Hostile, here is your sleeper safety

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
2009 NFL Draft Player Interview: Nate Ness S Arizona
by silencecs on Feb 7, 2009 1:25 AM EST in 2009 NFL Draft

Here at BCC we're going to be trying something new to increase our story output and give you more of the round the clock coverage you desire this offseason. "BCC's Weekend Edition" starts today and we are going to try to post at least one to two stories a weekend, so check back.... even on the weekends.

If you missed the scouting report on Nate Ness, click here.

Collin Streetman: How long have you been playing football and have there ever been any other sports you've played, or seriously considered playing, rather than football?

Nate Ness: I've been playing since 10 years old, and I played basketball and baseball. In high school I was a three sport athlete. I considered basketball, but I didn't get the looks in basketball like I got in football

Collin Streetman: In what ways have you changed your training and routine to prepare for the possibility of life in the NFL?

Nate Ness: A lot, my diet, my eating habits, and getting proper rest. This is a physical game and you have to eat right and sleep right at night. I've been focused on impressing scouts and teams, and convince them I am a good overall player.

Collin Streetman: You mentioned your diet, does health and nutrition play a large role in your life, and do you have a special diet you follow during the season or otherwise?

Nate Ness: Yeah, it plays a vital role. No fried foods ever, and I eat tons of fruits and vegetables and also proteins. I want to get the right food into my body so my body won't wear down as fast through my career.

Collin Streetman: What are you're measurables according to you? Height, Weight, and estimated 40 time at your pro-day.

Nate Ness:

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 197 lbs

I hope to run in the 4.4 range.

Collin Streetman: What intangibles can you bring to an NFL team that might not show up on tape?

Nate Ness: I'm very coachable and respectful. I listen to my coaches. I am a team-focused player who just wants the team to succeed. I compete and I'm very competitive, but, in a respectful way. I want to win and that's what I feel teams want. Players that develop chemistry and bonding in the locker-room.

Collin Streetman: Some players are workout warriors, some are film-junkies, and others spend their free time on the practice field. What's you're favorite aspect of game preparation?

Nate Ness: I like to watch film. You can never watch too much film because you may spot a tendency that nobody else knows. Those can be game changing discoveries. I love to watch film. I look at game-day as my test and film is a way for me to perform better on the "test". So, I study film to prepare for my test.

Collin Streetman: What is your favorite part of playing S?

Nate Ness: Just coming downhill and hitting. The Safety makes big plays because They are the last line of defense. You got to get through the safety to get a touchdown, and that gives you the opportunity to make big stops.

Continue reading this interview behind the fold

Collin Streetman: Describe your in-game demeanor using one of the following, focused and calm, unhinged and explosive, or downright nasty.

Nate Ness: Focused and calm. I don't waste too much energy before the game especially. That being said, I am ready to go a moments notice, and once kickoff arrives I'm completely focused for the game.

Collin Streetman: Which is a greater asset, your natural ability, or your work-ethic?

Nate Ness: My work ethic. Natural ability can take you so far, but you can improve as you work harder. Without a strong work ethic it is much harder to succeed in the NFL.

Collin Streetman: You're known for your ability to liven up the locker-room, what's the most memorable locker room prank or hazing that you've been involved in.

Nate Ness: Oh man… I was mimicking coach stoops and there was one time after practice, a really good practice, and I came in after practice and I acted like Stoops. I pulled my shorts up real high and walked bow legged and was messing with everybody. The whole locker-room and Coach Stoops were rolling. Another time we printed up pictures of what celebrities our coaches looked like.

Collin Streetman: You played with Antoine Cason and the two of you literally terrorized defenses your Junior season. Do you still keep in touch with Antoine and is there any advice he's given you about life in the NFL?

Nate Ness: I stay in touch with him. He's coming down to train with me. He's says stay focused and show hard work. This is a business and you have to put in the time and effort and work hard to make it in this business. It's all about making plays and having fun.

Collin Streetman: Since Antoine Cason left for the NFL, you've been a major leader on defense and have served as a Defensive Captain this season. What did taking on this responsibility teach you?

Nate Ness: You know that being accountable is important as a man. It gave me a sense of accountability. I have to be a role model for younger freshmen DBs and just being respectful and showing them the ropes. You have to show them how to live your right life as a man first and it transitions onto the field.

Collin Streetman: Do you prefer to play closer to the line of scrimmage, or farther back in the secondary?

Nate Ness: I don't have a preference. I can be in the box no problem. I like the box though because I like the action.

Collin Streetman: Versatility is crucial to making an NFL roster. Talk about your ability to make the switch to SS and how your skills transfer to that position.

Nate Ness: Um. I was the equivalent of that this season because I was always in the box at Arizona my Senior season. It's a pretty easy switch for me because like I said, my senior year I was in the box a lot and the coaches know I'm a strong tackler.

Collin Streetman: Do you think spending more time in the box contributed to the decrease in interceptions you had this season?

Nate Ness: I'm all about the W's. Stats don't matter too much to me as long as the team is wining that's what I am all about. That's really always my focus.

Collin Streetman: When the QB is barking out signals and the ball is about to be snapped, what are you keying in on and what's going through your head?

Nate Ness: Well, I focus on certain QB's tendencies. When I watch film I look for certain personnel and formations and I'll watch the QB and try to pay attention to the little things like that, which can make the difference is some cases. Maybe the QB does something when he does his pre-snap prep that inadvertently tells you it's going to be a slant, things like that are why I watch film so much.

Collin Streetman: What aspect of your game do you feel is strongest?

Nate Ness: My coverage is really strong. I showcased that before in games. My coverage is really strong

Collin Streetman: What aspect of your game needs the most improvement?

Nate Ness: I feel like turning my hips on the break by the WR, or when I come downhill towards the tackle, I occasionally overstep.

Collin Streetman: How would you describe your personality and character?

Nate Ness: Outgoing and respectful, humble young man. I am a student and I always want to learn new things.

Collin Streetman: What role does family play in your life?

Nate Ness: Big role. I have people in my family who look up to me that I want to set a good example for like cousins and such. I want to be a good role model for my son. I want him to be a better man that I have or will ever be.

-Collin Streetman
Better Know a Draft Prospect: Nate Ness FS Arizona
by silencecs on Feb 5, 2009 5:36 AM EST in 2009 Scouting Reports

Better Know a Draft Prospect: Arizona S Nate Ness

Nate Ness is a FS out of Arizona who started both his Junior and Senior seasons after transferring to the University from Junior College. He played with current NFL DB Antoine Cason and notched 5 interceptions his Junior year. There was some hope that Nate might catapult himself into being a first-day selection with a similar senior season, but he wasn't able to reproduce his fantastic interception total from 2007. As a result, Nate is now a projected 6th-7th round selection who could even slip into UDFA. He has only two years of Division I experience, so he still has much to learn about the some of the nuances of the game. However, he has the potential to be a late round steal after a few years of development. In Junior College he notched 19 interceptions, 10 of which he returned for touchdowns during his 2 year stint.

Nate has vastly improved both his overall strength and his tackling form and ability through his tenure at Arizona. His focus on that aspect of his game has paid dividends in that, although he only made 2 picks his senior season, he more than doubled his number of tackles, going from 32 as a Jr to 75 as a Sr. He is more of a sure tackler than your typical Free Safety (cough, cough Reggie Nelson, cough), and could make the switch to SS easier than most. This versatility could add serious value to Nate's draft stock.

He is known for his instinctive coverage skills in the secondary, but he has some fundamental flaws in his game that must be addressed. He plays too upright and has some trouble with moving his hips fluidly, but that can be addressed.

Nate is the sole defensive captain of the Arizona Wildcats, despite the team having 3 offensive captains. He is known as a vocal and motivated force in the locker-room who has earned the respect of his team-mates. He's also known as a jokester who can always lighten the mood. He often pulls pranks but according to his team-mate Eben Britton, he doesn't cross the line.

Offensive tackle Eben Britton, another co-captain, called Ness "a vocal leader that really gets guys going."

Ness can be funny, Britton said, but he’s never mean. "Not in an obnoxious, annoying way," Britton said. "He can probably get away with a little more than most guys."

Nate backs up his on-the-field leadership up by volunteering in the community.

The football players, Nate Ness, Kris Heavner, Donald Horton and A.J. Simmons, are spending this Saturday afternoon bowling and sharing pizza with 34 students from Mission View and Pueblo Gardens elementary schools, both of which serve low-income students.

Video Killed the Scouting Report: Look for Nate's Endzone INT early in the Vid and his one handed pick late in the Vid... what a catch!

Click Here for the Videos (Sorry about the Auto=Play)

The Expert's Opinions - Not much is out on Nate Ness yet, but here's what I've found:

Positives:

Consensus Draft Services - Has the strength to play up in the box and is a sure tackler. Good ball skills with 7 INT in 2 years starting.
Footballs Future: Nate Ness is quick (4.50 - 40). Nate Ness has good size (at 6-1). Nate Ness loves making plays on the deep ball. Nate Ness is the most physical FS in the '09 Draft. You heard it here first.
Negatives:

Consensus Draft Services: Stiff in coverage and is not smooth in his change of direction. Late coming over the top at times.
Footballs Future: The only downside: Nate Ness sometimes would rather let his WR catch the ball so he can hit him (legally) than play the ball. All Nate Ness needs is some good coaching because Nate Ness has all the natural tangibles of being a great shutdown NFL FS.

NATE NESS: By The Numbers -

Nate is 6'1" 190 lbs and is a devastating hitter for a FS. He is a self-professed "ball-hawk" who has solid hands. His numbers though his collegiate career showcase his ability to make the INT when given the opportunity. His ferocious tackling has enabled the defense to use him closer to the line of scrimmage to aid in run defense and blitzing.

19 Interceptions in JUCO, 10 returned for TDs

44 Solo Tackles his Sr season

31 Assisted Tackles his Sr season

5 Interceptions his Jr season

2 Interceptions his Sr season

8 QB hurries his Sr season

Why should he be on the Jacksonville Jaguars?

Nate is an ideal late round selection. He's got the versatility to play more than one position, SS or FS, and he's got the character and leadership ability the Jaguar's are targeting in their players. He fits an area of desperate need with the pending departure of Gerald Sensabaugh, and his flaws are all technical in nature and can be resolved with coaching. He's got the speed (4.5 40 yard) to play safety, and his size and tackling ability leave nothing to be desired. He is the prototypical "Jar on the Shelf" and could be a starter with a few years of solid teaching.

NATE NESS Interview with Big Cat Country coming Next Week!!!