Honestly, are you losing faith that JuJo is our RB of the future?

CoCo

Reaction score
Even though I have been excited in the past about Julius I have never thought that he would end up in Emmitt & Tony's class.

He is a notch below Tony in speed and a couple notches below Emmitt in strength. I also consider Emmitt to easily have the best moves of the three. Dorsett just had that kick butt speed that made even little moves very effective.

In their prime, Emmitt could actually have good games without great blocking (but not near the end when he'd lost a step). Tony could not, except if he eventually found a seam to break one. Julius needs even more than an ocasional seam.

Julius doesn't break as many tackles as Dorsett did. Jones tackle breaking kind of reminds me of Tony at the end of his career.

I love Julius home run ability but for him to be effective I think requires more contribution from the line than either Emmitt or Dorsett required.

I'm glad we have Barber and appreciate his skills but I don't think he'll ever be a feature back. I think he's good at lots of aspects but has no hint of greatness in any of them. At least Julius has a hint of it even though it requires decent blocking.

PoetTree

Reaction score
---

Honestly, and I know the fickle will disagree with me here, but as a particular connoisseur of running backs, I believe Julius has special, special skills; skills that could make him one of, if not THE, best backs in the league. I know, that statement will be met with skepticism. But I covet running backs, and I study them intently. And let me tell you, Julius has rare talent.

For those who've been watching the pre-season and think that Marion Barber looks better, I will respectfully disagree. Barber has looked good, to be certain. But Julius has looked strong, quick and explosive. He even looks as though he's improved his receiving ability, catching everything thrown his way & even one-handing a pass that was behind him and turning it into a solid gain.

I, too, was let down last year with the sub-par drop-off from his rookie campaign. But hey, our o-line stank and he had a serious injury. These things happen. And given that no other back fared any better running behind the same line, I'd say there's a common denominator that must be considered.

I'll tell you this, there's not one other back on our roster who could have laid down that 194-yards against Carolina's #4-ranked rush defense. Not Barber. Not Thompson. Not Kincade. Only Julius has the kind of skill to put up those numbers on that defense. I like Barber. A lot. I'm real glad he's on our team. But if he's the running back that day, we lose to Carolina. Simple as that.

What I've seen from Julius in the pre-season has been an explosive burst (like we saw his rookie season), more power than I've witnessed him run with before, nice vision, quick feet, improved hands and that sudden change-of-direction that sets him apart from most other backs. I've been impressed.

Sure, the run blocking hasn't been the best & it hasn't produced great results. Yet. But the pre-season is for evaluation, and there are a lot of moving parts. We're not scheming. We're not game-planning. We're only showing maybe 10% of our playbook... AND... we haven't really had one of the best decoys in the game (Terrell Owens) on the field yet.

Teams have been playing us to stop the run. Period. Every single team has stacked 8 in the box, and then often even run-blitzed from that formation. I guarantee you, that won't happen with Owens in the lineup. And if it does, we'll make them pay & then they'll back off. Either way, once the season starts Julius is gonna have a lot more room to roam that we've seen thus far.

But in terms of what I've seen from him, personally, aside from all the other moving (and in some cases, dysfunctional) parts, I'm actually quite encouraged. He looks like he still has the speed & quickness that sets him apart, while also having improved his strength and hands. And sincerely, I expect him to have a very good season.

I like Barber a lot. But Julius is, and rightfully so, the starter for this team...

:starspin

Peace and Love

- PoetTree -

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nope.

I never made any assumptions that he was going to be the future right off the bat. With such a mediocre line to work with and some injuries early in his career it is too early to tell.

- Mike G.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
I don't think Jones is ever going to amount to anything.

He's already amounted to something. You can't take away what he's done. You have to realize it's not probowl or bust. Heck look how long it took his brother to develop.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I have always said that I would gladly sacrifice some of Jones' speed, for a bit more leg drive and the ability to break more tackles, etc..

Silverstar

Reaction score
At this point, Jones might just be holding back Barber and Thompson IMO. If we traded Jones, I don't think I would mind so much because I think our two backups could start on most teams. Barber simply hits the hole harder and is harder to bring down too. He's already a better receiver than Jones and his blocking has been just as good...maybe even better. Thompson is showing more confidence now and is beginning to find the holes he couldn't see last year. He's the biggest of the three and can turn the corner at any time with his rare speed. I would like to split the starts between Barber and Jones this year...Barber deserves it. Also, I think Thompson should get one start in his hometown of Irving...why not? :)

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I remember how excited we were 2 years ago when he lit it up in the few games he appeared in his rookie year. We were all convinced he would make 1,000 yards minimum last year and be the next starting running back for this franchise for as long as his body could take it. When he didn't produce as well last season, the blame fell on the the offensive line, injuries, and really everything but Julius. Well, I've been watching him this preseason, and I don't about you folks but I'm starting to wonder if he has the vision and moves to miss that first hit that is necessary for any running back to make it in the NFL. I know our offensive line isn't the league's best, but ya know what, last week, they did pretty darn good against the 49ers, and JuJo still barely averaged above 3 yards a carry. I'm starting to wonder if those few 100 yard games his rookie year were a fluke. It wouldn't be the first time. Running back more than any other position, is known for one year flashes by rookies and unknown players. Think of the Green Bay backs with 100 yards last year, Timmy Smith on the Skins, the Broncos running backs, Karim Abdul Jabar on the Fins, Kevan Barlow, the list goes on....

Are you starting to lose faith? I tell you what, one thing I'm starting to believe is the rumor that Bill wanted to trade JuJo in the draft.

I am not about to lose my faith in JuJo given the fact that the 'boys have changed their offense a bit this year. We now have a two tight end set and have many options running out of that offense. I will add, however, that I am impressed with Barber's running ability. He has shown some serious improvement in his game. I say wait until mid season and should Jones falter, start Barber and put TThompson as the third down running back. Thompson may not have the size, but when he blows past the defense it just looks so damn pretty....

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
DBoys said:
I think it was the right word to use I carried out my frustration with this topic on you. Sorry about that.

For those disapointed with Julius PLEASE rewatch the game and look at the difference in defensive formations. When JuJo comes in they bring in 8 or 9 men in the box and blitz the lanes because we are in 2 TE formation.

When Marion comes in we are not in a 2 TE formation and everything is spread. Marion has lanes to run through and most times he is not even touched for a few yards beyond LOS. JuJo gets touched before the LOS that is a tell that your OL is to blame. Granted in a regular game Bledsoe would audible and throw to a TE because they will be wide open.

JuJo is such I good back and I can't stand people bagging on him for something out of his control. The guy has had some phenominal games for us and trust me the defenses stack the box because they are scared of him.

Hey no problem, I took no offense to that.

I'll check out the SF game and check it out. I know that there are a lot of defenders stacking the line.

You're right, I shouldn't have said that about JJ without looking at the plays more closely.

It just seems, I guess, that MB3 is a bit quicker. But then again, it's easier to do so when nobody's in your face.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I think he's looked sharp this preseason - quick and decisive. He needs better blocking than he got vs. the Vikings.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
JJ definitely lacks the ability that great backs have of being able to avoid the big hit. Dude gets crushed!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'm surprised burmfrd hasn't come in here and had a Kiniption fit.

The poor guy must have hyperventilated and passed out on his keyboard while typing out his reply.

DBoys

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Hey no problem, I took no offense to that.

I'll check out the SF game and check it out. I know that there are a lot of defenders stacking the line.

You're right, I shouldn't have said that about JJ without looking at the plays more closely.

It just seems, I guess, that MB3 is a bit quicker. But then again, it's easier to do so when nobody's in your face.

Compare the 49er game where JuJo had a lot of success to the Minny game and you will see what I am talking about.

Org1

Reaction score
All this talk is going to stop when the regular season starts
I just hope he gets enough touches
The more touches Julius gets the better the chances are that the Cowboys win
He is consistently going to put up big numbers

All that stuff about Marion running harder is just not true
His run style makes him seem as if he puts in more effort
His movements are exaggerated because he is always excited but they have the same effect
When MBIII runs someone over his body shakes and jerks and all that
When Julius runs someone over his body is more stiff and tight
The end result is the same though

Julius is faster, more elusive, and strong enough
MBIII catches better but Julius can do way more with the open field a RB is provided after some catches

All that being said, I like MBIII but he isn't touching JJ at all
The better they both are the better for us

I can wait until the regular season so people see how good Julius Jones really is
I expect him to have a career like Fred Taylor (number wise)
Hopefully he isn't banged up like him all of the time

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I voted for the "I still think he's the one" choice. I am an optimist.

Of course I'm optimistic we will find a good kicker as well, so don't go by me. :D

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i choose half and half, cuz i think of games where he doesn't perform upto par but then i think about his rookie year where he gained like 800 yards in like 6 or 7 games.