Hire Kris Richard to replace Eberflus?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Legit question. Talent trumps everything. No matter how good a play, or a scheme is: you needs players to execute and believe and scrap and fight and catch and stop catches, for everything they're worth.

Of course talent matters. But the talent gaps are slim in the league from mid-tier teams to the top. What makes the top teams is coaching and scheme. There are always bad teams that are perennially inept (like the Browns) , but the majority are capable of being .500-ish and then coaching assumes the control of the team's destiny that makes the difference between an 8-8 team and a 11-13 win team. And only the better coaches keep their teams above that 10 win mark consistently. And the big part of that statement is consistency, when only injuries can have a large impact on that.. Coaches like Belichick, McCarthy,Tomlin, Reid, etc. are consistent, at least in the regular season. That is how your team has a legitimate chance at the playoffs nearly every season.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Of course talent matters. But the talent gaps are slim in the league from mid-tier teams to the top. What makes the top teams is coaching and scheme. There are always bad teams that are perennially inept (like the Browns) , but the majority are capable of being .500-ish and then coaching assumes the control of the team's destiny that makes the difference between an 8-8 team and a 11-13 win team. And only the better coaches keep their teams above that 10 win mark consistently. And the big part of that statement is consistency, when only injuries can have a large impact on that.. Coaches like Belichick, McCarthy,Tomlin, Reid, etc. are consistent, at least in the regular season. That is how your team has a legitimate chance at the playoffs nearly every season.
Alex- were you expecting me to argue this, or were you simply masticating your ever-going bean on that post?
I explained myself quite eloquently, I think.

Reactions: BAT

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Alex- were you expecting me to argue this, or were you simply masticating your ever-going bean on that post?
I explained myself quite eloquently, I think.
I was masticating, as you say. That sounded vulgar though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give Richard a nice pay check and a few extra titles next to his name with a handshake agreement to take over for Rod. We need a contingency plan in place now with Rod already being on the fence. May not be a better name out there next year
Not sure why Seattle fired him, ton of injuries on that D and they still weren’t bad.

Well didn’t they say back when Kiffen and Rod came in that this would be similar to the Seattle d and not a direct Tampa 2 D.
Also he can influence getting Thomas to come here.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Richard earned a lot of criticism since he took over. After Bradley and Quinn, he was a real step down in a lot of people's eyes.

How much of that might be because the Legion of Boom fell apart and got old, who knows.

At least the secondary, especially safeties, will improve. Keep Rod coaching DL until they can find another guy. Draft better LBs.

Lane21Train

Reaction score
This move makes too much sense to actually happen, they’ll probably just make BW Webb the new pass game coordinator or something dumb.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Richard needs to be our DC not lb coach....although with Seattle's success lately, I'd take their waterboy to replace rod at this point if he'd commit to a real 1 tech

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Richard needs to be our DC not lb coach....although with Seattle's success lately, I'd take their waterboy to replace rod at this point if he'd commit to a real 1 tech

Richard does not have experience coaching LB or DL positions. He was secondary coach at both USC and Seahawks before promotion to DC. Hiring him as LB coach would not be advisable.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give Richard a nice pay check and a few extra titles next to his name with a handshake agreement to take over for Rod. We need a contingency plan in place now with Rod already being on the fence. May not be a better name out there next year
Not sure why Seattle fired him, ton of injuries on that D and they still weren’t bad.

o-KEITH-RICHARDS-SACRAMENTO-facebook.jpg

speedkilz88

Reaction score
How about passing game coordinator? That was Eberflus' position since last year.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The guy isn't even 40 yet ; hire him and hope he returns our defense to "Doomsday" and stays on for half a decade or more..........................

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yea, this is really a no brained, in that we'd have to look into bringing him in. Whether he refuses or not is a different story.

It seems Seattle let him out of his contract to "persue" other opportunities, so coming here would be a demotion. But spaces are drying up. The Giants don't have a DC yet and are hiring an offensive coach, but the Bears kept Fangio, the Lions hired a 3-4 guy, the Cardinals are still undecided, but have 3-4 personnel, Colts hired a 3-4 guy, and the Titans, while undecided, have 3-4 personnel

Last edited: