History behind a classic

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In Liverpool, England, there was a bronze statue in a park of a young woman, I forget who. She was probably some princess, but she was generally hated as having been the rudest royal who ever lived. People hated that she was honored in this way, so they pelted the statue daily with whatever they had on hand. They threw food, old soda cans and bottles, rocks, whatever they had on hand. There was even a woman who threw a broken baby carriage at it.
There was one gentleman who had had enough of the mess it was creating, and saw an opportunity to make some money. He went there with a super industrial blow torch and disassembled the statue into several manageable pieces, then he took them back to his blacksmith's workshop. He then used a special furnace to melt down each piece and extract the copper from the tin in a process known as “smelting.” He was able to make a tidy profit from those metals, though he did get arrested for vandalization and theft. However, the court was so relieved that someone finally rid the park of that awful statue that they let him go. The Rutles, upon hearing the story, were inspired to write their hit song, “Pelt her, smelt her.”
(You probably have to be at least 50 to get this one.)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In Liverpool, England, there was a bronze statue in a park of a young woman, I forget who. She was probably some princess, but she was generally hated as having been the rudest royal who ever lived. People hated that she was honored in this way, so they pelted the statue daily with whatever they had on hand. They threw food, old soda cans and bottles, rocks, whatever they had on hand. There was even a woman who threw a broken baby carriage at it.
There was one gentleman who had had enough of the mess it was creating, and saw an opportunity to make some money. He went there with a super industrial blow torch and disassembled the statue into several manageable pieces, then he took them back to his blacksmith's workshop. He then used a special furnace to melt down each piece and extract the copper from the tin in a process known as “smelting.” He was able to make a tidy profit from those metals, though he did get arrested for vandalization and theft. However, the court was so relieved that someone finally rid the park of that awful statue that they let him go. The Rutles, upon hearing the story, were inspired to write their hit song, “Pelt her, smelt her.”
(You probably have to be at least 50 to get this one.)
I'm almost 60, and I've never heard of it.

csirl

Reaction score
Ive been Liverpool many times and never heard this story.

Sounds like an Eric Idle comic story.