Homerism? Perhaps. Silver Lining about FA? Perhaps as well

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of looking at the rosters of other Super Bowl teams throughout the past few years and see what percentage of their starters were guys that they had either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent.

I didn't have exact starting rosters that I could google, but I had the list of players on rosters and I've got a great memory. Either way, my numbers should be either spot on or a good ballpark figure.

Anyway, since 2000, the average percentage of starters on Super Bowl teams (SB winner and loser) that were either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent by their team has been 70%. That means on average, the starting rosters for each team in the Super Bowl has about 15 players that they either drafted or signed as a free agent.

From that, I have projections of Dallas having 15 starters they drafted, Washington with 6 starters they drafted, the Giants with 13, and Philly with 18 starters.

I'm assuming the following starters for next season's 2006 NFC East Teams:

Dallas

Bledsoe
Julius
Polite
Glenn
Key
Witten
Kosier
Rivera
Johnson
Allen
Adams
Canty
Spears
Ferguson
Ware
Burnett
James
Ayodele
Henry
Newman
Roy
Davis (or rookie draft pick)

Washington

Brunnell
Portis
Cooley
Sellers
Samuels
Dockery
Rabach
Thomas
Jansen
Moss
Lloyd
Salivea
Griffin
Wynn
Daniels (or Andre Carter)
Washington
Marshall
Free Agent to replace Arrington
Rogers
Springs
Taylor
Archuletta

NY Giants

Manning
Barber
Finn
Burress
Toomer
Petitgout
McKenzie
O'Hara
Snee
Diehl
Strahan
Allen
Joseph
Umenyiora
Griesen
Pierce
Arrington
Madison
Webster
Wilson
Alexander

Philly

McNabb
Parry
Westbrook
Lewis
Brown
Smith
Thomas
Hicks
Fraley
Andrews
FA for Runyan
Kearse
Cole
Patterson
Walker
Adams
Trotter
Jones
Brown
Sheppard
Lewis
Dawkins

lkelly

Reaction score
Washington has all but given up on the draft. That worked for them in the George Allen days, but I'm not sure it can be a winning formula in today's salary cap NFL. If you can't draft, you are forced to pay other teams to do your scouting for you. That's pricey.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Interesting ... you have Kosier at RT. I was wondering (if we keep LA) whether Kosier will battle it out with Pettiti for RT.