Twitter: Hoge: The historic start of Cowboys Rookie QB Dak Prescott continues

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RG3 was in a gimmick offense that the league had yet to figure out. He couldn't beat teams in the pocket which ALL QB's have to do in order to win a Super Bowl. The only time he could beat teams from the pocket is if the LB's bit on the playfake and left a wide open throwing lane to the receiver.

YR

Fully agree with you. Dak is not playing off physical skills alone he is using his head making the reads and delivering the ball where he needs to go. Early on people were down on him about not going deep yet now we are seeing him looking deep and making some big throws. I think as he continues to see different schemes being thrown at him he is showing good adjustment within the game to beat it and lastly I think the game is starting to slow down for him. As fast as things are moving in the NFL compared to college it takes time for many young QB to adapt to the speed of the game and it seems to me the game is starting to slow down for him.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I don't think people realize the extent of how incredible it is for a 4th round rookie to be taking the NFL by storm from the start. Did not sit a few games and learn; he was just thrown into the water and told to learn to swim and go as fast as he can. Also I brought this up before, but he doesn't even carry any cheat sheet on his wrist like some VETERAN QBs and most rookie QBs do..

He is no bus driver-----the team needs for the offense to succeed and he is doing just that. Bmore took the run away and left it up to Dak to beat them; so he did. It's pick your poison all over again. You know how painful it must feel for Hoge to credit Dak and lay some admiration to a Cowboy? But I agree.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't think people realize the extent of how incredible it is for a 4th round rookie to be taking the NFL by storm from the start. Did not sit a few games and learn; he was just thrown into the water and told to learn to swim and go as fast as he can. Also I brought this up before, but he doesn't even carry any cheat sheet on his wrist like some VETERAN QBs and most rookie QBs do..

He is no bus driver-----the team needs for the offense to succeed and he is doing just that. Bmore took the run away and left it up to Dak to beat them; so he did. It's pick your poison all over again. You know how painful it must feel for Hoge to credit Dak and lay some admiration to a Cowboy? But I agree.

With performances like that from Dak, it will be hard for defenses to game plan to stop the Cowboys. They are going to have to play honest both ways.

Would love to have MO back to sit Carr, Brown is golden! Then, Freeney might end up being that piece of the puzzle that got lost before we started.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We struck gold, guys (and gals). Hoping for a better outcome than Ben Roethlisberger in his rookie year.

As an aside, you've gotta feel for Romo. Not only did he get injured in the preseason, we picked the one quarterback who has become MORE than a backup and more than a bus driver.

Outside of Wentz (who I think would have done well behind this line and with Elliott), if we had selected any other quarterback, Romo would be back under center.

I'm beyond thrilled. I was hoping the team could land Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook, but Dak is surpassing them by far. This is so cool because I was really bummed when Jerry's attempt to get Lynch failed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Fully agree with you. Dak is not playing off physical skills alone he is using his head making the reads and delivering the ball where he needs to go. Early on people were down on him about not going deep yet now we are seeing him looking deep and making some big throws. I think as he continues to see different schemes being thrown at him he is showing good adjustment within the game to beat it and lastly I think the game is starting to slow down for him. As fast as things are moving in the NFL compared to college it takes time for many young QB to adapt to the speed of the game and it seems to me the game is starting to slow down for him.

I'm not interested in if a QB goes deep. If you read KC Joyner's analysis of Tom Brady, you find that he has been, at best, average on deep pass accuracy. Some years he's been a little mediocre.

But, whey you look at his data, overall, particularly at yards per attempt, he's one of the league's best QB's.

What it means is that Brady is a tremendous underneath thrower of the ball. He finds the guy wide open, he anticipates about as well as one can and his accuracy is excellent. Pair him with a Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola and Gronkowski, you get a guy that puts up monster stats and doesn't turn the ball over despite not being a very good deep ball passer.

I laugh at people that say that Dak would not have had a good game if it weren't for the screen pass to EE against the Steelers. It's short sighted because he may have gone on to drive the team down the field and pad his stats even more. But, it's also short sighted because he had to fake the screen to the left perfectly and then be collected enough to make the pass to EE when he had Steelers defenders coming at him.

And he has been without Dez for a few games.

YR

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm beyond thrilled. I was hoping the team could land Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook, but Dak is surpassing them by far. This is so cool because I was really bummed when Jerry's attempt to get Lynch failed.

Based on what I've read about Cook, I don't think he would have been as accommodating to the fact that Tony Romo could come back to take his starting position.

I like how Dak approached it. He kept saying, "This is Romo's team" yet kept performing to the point where now that they've handed the team over to Dak, even Romo is in a position that, while he may not like it, he can respect the fact that Dak didn't bad mouth him and won it on the field.

I just don't know if any other quarterback would have handled it the way Dak did.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Based on what I've read about Cook, I don't think he would have been as accommodating to the fact that Tony Romo could come back to take his starting position.

I like how Dak approached it. He kept saying, "This is Romo's team" yet kept performing to the point where now that they've handed the team over to Dak, even Romo is in a position that, while he may not like it, he can respect the fact that Dak didn't bad mouth him and won it on the field.

I just don't know if any other quarterback would have handled it the way Dak did.

I agree that Dak has handled this great. I would love to see Dak be the first rookie QB to win the Super Bowl.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not interested in if a QB goes deep. If you read KC Joyner's analysis of Tom Brady, you find that he has been, at best, average on deep pass accuracy. Some years he's been a little mediocre.

But, whey you look at his data, overall, particularly at yards per attempt, he's one of the league's best QB's.

What it means is that Brady is a tremendous underneath thrower of the ball. He finds the guy wide open, he anticipates about as well as one can and his accuracy is excellent. Pair him with a Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola and Gronkowski, you get a guy that puts up monster stats and doesn't turn the ball over despite not being a very good deep ball passer.

I laugh at people that say that Dak would not have had a good game if it weren't for the screen pass to EE against the Steelers. It's short sighted because he may have gone on to drive the team down the field and pad his stats even more. But, it's also short sighted because he had to fake the screen to the left perfectly and then be collected enough to make the pass to EE when he had Steelers defenders coming at him.

And he has been without Dez for a few games.

YR

I'm not overly concerned with the deep ball either only to the extent of backing CB off. If DB's know you will not challenge them deep they can start pressing and becoming more aggressive on the short routs. The fear of jumping routs and getting beat over the top will force DB to back off. I agree Brady will sit there and pick teams alive with slant and intermediate routs but you start cheating up on those routs and a DB will look pretty silly as Brady takes them deep. he may not throw many within a game but when he does he can make you pay.

What I am seeing in Dak is he is seeing those opportunities down the field in large part because team are looking to squeeze the underneath routs. As I have heard many HC say even an incomplete deep ball will at the least keep the DB aware that you will take it down field

Zman5

Reaction score
How many times do you see a team convert 1st and 30? Not only we converted, we scored a TD after few plays. That drive was all Dak. That drive turn the game around. That was big time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned with the deep ball either only to the extent of backing CB off. If DB's know you will not challenge them deep they can start pressing and becoming more aggressive on the short routs. The fear of jumping routs and getting beat over the top will force DB to back off. I agree Brady will sit there and pick teams alive with slant and intermediate routs but you start cheating up on those routs and a DB will look pretty silly as Brady takes them deep. he may not throw many within a game but when he does he can make you pay.

What I am seeing in Dak is he is seeing those opportunities down the field in large part because team are looking to squeeze the underneath routs. As I have heard many HC say even an incomplete deep ball will at the least keep the DB aware that you will take it down field

Production is production.

It likes the old saying in golf...it's not how, it's how many?

If a QB is massively productive like Dak has been and is doing it thru screen passes, then he's doing something right. No sense for any QB to not play to his strengths.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Production is production.

It likes the old saying in golf...it's not how, it's how many?

If a QB is massively productive like Dak has been and is doing it thru screen passes, then he's doing something right. No sense for any QB to not play to his strengths.

YR

Totally agree. However I still want to see Dak become a complete QB, making all the throws. This is not to say he can't make the deep throws I know he can I have seen him do it. I think really what it comes down to is being able to have the game start to slow down for you to be able to scan the entire field quickly and see the opportunities down the field. I saw several instance yesterday where Dak looked deep and did not like what he saw then came back down to the shorter rout. I could not be happier with how Dak is playing but I also know as a rookie he is not a finished product he can become even better and I think he will.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not gonna say I saw THIS....like 9-1....MVP caliber THIS....but I swear...after that Rams game...it was like this dude was dropped at the stadium from a meteor or something. There's something different about him.
Have to pinch myself. 4th round?