Hire Ron Rivera for Defensive Coordinator

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
This is exactly the type of person that can improve our defense. The Bears defense slid since he left. People said Rivera was a figurehead and that Lovie Smith was the brains but now we can see that wasn't true. The Bears defense dropped from 5th last year to 28th this year. Rivera is an ex-linebacker (edit) and I think he could improve our pass rush. I also like his philosophy of teaching concepts and simplifying the defense. I truly believe a guy like Rivera would enable our guys to be even more aggressive. He is doing a great job as the Chargers linebackers coach this year.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1900902 said:
I'll **** a brick if we start playing Tampa 2.

Do the Chargers play the Tampa 2? Sorry, rhetorical question. I think it could be a great idea.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1900935 said:
Do the Chargers play the Tampa 2? Sorry, rhetorical question. I think it could be a great idea.

Rivera is the LB coach, so its not like he has any major input into what they do on defense.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1900946 said:
Rivera is the LB coach, so its not like he has any major input into what they do on defense.

That doesn't mean anything. Sean Payton was our QB coach but he functioned as our OC. Rivera was a previous DC. Do you really think San Diego didn't allow him more input and responsibility regardless of his title

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1900977 said:
That doesn't mean anything. Sean Payton was our QB coach but he functioned as our OC. Rivera was a previous DC. Do you really think San Diego didn't allow him more input and responsibility regardless of his title

I really dont. No one wanted this guy as a coach or a defensive coordinator last offseason.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1900946 said:

So he wasn't a good D Co for the Bears? Bears D this year vs last says a lot to me about Ron Rivera as a D coach? He can only be a good 4-3 coach? How do you know how much input he has?

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1900988 said:
I really dont. No one wanted this guy as a coach or a defensive coordinator last offseason.

Actually all the DCo jobs were probably filled by the time he could interview. Okay, head coach may be another situation.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1901039 said:
Actually all the DCo jobs were probably filled by the time he could interview. Okay, head coach may be another situation.

If he was THAT good, some team would have waited for him to be DC. The guy got friggin demoted by 32 NFL teams. I think that speaks volumes about his abilities as a coach.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1901039 said:

Exactly, there were no DC positions available by the time he exhausted the head coaching positions. He was seeking a head coaching position so he only interviewed for those jobs. When he didn't get a head coaching gig, there were no DC positons available. The Chargers were smart to hire him.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901054 said:
If he was THAT good, some team would have waited for him to be DC. The guy got friggin demoted by 32 NFL teams. I think that speaks volumes about his abilities as a coach.

You are simplifying the situation. How were teams going to know he would be available for them to wait on him? He could have gotten a head coaching gig or a renewal with his own team.

You do have a point though. A lot of people probably thought he was overrated and that Lovie Smith was the brains behind the defense but now I think it's clear that Rivera had an impact on that defense last year to say the least.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1901115 said:
You are simplifying the situation. How were teams going to know he would be available for them to wait on him? He could have gotten a head coaching gig or a renewal with his own team.

You do have a point though. A lot of people probably thought he was overrated and that Lovie Smith was the brains behind the defense but now I think it's clear that Rivera had an impact on that defense last year to say the least.

The Bears defense was decimated by injury this year. Its hard to compare the Bears defenses from the past 2 seasons and conclude that Rivera did any better than Babich. Vasher was hurt for most of the season, Tillman missed time, Urlacher was banged up all year, Mike Brown had his yearly injury, Dvoracek was out, Tommie Harris was playing on one leg, and thats just what I can remember off the top of my head.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901140 said:
The Bears defense was decimated by injury this year. Its hard to compare the Bears defenses from the past 2 seasons and conclude that Rivera did any better than Babich. Vasher was hurt for most of the season, Tillman missed time, Urlacher was banged up all year, Mike Brown had his yearly injury, Dvoracek was out, Tommie Harris was playing on one leg, and thats just what I can remember off the top of my head.

The Bears had injuries to Tommie Harris and Mike Brown last year under Rivera so I don't think injuries can completely explain their performance. And they slipped a lot. They went fro 5th to 28th. It would be one thing if they slipped from 5th to 15th but injuries don't explain that much of a drop.

The thing that concerns me about Rivera is could he coach a 3-4? I think that was the issue why Jerry didn't sign him last year.