HOFer Sammy Baugh Dies

RoadRunner

Reaction score
A true legend, and one of, if not the most versatile players of all time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BaugSa00.htm

1943 was an incredible year for him that no single player is likely to ever duplicate. He lead the league in passing attempts, completions, and completion percentage on offense. He was the best punter in every category on special teams. Finally, he lead the league in interceptions on defense.

Incredible.

RIP

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
R.I.P. Sammy

I and football fans everywhere mourn your passing, and thank you for adding so much to the game we love.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
What a loss, rest in peace Sammy. Probably the best multi talent player in NFL history.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Truly a shame. Not too long ago, I was *this* close to getting him to autograph a football I had. That would have been special. Not as special as he was, but special. RIP Sammy Baugh and God bless.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Robert Duvall said that much of how he portrayed Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove came from a visit he had with Sammy Baugh.

94. I guess I didn't realize he was still even alive.

RIP.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Interesting bit of trivia.

Robert Duvall is known to work really hard in researching the characters he portrays in films. When he began preparing for the role of Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove, Sammy Baugh was one of the guys he studied. He had noticed that a lot of the old Texans had a certain cadence and way of using their arms and hands when they talked.

I've seen NFL Films interviews with Sammy Baugh and you can see some of Augustus McCrae in him.

RIP Sammy Baugh

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2503572 said:
Robert Duvall said that much of how he portrayed Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove came from a visit he had with Sammy Baugh.

RIP.

Chief;2503590 said:
Interesting bit of trivia.

Robert Duvall is known to work really hard in researching the characters he portrays in films. When he began preparing for the role of Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove, Sammy Baugh was one of the guys he studied. He had noticed that a lot of the old Texans had a certain cadence and way of using their arms and hands when they talked.

I've seen NFL Films interviews with Sammy Baugh and you can see some of Augustus McCrae in him.

RIP Sammy Baugh
This is an interesting tidbit that I did not know. Thanks guys.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Yeah, no doubt. Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite movies of all time. Thats a great story about Baugh and Duvall.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2503572 said:

RIP.

You beat me to it.