Hottest team in the league with 22 straight *updated* Rockets

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey if others can have a dedicated thread, then so can they. I don't care if I'm lonely only. :eek::

Rockets down host Hornets for 11th straight win

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

NEW ORLEANS — Before Friday, it was a winning streak.

It was long and impressive, enough to force pages in the Rockets record book to be flipped back to the championship glory days. But now, it is something else, something greater.

The Rockets' run has become a steamroller with the team demolishing a swath through the schedule and a 100-80 destruction of the front-running New Orleans Hornets ending remaining questions about the validity of the roll.

The Rockets might have been the NBA’s hottest team, but the Hornets were still sitting atop the Western Conference standings, having won eight consecutive home games by an average of 20 points.

Then the Rockets rolled into town for the second half of a back-to-back and blew the Hornets off their court. The Rockets pushed their road winning streak to a franchise-record 10th game and their winning streak overall to 11, their longest since the start of the 1993-94 season.

Of all the wins stacked one atop another, this was the most impressive, coming against a Hornets teams with a five-game winning streak. In the past 10 games, the Hornets had knocked off the Suns, Spurs, Nuggets and Wednesday against the Mavericks, and had won seven of nine games against the Rockets.

But the Rockets dominated. They led by as much as 27, held an eighth team in nine games to fewer than 90 points and did not allow the Hornets to reach 40 percent shooting until the final minutes, long after New Orleans coach Byron Scott had cleared his bench.

Unlike some of their other wins against the stronger teams in the streak, the Rockets got huge games from their stars with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming scoring easily.

McGrady finished with 34 points, making 14 of 26 shots and adding six assists. Yao had 28, making 12 of 21 shots, with 14 rebounds.

From the start, there was a big-game feel. The game drew 17,714 to New Orleans Arena in just the third Hornets sellout and their largest crowd of the season.

In the first quarter, Rafer Alston and Tyson Chandler squared off briefly, each drawing technical fouls. Minutes later, Luis Scola and David West exchanged shoves and elbows.

From the start, the Rockets seemed in control. The Hornets largest lead was two points, and when the Rockets defense took over, the visitors began to pull away.

The Rockets defense might have seemed to be in control and was protecting the paint as it rarely has against the Hornets, particularly once the Rockets took away the lobs to Chandler.

Less than three minutes into the second quarter, the Hornets were within 31-28 after Hilton Armstrong and Jannero Pargo hit consecutive jumpers. But by then, their halfcourt offense had begun drifting toward nothing but jumpers.

For the next eight minutes, when the Hornets shot, they missed, clanging 12 straight until David West followed a missed Stojakovic 3 to finally put the ball in the basket.

The Hornets’ 11 second-quarter points were their fewest ever in a second quarter. They made just 3 of 18 shots in the quarter, getting just one basket in the paint.

Then just as the Rockets began the game with an offensive roll, started the second half even more impressively.

McGrady, who had made 6 of 11 shots in the first half, continued to attack the basket to prevent a falloff like the one he had in the second half the night before. Yao began getting the ball more consistently inside. Most of all, the Rockets did not let up until there was not a hint of remaining doubt.

MC KAos

Reaction score
thank you for that, now we can be in first place if we beat the hornets tomorrow

thekavorka

Reaction score
I think Rockets have a better chance at making the finals than any team besides San Antonio or Phoenix.

I really like their roster. They have the best center in the league. Scola, Landry, and Battier are solid role players. They have a great team-oriented offense. And Tmac (when healthy) can take over a game.

their only deficiency is at PG but Alston has been playing well lately.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on this team. After a lukewarm start, they have really been hot going back to January.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Biggems;1965975 said:
Bobby Jackson will help them at PG

ha, the only question is if he can stay healthy, and that goes for T-Mac too

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MC KAos;1966049 said:
ha, the only question is if he can stay healthy, and that goes for T-Mac too
I'm certainly not counting on Bobby Jackson. He's a backup. It's a matter of whether Rafer can sustain his level of play.

As far as T-mac, it's always a matter of whether he's healthy.

At this point, I feel like I did with the Cowboys. I just want the Rockets to win a series. They haven't been to the second round in 10 years. ~sigh~

MC KAos

Reaction score
i ment to put ya, not ha, but ya.....

its gonna be hard for just about every team in the west to get out of the first round, i dont think there is any team that is a shoe in (unless we play denver or golden state, i feel pretty comfortable that we would beat them easily)

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
yeah jackson is a useless backup.......only 14 pts in his Rocket debut

19:16 min
5-8 FG
2-3 3pt
2-3 FT
2 ast
2 to

The Rockets were +21 with him in the game

so please don't tell me you do not care about him. when he is healthy he is one of the best scoring PGs in the NBA. He can beat you with his speed, driving to the hole. He can take you from the outside and definitely has a nice stroke from 3pt land.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i dont doubt that he can help the rockets, but i dont know that he can stay healthy, but i wish him and the rockets the best unless they play the spurs

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like to see the Rockets do well but I'm going to need to see it come crunch time, in the playoffs.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;1969107 said:
I like to see the Rockets do well but I'm going to need to see it come crunch time, in the playoffs.
I'm one of the more frustrated fans on this board. The Cowboys haven't done it in the playoffs in 10 years. The Rockets haven't won a series in 10 years.

That said, it's nice to see them on a run and making some noise. It'll only help them come crunch time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It is over for the Rockets now. Yao Ming is out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture. He, like TMac is oft injured.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rockets cap perfect month with 14th straight win

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
Comments (31) Recommend (1)

For one last night before the month would end, merely winning did not seem to be enough.

February needed not just an extra day, but a fitting sendoff.

Had the Rockets merely beaten the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday, they would have completed what they wanted, an unbeaten sweep through an entire month. But February seemed to cry out for more. So the Rockets pummeled one more patsy, leading by as much as 28 and blowing out the Grizzlies 116-95 at Toyota Center to cap their perfect 13-game run through the month.

With their second unbeaten month in franchise history and a 14-game winning streak, one shy of the franchise record, the Rockets could move on to more viable challengers, and they hope, bigger and better things. But first, February needed an exclamation point, so the Rockets gave it their top scoring and top shot-blocking night of the season.

"Let's see if we can tie the (93-)94 season record of a 15-game winning streak," Dikembe Mutombo, who had 13 rebounds and four blocked shots in 18 minutes, said. "It would be nice. We're at 14. Why not get it to 15, 16, 17, just keep going."

With Denver in Toyota Center on Sunday, March will begin with a clear step up in competition. But the Rockets were not ready to concede anything about what they had accomplished, or could still achieve even with Yao Ming out for the season.

"It was terrific," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "I mean, that's a hard thing to do. Early in the year, we were playing all those good teams, and we were .500, back and forth, and you weren't doing the job. And now you sweep the month and people bring up the fact that you only played four or five good team. That's what you're supposed to do, win.

"I think it's a terrific accomplishment, especially when you have the All-Star break in the middle of it. We came back from the All-Star break and we won at Cleveland. We won in New Orleans. We won a couple games that we close, but for the most part, we were really consistent. That's what it's going to take to get to the playoffs."

There was nothing close about Friday's win. The Rockets were in complete command from the opening minutes, when they scored the game's first 14 points, led 23-2 in less than six minutes and by as much as 22 in the first quarter in what has become a pattern of pouncing early.

They made 57.9 percent of their first-half shots on Friday. In the past four home games, the Rockets have made 57.1 percent of their shots, leaving little doubt.

"I've never been on a team where everybody is so tuned, so locked in every time we step on the basketball court," said guard Tracy McGrady, who had 25 points, six assists and six rebounds in 29 minutes. We're just a focused and confident group.

"I'm really upset (Adelman) is not in any talks of being coach of the year. Damn, we're 38-20. I haven't heard his name not once being a candidate for coach of the year. That's pretty upsetting."

Other than that, there was little that did not go as the Rockets wanted. The one exception might have been Shane Battier picking up a technical foul, an occurrence rarer than a Rockets' sweep of a month.

"I thought I was going to go my entire career without a technical foul," said Battier after his first came against his former team and in a game in which he had 13 points, seven rebounds, four blocked shots and a shut-down defensive performance on Rudy Gay. "I pride myself on my composure. I can't even tell you what I said, that's how unremarkable it was.

"I'll take it if it comes with an unbeaten month. Unless you're on a special team, most guys never sweep a month. It's not something we can enjoy right now, but when the season is over hopefully a long, long time from now, hopefully we can say, 'Wow, what a great month.' And hopefully this will propel us to success in the coming months."

By the time Battier got his fourth block, the lead had reached 28 and coaches had begun clearing their benches, with doubt long since gone and the completion of a goal certain.

"It was brought to our attention two games ago," Chuck Hayes said. "Coach brought it up, and we thought it was pretty remarkable. We were like, why not? Let's do it. Let's not have a let down for these last two games for these opponents that the records show were that good.

"For us to continue this winning steak and go undefeated for another month, I'm pretty sure the odds are against us. But we're playing really well right now."

Unlikely as another unblemished run through an entire might be, he would not rule it out.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

----------

still going strong

MC KAos

Reaction score
ya, i dont see why people think the rockets wont make the playoffs, they are hot and they still have tmac. if they get the hornets in the first round, i wouldnt be surprised if they moved on! but other than NO i dont see them beating anyone else in the playoffs. well, maybe utah

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The Rockets are still in this thing.

Classy teams like them always find away.

MC KAos

Reaction score
ya, i drove by the toyota center yesterday when i went to houston to look at apartments (i think it was the toyota center, i was on i 45 and there was an arena with toyota symbols on the ceiling). It makes me sad to think about yao, i like him a lot and i dont mind the rockets at all. Some rocket fans are grilling T-Mac though because of something he said yesterday i think. he said that its not on him, because last year he said it was on him. I think no matter what he had said he would have gotten grilled either way, but i hope the best for T-Mac and the rockets this year unless they play the spurs.