchable due to all but the most basic tackling being outlawed by the players themselves)

Nothings gonna happen to Sherman for saying that. He was respectful...even if you don't agree with him.
They're going to ban the hip drop tackle in the offseason, players will adapt just like they do with every other rule, and fans will get over it.

NickZepp

Reaction score
It'll be a weak rule if they do. People crying about it are probably the same ones crying about the tush push
Giants tried the push tush one game this year and had their own OG and QB get hurt on the play. BTW I don't think it should be banned either.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Giants tried the push tush one game this year and had their own OG and QB get hurt on the play. BTW I don't think it should be banned either.
And what other team got injured doing that play? Injuries are part of the game, you might as well ban the QB sneak because that's exactly what it is

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The technique, in my opinion, seems like it is used with the intent to inflict injury and I think only a few teams use it regularly. When it happened to Pollard it essentially ended the playoff game against the 9ers. Was it intentional? No one will ever know for sure. It happened to Dak too and destroyed the entire 2020 season.

I just don't like seeing key players getting injured, and this technique seems to cause an abnormally amount of injures.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This is like saying tackling should be banned. It's stupid. If players are running away from you, as a defender you just gotta let them go and have them run for 5-6 yards every time.
Why not try a different technique that isn't snapping ankles? The game survived without the hip drop technique for almost 100 years. If it wasn't causing so many injuries more teams would use it, but the technique isn't wide spread. Most players know its a dangerous move. Others don't care and make it seem like they are intentionally trying to injure.

I'm sure you would feel differently if it was your son, brother, etc. who got a leg snapped by this technique.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why not try a different technique that isn't snapping ankles? The game survived without the hip drop technique for almost 100 years. If it wasn't causing so many injuries more teams would use it, but the technique isn't wide spread. Most players know its a dangerous move. Others don't care and make it seem like they are intentionally trying to injure.

I'm sure you would feel differently if it was your son, brother, etc. who got a leg snapped by this technique.
If you’re tackling from behind you only have so many options, what technique do you recommend? I think it’s always been a thing we are just seeing so much more of it because of the style of game played today. As teams get better at scheming players open in space and QBs become running backs you see more LBs and DBs chasing the plays from behind. This didn’t happen 20 years ago because teams played with 4-3/3-4 defenses that kept everything in front of them and teams ran the ball between the tackles 20 times a game. Now the game is much more east/west than it used to be and we’ve gotten rid of the 6’3” 240lbs backers for the extra 6’ 200lbs DBs.

Running a player down from behind you really only have a few options…run through the player which gives up extra yardage when they fall forward. Pull your weight back which we are seeing here. The other option is to make defenders come from an angle and utilize a rolling technique which is sort of what they want them to do on sacks now. This is what I think COULD work but it’s a lot easier said than done.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I think Sherman is full of it on this one. I have tried to tackle people. When that guy is bigger than you it sucks. That said, a hip drop is largely an unnatural motion. Sure, from time to time my momentum might pull me onto a guys' legs as I try to get him down but in the vast majority of cases, I would have to unnaturally twist to drop by hips on a guys' ankles like what happened to the FSU guy.

Make it a personal foul. From time to time it still will happen, just like the horse collar and you will get a 15 yarder. Not the end of the world.

If we are worried about making the game too offense based . . . make it 15 yards to get a first down. Would be easy to implement and actually might make the game more fun to watch.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think Sherman is full of it on this one. I have tried to tackle people. When that guy is bigger than you it sucks. That said, a hip drop is largely an unnatural motion. Sure, from time to time my momentum might pull me onto a guys' legs as I try to get him down but in the vast majority of cases, I would have to unnaturally twist to drop by hips on a guys' ankles like what happened to the FSU guy.

Make it a personal foul. From time to time it still will happen, just like the horse collar and you will get a 15 yarder. Not the end of the world.

If we are worried about making the game too offense based . . . make it 15 yards to get a first down. Would be easy to implement and actually might make the game more fun to watch.
One thing I wonder is do you change how marking the spot is done? This could be a horrible idea but if you change it from the position of the ball to the spot of the defenders foot now you’re encouraging defenders to wrap the legs and let the runner fall forward without consequence. That’s a pretty radical change but an idea nonetheless

One of the pieces of the hip drop that I completely understand why it’s used is on tackles right by the first down line and you can’t let the runner get another inch.