Holy cow! Exact details of Barry Bonds steroid use revealed in CNN/SI!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
It's a long article so I'm not going to paste it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html?cnn=yes

Basically, some reporters got a hold of the federal documents in the BALCO case and pieced together exactly what he took.

He allegedly got jealous of the McGwire/Sosa home run battle and started juicing because of it. Get a load of this quote on how bad it was:

Depending on the substance, Bonds used the drugs in virtually every conceivable form: injecting himself with a syringe or being injected by his trainer, Greg Anderson, swallowing pills, placing drops of liquid under his tongue, and, in the case of BALCO's notorious testosterone-based cream, applying it topically.

According to the book, Bonds gulped as many as 20 pills at a time and was so deeply reliant on his regimen that he ordered Anderson to start "cycles" -- a prescribed period of steroid use lasting about three weeks -- even when he was not due to begin one. Steroid users typically stop usage for a week or two periodically to allow the body to continue to produce natural testosterone; otherwise, such production diminishes or ceases with the continued introduction of synthetic forms of the muscle-building hormone.

Bonds called for the re-starting of cycles when he felt his energy and power start to drop. If Anderson told Bonds he was not due for another cycle, the authors write, Bonds would tell him, "F--- off, I'll do it myself.''

It also has plenty of soap opera stuff:

In addition to detailing the drug usage, the excerpt portrays Bonds as a menacing boor, a tax cheat and an adulterer given to (probably because of the rampant steroid use) sexual dysfunction, hair loss and wild mood swings that included periods of rage. The authors report that Bonds gave Bell, with whom he continued his affair after his second marriage in January 1998, $80,000 in cash in 2001 from memorabilia income not reported to the IRS. Theirs was a volatile relationship. Bell retained answering machine recordings of him after he threatened to kill her, remarking that if she disappeared no one would be able to prove he even knew her.

In 2003, as their relationship completely unraveled, Bell angered Bonds by showing up late for a hotel rendezvous. According to the excerpt, Bonds put his hand around her throat, pressed her against a wall and whispered, "If you ever f-----' pull some s--- like that again I'll kill you, do you understand me?"

A few weeks later, the authors write, Bonds told Bell, "You need to disappear."

Man..... it really sounds like he sold his soul for that single season home run record. I guess it's not surprising for everyone who remembers the late 80s, early 90's Bonds who looked more like Bobby Bonds than Mark McGwire, but it's eye opening to read the details of his juice use and how helpful they were to his production. Baseball is ruined until these all of these juicer players retire, and even then, it's going to leave a huge stain in the record books. :thumbdo:

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
It looks like Roger Maris is still the REAL single season HR record holder with 61. Bonds needed massive steroid use to get his 73. McGwire needed something like steroids. Sosa needed a corked bat and stuff like steroids.

Barry Bonds should be stripped of all his records. He should not be allowed to be mentioned in the same breath as Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth who EARNED their 700+ career HRs. Aaron or Ruth didnt need to cheat by using steroids to get their big numbers.

Bonds
McGwire
Sosa

All should be stripped of their records and be banned for life from the HOF.

Barry Bonds the HR king. Yeah whatever. Steroid King is his REAL title.

What a joke.

I bet Bonds without steroids barely sees 400 HRs for his career.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
It looks like Roger Maris is still the REAL single season HR record holder with 61. Bonds needed massive steroid use to get his 73. McGwire needed something like steroids. Sosa needed a corked bat and stuff like steroids.

Barry Bonds should be stripped of all his records. He should not be allowed to be mentioned in the same breath as Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth who EARNED their 700+ career HRs. Aaron or Ruth didnt need to cheat by using steroids to get their big numbers.

Bonds
McGwire
Sosa

All should be stripped of their records and be banned for life from the HOF.

Barry Bonds the HR king. Yeah whatever. Steroid King is his REAL title.

What a joke.

I bet Bonds without steroids barely sees 400 HRs for his career.[/QUOTE]

You realize he already had 400 career home runs before these allegations started and the juiced era started...... Go and look at Hank Aarons career - he hit more home runs age 35-39 than any other 5 year period in career. Gaining weight and power is a natural progression.

Just wanted you to know Bonds career started in 1986.