Honest question, What are the 49rs doing to confuse Dak

aikemirv

Reaction score
Honest question, not a bash Dak thread or anything at all. I don't mean it that way, he has been playing great.

He struggles against San Fran there is no debating that. What are they doing to us that is different and that he is struggling to handle? I am not a football coach or that knowledgeable in schemes or designs but obviously if there is something they are doing, there should be a way for our coaches to design a scheme around it. They are a good defense against the pass but not great by any means. Mid pack in yards allowed but #1 in ints.

Minnesota and Cinncinatti lit them up. Is that the film to study to figure out how to be successful against them?

Cydios

Reaction score
It may be mental and SOMETIMES a team is just perfectly matched. College football OSU ran into an unranked wall. They were just perfectly matched. It happens.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Honest question, not a bash Dak thread or anything at all. I don't mean it that way, he has been playing great.

He struggles against San Fran there is no debating that. What are they doing to us that is different and that he is struggling to handle? I am not a football coach or that knowledgeable in schemes or designs but obviously if there is something they are doing, there should be a way for our coaches to design a scheme around it. They are a good defense against the pass but not great by any means. Mid pack in yards allowed but #1 in ints.

Minnesota and Cinncinatti lit them up. Is that the film to study to figure out how to be successful against them?
IT’S A TEAM GAME!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
They pressure, they blow up plays, they take away any resemblance of a run game and they basically just make our offense completely predictable. I’m not sure it’s just a dak thing but really a coaching staff thing. Quinn’s defense hasn’t looked great against them either tbh - at least in moments where we need real stops.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The 49ers play zone and shade the coverage to CeeDee. The issue the last 3 times we have played the 49ers is their front 4 destroys our offensive line. Better line play you can beat the 49ers defense.

erod

Reaction score
It's really quite simple.

Dak has big trouble against zone defenses. However, zone defenses USUALLY allow for a more effective run game.

The problem is, the Niners are different in that they can shut down a run game completely without having to resort to man-to-man in coverage. They get us into 3rd and long a ton.

Dak prefers man coverage because he doesn't read those zone looks quickly. He plays really hesitant, and he doesn't trust his arm to throw into tight windows.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think we can beat any team at home. Doesn't mean we will, I just think we can. People that say the Jones boys don't do anything because we're not one player away, how many are we away? We're not that far. If we added a couple of pieces to this team I think we could beat anyone. I think we can do it now, given the right circumstances and playing at home.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They were able to get pressure. And we were not able to keep pressure or stop them. They have a group of players that do something we can’t stop consistently. Steele is becoming a problem. We are having to roll Dak out to his left side which is awkward looking.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

they generate pressure up front with their front 4 and they play zone scheme in the back and with the pressure they don't allow cowboys to attack down field, which is what we are good at, they force the ball to the middle and mid range at best. when you are able to drop 6,7 into coverage you take away a lot of the passing lanes. with Warner who is excellent, they force bad throws which lead to incompletes and interceptions. they are a very physical team and we have been unable to handle their physicality. they are also able to stop the rushing attack with just their front 4 and be disruptive and allow their LBs to flow to the ball quickly. we had total of 57 yards rushing this past game, with less than 3 YPC, which tells me we are often in 2nd and 3rd and long situation which plays right into their hand.

if this team doesn't learn to punch them in the mouth and fight back. we end up same place. I don't care if you have Mahomes back there.

and yes, btw, I want Dak to play better. not saying he played well. the whole team seemed to just roll over and give up

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They match up well with us, plus there is the mental factor of the Cowboys being snake bitten when facing SF.

Big D

Reaction score
IMO they did what we should have done to them. They pressed our wr's and applied pressure on the qb and the run game. Our wr's are not the type that thrive in press coverage. They can get open but it takes more time. Time that our o-line does not afford the qb. That's just basic football. We have the defense to do it teams, and were doing it in the games leading up to the 49er game, but for whatever reason we seemed to back off the wr's and purdy. It almost seemed intentional.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
It's really quite simple.

Dak has big trouble against zone defenses. However, zone defenses USUALLY allow for a more effective run game.

The problem is, the Niners are different in that they can shut down a run game completely without having to resort to man-to-man in coverage. They get us into 3rd and long a ton.

Dak prefers man coverage because he doesn't read those zone looks quickly. He plays really hesitant, and he doesn't trust his arm to throw into tight windows.
This

Zman5

Reaction score
They can rush the passer really well with only four rushers. Most OL will have hard time holding up against their Dline for a long pass plays. Their LB are fast and good at pass coverage. That makes it hard for the short to intermediate pass plays.

Bottom line is you need to have a very good OL or a good run game to be successful vs their defense..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The 49ers have a great defense, and we’re always having to play from behind against them. They mentioned on the telecast yesterday that the Cowboys are built to play with a lead and that’s been very evident this season. When we jump on teams and get ahead Dak and the entire team has been excellent, but when they get behind it’s been a struggle. We’ve only won one game all season where we had to come from behind. When we’ve gotten behind this season, our running game has struggled and the game gets thrown on Dak. Defenses are able to pin their ears back and come after him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
they generate pressure up front with their front 4 and they play zone scheme in the back and with the pressure they don't allow cowboys to attack down field, which is what we are good at, they force the ball to the middle and mid range at best. when you are able to drop 6,7 into coverage you take away a lot of the passing lanes. with Warner who is excellent, they force bad throws which lead to incompletes and interceptions. they are a very physical team and we have been unable to handle their physicality. they are also able to stop the rushing attack with just their front 4 and be disruptive and allow their LBs to flow to the ball quickly. we had total of 57 yards rushing this past game, with less than 3 YPC, which tells me we are often in 2nd and 3rd and long situation which plays right into their hand.

if this team doesn't learn to punch them in the mouth and fight back. we end up same place. I don't care if you have Mahomes back there.

and yes, btw, I want Dak to play better. not saying he played well. the whole team seemed to just roll over and give up
We are going to need to use our front 4 more against them. Use Parsons more as a LB. Hit the gaps and stop the run but also cover these quick close passes. That’s all purdy does is make high % short throws to players that get YAC. We need to play the same way they do early on Offense. Or use Dowdle early in the run game to pound the front 4 and make them come up on the line.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The 49ers play zone slightly more than man, but enough that it's hard to know what they are going to do. Disguise well.

Dak is best against the blitz and against man. Dak likes to throw to WRs who are either clearly open or he can anticipate coming open because they have beat their coverage. He is less sure of his reads against zone because it requires him to throw WRs into windows (obv Ferguson's emergency is helping this because deploying a TE against zone into windows is good). Note - this is not to say Dak is BAD against zone - he's just better against man.

So the 49ers strengths play into his weaknesses. They generate pressure with only 4 (and Bosa typically lines up against the RT so strength against weakness) and play zone and it's just harder. Add to that the LACK of a real run game is really making it harder.

Now

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
The 49ers play zone slightly more than man, but enough that it's hard to know what they are going to do. Disguise well.

Dak is best against the blitz and against man. Dak likes to throw to WRs who are either clearly open or he can anticipate coming open because they have beat their coverage. He is less sure of his reads against zone because it requires him to throw WRs into windows (obv Ferguson's emergency is helping this because deploying a TE against zone into windows is good). Note - this is not to say Dak is BAD against zone - he's just better against man.

So the 49ers strengths play into his weaknesses. They generate pressure with only 4 (and Bosa typically lines up against the RT so strength against weakness) and play zone and it's just harder. Add to that the LACK of a real run game is really making it harder.

Now
Crown, I think you nailed it. It's almost 50/50 (+/-) and because they disguise it so well, It's almost impossible for Dak to identify the difference on the field because of how fast the game is played.

pitt33

Reaction score
Agree with a lot of these replies…

• Dak struggles with zone concepts . Vic Fangio set the blueprint for Denver a couple years ago

• Niners play more physical. They just dominate both lines.

• Cowboys now have the mental block to conquer when playing them. It’s entrenched until they beat them.

Nice inquiry by the OP.