Honest question, What are the 49rs doing to confuse Dak

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I love the "he's better against man than zone" comments.

So is every QB in the history of the NFL lol. Dak has routinely through his career torched teams when they just sit back in zones. He was like 20/20 against Philly last year doing that.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I love the "he's better against man than zone" comments.

So is every QB in the history of the NFL lol. Dak has routinely through his career torched teams when they just sit back in zones. He was like 20/20 against Philly last year doing that.
I honestly don’t know how some of these NFL starters do it. Confusing as hell sometimes, and with that NFL speed, only a second to figure out the zone/man assignments. Only way to get an advantage is at the line which I think Dak manages pretty well. Greg Olsen always gives him kudos for it when he calls our games. I agree too that nobody was open in that game. Physical play. Either learn how to beat it or ****.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know how some of these NFL starters do it. Confusing as hell sometimes, and with that NFL speed, only a second to figure out the zone/man assignments. Only way to get an advantage is at the line which I think Dak manages pretty well. Greg Olsen always gives him kudos for it when he calls our games. I agree too that nobody was open in that game. Physical play. Either learn how to beat it or ****.
They pretty much all know man vs. zone based on motion at the snap.

Good teams know how to disguise the actual coverage.

btcutter

Reaction score
The 49ers play zone slightly more than man, but enough that it's hard to know what they are going to do. Disguise well.

Dak is best against the blitz and against man. Dak likes to throw to WRs who are either clearly open or he can anticipate coming open because they have beat their coverage. He is less sure of his reads against zone because it requires him to throw WRs into windows (obv Ferguson's emergency is helping this because deploying a TE against zone into windows is good). Note - this is not to say Dak is BAD against zone - he's just better against man.

So the 49ers strengths play into his weaknesses. They generate pressure with only 4 (and Bosa typically lines up against the RT so strength against weakness) and play zone and it's just harder. Add to that the LACK of a real run game is really making it harder.

Now
Yes.
The problem is more than Dak. Dak is not Brady, Manning. This Dallas team is one dimensional. It doesn't have a respectable run game. When a great D like 49ers can just rush 4 against your run while dropping 7 in coverage then passing lane is congested.

The time that Dallas killed Seattle's defense was when it would run the ball down your throat then play action when you try to stop the run.

Easier said than done. But this team is missing a running game against top tier teams.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The problem is that they used Dak incorrectly. In the San Francisco they should have used more play action, bootlegs and roll outs. Occasionally, they should have called a draw.

The problem is not just Dak. It was with our offense. We turned Dak into a pocket passer during the 9ers game. Their front 4 just teed off where Dak when he will be passing the ball. Thus it made it easier for their rushers to get to Dak.

CWR

Reaction score
It's really quite simple.

Dak has big trouble against zone defenses. However, zone defenses USUALLY allow for a more effective run game.

The problem is, the Niners are different in that they can shut down a run game completely without having to resort to man-to-man in coverage. They get us into 3rd and long a ton.

Dak prefers man coverage because he doesn't read those zone looks quickly. He plays really hesitant, and he doesn't trust his arm to throw into tight windows.

If he doesn't trust something it's his eyes.

He literally throws into tight coverage every game, on a regular basis.

CWR

Reaction score
The problem is that they used Dak incorrectly. In the San Francisco they should have used more play action, bootlegs and roll outs. Occasionally, they should have called a draw.

The problem is not just Dak. It was with our offense. We turned Dak into a pocket passer during the 9ers game. Their front 4 just teed off where Dak when he will be passing the ball. Thus it made it easier for their rushers to get to Dak.

Agreed and he seemed to take note of it as well, because immediately after that game we saw him return to using his legs.

Redline360

Reaction score
Dak has always struggled to read zone defenses especially on teams that can generate pressure rushing 4. Their LBs also fly to the ball very quickly.

The one series we pushed the ball downfield we basically marched down for the TD fairly easy. Then went back tk dump off passes who fn knows why. If Dak doesn't use his legs and we continue to play this 3-4y dump off passes they going to laugh us of the field again

We can't play bad defenses every weak. The only stout defense we have played so far is the jets when it comes to pass defense. Chargers, Giants, and the eagles are near the bottom. Rams and I actually believe the last time I checked the cards were middle of the pack. Teams that actually push the ball downfield have been very successful agaisnt the niners

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
If he doesn't trust something it's his eyes.

He literally throws into tight coverage every game, on a regular basis.
Not in tight games with much on the line. He double pumps everything then and pulls the string.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You need to read more to stop yourself from sounding foolish. This reply does not fit the OP in any way, shape, or form. Be embarrassed.
Still butt hurt over the Cowboys win and Dak playing great I see.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
This is the answer it’s that idiot McCarthy with his ultra conservative offense holding the reins on Dak when he plays the 49ers. Did you see Cousins attack their secondary in the game against the 49ers? He torched that secondary. Free Dak McCarthy let him play and he will get it done. 3 and 5 yard passes and screens don’t work go down field and for heavens sake USE Cooks and Gallup down the field.

shabazz

Reaction score
IT’S A TEAM GAME!
Than why does 1 player make 18% of the entire teams salary?????!!!!!!

Why do only Qbs get named MVPs?

They touch the football on every offensive play!

Did you just start watching football?

Aven8

Reaction score
I would say it’s the LB’s. The Secondary can be thrown on. The last time we played we went dink and dunk and those LB’s ate that up. They are too good for that.

Side note: If the season ended today we are going to SF for the WC round…..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They hold up one of these signs whenever Dak looks across the line of scrimmage

confusing-road-signs