HOFer Sammy Baugh Dies

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hall of Fame QB Baugh dead at 94

Associated Press

Updated: December 17, 2008, 9:04 PM ET

ROTAN, Texas -- Sammy Baugh, who set numerous passing records with the Washington Commanders in an era when NFL teams were running most every down, died Wednesday night, his son said.

Baugh, who was 94 and had numerous health issues, died at Fisher County Hospital, David Baugh said.

He was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class.

After starring at TCU, "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh played with the Commanders from 1937 to 1952.

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
RIP Sammy...Great football player. Was also a real character......was not shy about telling it like it was.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The last of the old greats. What a player. I wish I could have seen him play. Threw for almost 22K yds.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Never would have thought he was still alive. I have a 52 bowman card of his. The game was pretty different back then.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
I must admit, I had no idea he was still around. What a loss, but what a life!

burmafrd

Reaction score
The first true modern QB. An incredible talent. And from all accounts a great guy. RIP.

morieeel

Reaction score
Cbz40;2502911 said:
RIP Sammy...Great football player. Was also a real character......was not shy about telling it like it was.

Yep, his interviews on NFL films were classics.

RIP Sammy

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
http://img407.*************/img407/4199/u918282acmexf3.jpg

Farewell, Sam.

bmf31

Reaction score
bbgun;2502983 said:
http://img407.*************/img407/4199/u918282acmexf3.jpg

Farewell, Sam.

The kid on the right was my high school football coach!

David Baugh

R.I.P Sammy Baugh

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
morieeel;2502975 said:
Yep, his interviews on NFL films were classics.

RIP Sammy

Yep, those are great. I could watch them all day.

Kinda funny really. The two biggest icons in skins history are both Texans.

Baugh and D. Green.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
burmafrd;2502967 said:
The first true modern QB. An incredible talent. And from all accounts a great guy. RIP.

agreed 100 %

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bmf31;2502988 said:
The kid on the right was my high school football coach!

David Baugh

R.I.P Sammy Baugh
I am glad you shared that with us. Thank you.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
RIP Baugh. Great ball player, from footage I've seen and some classic games I've watched.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Thoughts of Sammy Baugh

It's not often when you interview someone you think you should do something to remember the moment, but driving down a lonely dirt driveway I was keenly aware of the rarity of what I had just done - talked with Sammy Baugh. It was a long drive that day, and one that I wasn't looking forward to, but with the news that the former TCU and NFL great died I am reminded how worth the time it was.

It was in 2000, I think, I drove out to Rotan to interview Baugh. His ranch house located just outside of Nowhere was about as non-descript as could be expected. About the only thing I remember about his land was just how much of it there was, as well as the two mountain peaks off in the distance.

But Baugh was sitting back in his family room when his daughter just told me to go back there and sit down. I sat down and he just talked and talked and talked.
From his days of playing at TCU, taking classes there, working there cleaning blackboards before he went on to fame with the NFL.

He eventually showed me some of his pictures and trophies, nearly of which were located in a dark hallway. It wasn't as if Baugh was trying to hide anything, but he found no reason to have it all displayed prominently. A man who chose to live out in Rotan, despite the fact he probably could have lived nearly anywhere he wanted, reveals a little something about his character.

I always thought it was a shame he didn't get over to Fort Worth, or wherever, more often. But he didn't want to. He liked sitting in that chair, and watching football. At that time, he could still really play golf.

Baugh was incredibly charming, despite his use of four-letter words.

Before I left, he asked me if I wanted anything to drink as he opened his 'fridge. I said I'd take a Dr. Pepper, and just before he handed it to me he shook the can real hard. I will always remember that laugh and smile as he handed me the can of soda. He knew what was coming.
Sam Baugh died on Wednesday, and the football world lost one of its most modest, and true treasures.

- Mac Engel

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;2502897 said:
Hall of Fame QB Baugh dead at 94

Associated Press

Updated: December 17, 2008, 9:04 PM ET

ROTAN, Texas -- Sammy Baugh, who set numerous passing records with the Washington Commanders in an era when NFL teams were running most every down, died Wednesday night, his son said.

Baugh, who was 94 and had numerous health issues, died at Fisher County Hospital, David Baugh said.

He was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class.

After starring at TCU, "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh played with the Commanders from 1937 to 1952.

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Baugh was one of the top-3 all-around football players of all-time IMO. He was an all-pro at QB, DB, & P. He was a revolutionary passer and some of his punting records will never be broken.

He was also an ornery old cuss who spoke his mind and didn't give a damn what anyone else thought of it. Politically correct he wasn't and didn't care.

He & Darrell Green are the only two Commanders players I really liked. Great player and a great QB. Nice that he lived to such a ripe old age.

Here's to you Sammy :beer2: