Home field advantage throughout playoffs still possible

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Given the bipolar nature of this crowd, I hesitate to do this. So let me qualify this discussion up front: I do not think this is going to happen. I think it's extremely unlikely. But it is plausible and it doesn't actually require that many events to go our way. And since we seem to be peaking at the right time (knock on wood) and we had a full thread on whether or not we control our own destiny after 11 games, here goes. Except for #2, these are 'clean-cut' scenarios -- ones in which you don't have to get into the weeds of tiebreakers.

1. We win out. I certainly don't expect this to happen but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. (There are scenarios in which we could lose one and still win the division but I'm not dealing with those here. That just ain't worth the effort.)
  2. The Giants lose to the Commanders tomorrow and the Eagles the following week. I know, I know, but stranger things have happened. That, including the Cowboy victory over NY, would give us the division record tiebreaker (4-2 v. 3-3).
  3. The Commanders lose to someone other than NY -- at Baltimore might be the best best.
  4. Carolina loses twice, Atlanta and TB lose at least once. There are a few intradivision games left among those teams so we know we're going to get at least most of the way there.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
pipe_dream.png

Mansta54

Reaction score
utrunner07;2450695 said:
And its probably for the best.

Amen!! We're a much better road team and that's why we're gonna kick the Steelers arse in their own house next sunday....

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
The Panch;2450694 said:
Just let it go. We're not winning #1 seed.
Sure, it's almost certainly not going to happen. But the 3 events we really need to happen to make this a real possibility occur pretty quickly over the next 8-9 days: NYG v. Wash'n, Dall v. Pitt, and NYG v. Phil.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
It's a pipe dream because you got the Commanders beating the Giants.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Maxmadden;2450704 said:
It's a pipe dream because you got the Commanders beating the Giants.

I agree!!! The Foreskins can't score and now they can't pass protect or stop the run lately. I see them losing their next 2 games, at home against the Giants then at the Ravens...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just hope we somehow get in the playoffs.

Im still worried about that.

stiletto

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2450687 said:
Given the bipolar nature of this crowd, I hesitate to do this. So let me qualify this discussion up front: I do not think this is going to happen. I think it's extremely unlikely. But it is plausible and it doesn't actually require that many events to go our way. And since we seem to be peaking at the right time (knock on wood) and we had a full thread on whether or not we control our own destiny after 11 games, here goes. Except for #2, these are 'clean-cut' scenarios -- ones in which you don't have to get into the weeds of tiebreakers.

1. We win out. I certainly don't expect this to happen but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. (There are scenarios in which we could lose one and still win the division but I'm not dealing with those here. That just ain't worth the effort.)
  2. The Giants lose to the Commanders tomorrow and the Eagles the following week. I know, I know, but stranger things have happened. That, including the Cowboy victory over NY, would give us the division record tiebreaker (4-2 v. 3-3).
  3. The Commanders lose to someone other than NY -- at Baltimore might be the best best.
  4. Carolina loses twice, Atlanta and TB lose at least once. There are a few intradivision games left among those teams so we know we're going to get at least most of the way there.

Not gonna happen, get over it. The Cowboys will be LUCKY to make the playoffs at all. They've dug themselves a pretty big hole. I don't think they could have made it any harder on themselves. Losing to the Rams is just about the stoopidest thing that could have happened this year.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
stiletto;2450712 said:
Not gonna happen, get over it. The Cowboys will be LUCKY to make the playoffs at all. They've dug themselves a pretty big hole. I don't think they could have made it any harder on themselves. Losing to the Rams is just about the stoopidest thing that could have happened this year.

Maybe.

But the '92 team also lost to the Rams.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Mansta54;2450696 said:
Amen!! We're a much better road team and that's why we're gonna kick the Steelers arse in their own house next sunday....

we have lost only one home game this year and that was by two points.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
What's particularly interesting about this, IMO, is that we only need 3 events over the next 8 days to go our way in order for the division to be on the line in the Giants game. Commanders over NY, then the Eagles over NY, then the Cowboys over the Steelers. So, in effect, we only need two events to go our way in order for the Steelers game to be about having a shot at the division. If the Commanders beat the Giants tomorrow, at home, at 1:00 EST, and the Eagles can somehow upset the Giants on the road the following Sunday at 1:00, then the Cowboys face the Steelers at 4:00 knowing that, essentially, the division's on the line.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2450751 said:
What's particularly interesting about this, IMO, is that we only need 3 events over the next 8 days to go our way in order for the division to be on the line in the Giants game. Commanders over NY, then the Eagles over NY, then the Cowboys over the Steelers. So, in effect, we only need two events to go our way in order for the Steelers game to be about having a shot at the division. If the Commanders beat the Giants tomorrow, at home, at 1:00 EST, and the Eagles can somehow upset the Giants on the road the following Sunday at 1:00, then the Cowboys face the Steelers at 4:00 knowing that, essentially, the division's on the line.

In any scenario where we have a shot at the division, the Commanders in turn also have a shot.

it is better for us if the giants whip the skins tomorrow.

If the skins were to also lose to the eagles or get upset by the niners they would be in danger of missing the playoffs.

So really if the skins beat the giants tomorrow we will really be pulling hairs to win the division and make it as a wildcard.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
stiletto;2450712 said:
Hey, look -- I'm not assuming the Cowboys are going to make the playoffs. They've got an uphill battle. I'm just pointing out that if we continue to play well, not many things at all need to happen for us to have a shot at the division. And the jump from winning the division to home field throughout is actually pretty minor.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
theebs;2450753 said:
In any scenario where we have a shot at the division, the Commanders in turn also have a shot.

If the skins were to also lose to the eagles or get upset by the niners they would be in danger of missing the playoffs.

So really if the skins beat the giants tomorrow we will really be pulling hairs to win the division and make it as a wildcard.
I don't really disagree here. This is a good point. Thus #3 on my list. But it's not outrageous to imagine the Skins losing one of those last 4 games.

SilberBlau

Reaction score
theebs;2450753 said:

in this case, the big loser would be the NFC South. A race of three for the NFC East title should put all three teams into playoffs