Hip-Drop tackle debate (Sherman vs Bayless)

ATXSRT

Reaction score
What they really should do is bring back old school NFL tackling... the reason these tackles are even a thing is because if the defender hits up high it's a penalty. Now you can't hit low, it makes it impossible to be a defender in today's NFL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What they really should do is bring back old school NFL tackling... the reason these tackles are even a thing is because if the defender hits up high it's a penalty. Now you can't hit low, it makes it impossible to be a defender in today's NFL.
There is some truth in this. You didn’t see as many nasty leg injuries like this because old school football was heavy boxes, running north/south and precision passing attacks. Now everything is spread out, get as much speed as possible on the field because DBs are at such a disadvantage.

It doesn’t make for as sexy of a product but I do think old school rules would help make the game safer (in ways) by changing the style of offenses we see. The flip side of that though is we probably go back to seeing more head/neck injuries as the old school linebackers make a comeback.

Swagger

Reaction score
I think it should be banned due to all the injuries caused as a result.

Defensive backs should be allowed to play though. I much prefer no flags for a bit of contact. When they are covering receivers come on let them both play within reason.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think it should be banned due to all the injuries caused as a result.

Defensive backs should be allowed to play though. I much prefer no flags for a bit of contact. When they are covering receivers come on let them both play within reason.
This is how the league should be thinking IMO if they’re serious about banning the tackle. One of these happens in pretty much every game. If you take this play away from defenders you need to give something back both in order to maintain balance between offense/defense and also to not just add to the number of penalties called per game. I hate nothing more than watching a game where 20+ flags get thrown.