Holding Calls?

jordan20

Reaction score
Listening to NFL Radio on Sirius. The media blows me away, S.Sharpe and Bob Pappa(Giants radio man) can not believe they called holding on the TD run and KO return. I'm starting to turn to the Giants as the most hated team in our divsion. I'm tired of their excuses.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Those were clear holding calls. The reason not every holding call is ever flagged is because the refs are moving their eyes trying to watch so many things. Blink and you can miss a call. The refs happened to be watching when those holds occurred and rightfully threw the flag.

They showed a replay yesterday of the long play to Shockey just before halftime. The Giants RT had his hand all over the face mask of the guy he was blocking. I think it was Spencer, but I am not certain if it was him. If the refs see and make that call the Giants don't get 3 points just before halftime.

jordan20

Reaction score
joseephuss;1760555 said:
Those were clear holding calls. The reason not every holding call is ever flagged is because the refs are moving their eyes trying to watch so many things. Blink and you can miss a call. The refs happened to be watching when those holds occurred and rightfully threw the flag.

They showed a replay yesterday of the long play to Shockey just before halftime. The Giants RT had his hand all over the face mask of the guy he was blocking. I think it was Spencer, but I am not certain if it was him. If the refs see and make that call the Giants don't get 3 points just before halftime.

I agree with you, I was just making the comment that most media twists and turns things. We made just as many mistakes as the Giants but we are the better football team this year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
jordan20;1760527 said:
S.Sharpe and Bob Pappa(Giants radio man) can not believe they called holding on the TD run and KO return.
So could they believe Umenyiora only had one tackle?

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I rewatched the first half last night and notice this nugget. On the Shockey vs Roy TD, #88 of the Giants goes and pushed Bradie James out of his zone some 10 yards down the field. That offensive pass interference gave Shockey the inside in. You can see James livid after the play.

Plus i thought the Giants held the whole game.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I also heard this on the way to work this morning.

Honestly, you're surprised that the media is already making excuses?

I already set my DVR to record the NFL shows this afternoon... I am anxious to see what kind of response the media gives us.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I am with you their...but we CANNOT allow guys to keep taking kicks back...regardless of whether was called or not...we should not even allowed ourselves to be in position where people are complaing about a kick return being called back...I mean this team is not even a great return team, so why in the heck is someone taking a kick back to the house against us? How come none of us are addressing that little nugget?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
bbailey423;1760728 said:
I am with you their...but we CANNOT allow guys to keep taking kicks back...regardless of whether was called or not...we should not even allowed ourselves to be in position where people are complaing about a kick return being called back...I mean this team is not even a great return team, so why in the heck is someone taking a kick back to the house against us? How come none of us are addressing that little nugget?

Could be worse... we could have the Colts' special teams :laugh2:

jordan20

Reaction score
Speaking of special teams, is it just me but are you tired of turning on the other games and watching KO/PR for TD's on a regular basis and we can't even get a decent return this year? This is one area our team needs to upgrade in a hurry.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
jordan20;1760751 said:
Speaking of special teams, is it just me but are you tired of turning on the other games and watching KO/PR for TD's on a regular basis and we can't even get a decent return this year? This is one area our team needs to upgrade in a hurry.
we are very forunate that we have an offense that can drive the length of the field...but if Romo or TO has to miss a couple of games due to injury, we are going to wish we could make things a little easier for our offense by giving them a short field every now and then. Hopefully that will be fixed this offseason.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
bbailey423;1760728 said:

Exactly. Neither call was close enough to the play that it mattered.
If those roles were reversed, this place would be going crazy.:eek:

alancdc

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1760832 said:

Kind of like the MB III run on 4th and 1 in the Patriots game?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I didn't really think the one on the kickoff was a hold. Looked like our guy had his head down and was off balance and the Giant guy just kind of used his momentum and gave him a little push to the ground. Didn't look like he grabbed anything at all really. It doesn't matter since they drove down the field anyway. The one on Snee was definately a hold. To me it looked like Roy could have tripped Jacobs up, or at least slowed him down enough for other guys to stop him for only a few yards.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;1760555 said:

yup the giants rt hit spencer in the face twice but he didn't get a flag.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
jordan20;1760527 said:
Listening to NFL Radio on Sirius. The media blows me away, S.Sharpe and Bob Pappa(Giants radio man) can not believe they called holding on the TD run and KO return. I'm starting to turn to the Giants as the most hated team in our divsion. I'm tired of their excuses.
it's amazing they whine about "bad calls" when losing but didnt' say peep about the BULL calls that gave them 10 points and a parade of 1st downs in the first half. even that "taunting" penalty 15-yards is pathetic.

the NFL needs to forget the player crackdown and work on REF CRACKDOWN. these guys are dummies.

jordan20

Reaction score
Did anyone see after Columbo and Strahan mixed it up, the next play was a play to the left and Strahan hit Columbo upside the head several times. I thought headslaps were illegal?

hairic

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1761172 said:
I didn't really think the one on the kickoff was a hold. Looked like our guy had his head down and was off balance and the Giant guy just kind of used his momentum and gave him a little push to the ground. Didn't look like he grabbed anything at all really. It doesn't matter since they drove down the field anyway. The one on Snee was definately a hold. To me it looked like Roy could have tripped Jacobs up, or at least slowed him down enough for other guys to stop him for only a few yards.

This is a link to the 720p (12 seconds of video is 21.1 MB):

http://www.4shared.com/file/29095678/f99e30df/nyfg_holding_720p.html?dirPwdVerified=77a03bde

The first angle/clip is the most relevant one. I'm not even sure it's necessary to download the HD clip when the flv is pretty clear. He goes for the hug before there's contact between the two.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1760832 said:

How do you know? Are we to judge what a player can do and how much space he can make up if not held?

The guys were clearly held plain as day, and the correct calls were made. As far as our special teams and the fact that we should not have to have a return called back from gone so far, maybe true, but do we overhaul an entire defense when opponent scores against us more than once? That will happen and does... but if they get it because their guys hold defenders, then refs need to make the call. And yes, it goes both ways regardless of how "crazy" this place gets.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I dont have the stats, but I'd bet if they could be dug up we'd see there's quite a difference between the number of holding calls our guys have vs the holding calls on our opponents...there's also a huge difference in the plays those holding calls negate...the few holding calls we do get are usually on incomplete passes or short runs, whereas it seems liek virtually all ours wipe out huge plays or 3rd down conversions

I've seen Ellis and Ware get held for years and almost never get the calls...then I see really questionable, borderline or even phantom calls on our guys...but they SEE those and its called

Davi

BigWillie

Reaction score
Anyone have the Snee hold on Roy in a smaller file? I'm getting tired of debating this with a gints fan, so a file would be helpful. :)