How about Manny Lawson OLB

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Hype has died down after Senior Bowl.

Weeks back you were "we don't need another Ware".

We know he can rush the passer.

Now it's on to strength reps and LB drills.

That's what could knock him down board.

I don't think either is there for our 2nd pick when ever that it is.

49 ish.

I stand by that. We don't need another Ware. If Lawson proves he isn't that, he is probably worth a look. I am not convinced he is.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I agree with everything you all are saying about Carpenter. The only thing I have to say about it is, every once in a while, you have a guy come around who is a serious freak of nature, ala Reggie Bush.
When you see those guys on your board, you may have to swallow your tongue and just take the guy. Burnett had a good resume' coming out except for injuries. He has the same height as Carpenter, and is only 10 pounds lighter. Just as fast though... But guys like Lawson don't come around that often. A guy that tall that could put on serious weight, and with that speed, (if he does it in the combine) it's really something have to think about.

Personally, I don't think we're giving NT enough attention here. Ferguson is not big enough or effective enough for what we need at this position.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Carpenter is a much better prospect than Burnett. I think Burnett will match up well with Bradie James inside.

Ware - James - Burnett- Carpenter would be a hellacious LB corps.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
junk said:
I stand by that. We don't need another Ware. If Lawson proves he isn't that, he is probably worth a look. I am not convinced he is.

Junks been consistent with that.

I go back and forth on the two every other month.

I take the kid in a candy store approach.

I want two of everything.

Assuming we sign OL and FS we go LB/NT 1-2 IMO as of right now.

We don't get those 2 needs met in FA all bets are off.

I don't think Fergie is too small or light at NT at all.

Dudes listed weight vs playing weight is off 10-15 lbs easily.

Who thinks Marco and Fergie actually weigh the same thing?

Watson hype dying down too.

The slide is on.

tm1119

Reaction score
i agree that we dont need another Ware. I think Carpenter and Greenway are both better picks because they are more versitile. They both can stuff the run, cover a linebacker or back, and still get to the QB. It wouldnt be good for us if we have 2 guys on the outside speed rushing the QB.

Plus I think that there are good prospects at the DE/OLB position that can be picked later. Such as Wimbley, Mark Anderson, Parys Haralson, Devan Long, and a couple more guys. </B></B>

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:

The slide is on.
Run defense starts with the NT. San Diago was number 1 in rushing defense. NT= J.Williams (6'3" 348)

Steelers were third in rushing defense. NT = Hamilton 6'1" (325)

Patriots were 8th in rushing defense. NT = Wilfork 6'2" (325)

Cowboys were 15th in rushing defense. NT = Ferguson 6'3 (310)

So the biggest tackle won..:)

Free Agents we can find for cheap =
Ma'ake Kemoeatu = 6'5" (350)
Grady Jackson = 6'2" (345)

Draft NT prospects
Haloti Ngata = 6'5 (338)
Gabe Watson = 6'3 (335)
Babatunde Oshinowo = 6'2 (320)
Steve Fifita = 6'0 (322)
Jeff Littlejohn = 6'1 (323)
Kwakou Robinson = 6'4 (327)

Ferguson was moved around alot last year, not as much as Glover was, but he was moved backwards more than we needed him to be.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Run defense starts with the NT. San Diago was number 1 in rushing defense. NT= J.Williams (6'3" 348)

Steelers were third in rushing defense. NT = Hamilton 6'1" (325)

Patriots were 8th in rushing defense. NT = Wilfork 6'2" (325)

Cowboys were 15th in rushing defense. NT = Ferguson 6'3 (310)

Free Agents we can find for cheap =
Ma'ake Kemoeatu = 6'5" (350)
Grady Jackson = 6'2" (345)

Draft NT prospects
Haloti Ngata = 6'5 (338)
Gabe Watson = 6'3 (335)
Babatunde Oshinowo = 6'2 (320)
Steve Fifita = 6'0 (322)
Jeff Littlejohn = 6'1 (323)
Kwakou Robinson = 6'4 (327)

Ferguson was moved around alot last year, not as much as Glover was, but he was moved backwards more than we needed him to be.

Please list the measurements, pro bowls, and super bowls played in or won by the Pats, Steelers, Chargers and Cowboys LB's. After that answer me how many LB's we have that would start of either team.

Just to make it easy for you the answer would be zero for the Cowboys and we have the smallest LB's of the group.

I believe you were trying to refer to Hampton and I hope you don't believe he and Wilfork are the same size.

Again, Fergie and Rivera are not the same size even they they are listed that way. Callin it the way it is.

Oshinowo isn't 6-2/320 any more.

I thought it was AJ who got pushed back all year, now all of a sudden it's Fergie too?

Only issue with Fergie is his age and balloon sarlaries in years 3 and 4.

That's why we will draft another NT.

He did his job helping us go from from 27 to 12 in D.

I'm pretty sure 5 LB's on IR had something to do with issues against run.:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Exactly. They bring different skills to the field. We just need playmakers at the LB spots. I'll take either.

I don't necessarily think they bring "Different" skills to the field. Both can rush the passer, although Lawson has the potential to be a very good pass rusher. Carpenter is probably better vs the run though.

I'd take Carpenter over Lawson cuz he seems to be more versatile (can play ILB or OLB) and has an insane amount of passion for the game (not saying Lawson doesn't, just saying Carpenter has an insane amount of it).

Rush 2112

Reaction score
And this team overall and especially the D needs a passionate, fiery leader.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
And this team overall and especially the D needs a passionate, fiery leader.

Bingo. Personally, I think its missing on both sides of the ball.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Junks been consistent with that.

I go back and forth on the two every other month.

I take the kid in a candy store approach.

I want two of everything.

Assuming we sign OL and FS we go LB/NT 1-2 IMO as of right now.

We don't get those 2 needs met in FA all bets are off.

The slide is on.

Now another scenario that wouldn't surprise me a bit is to see a guy like Ware brought in at some point in the draft, but not as a starting SOLB. Who does Dallas have that could take Ware's place if he is hurt? Who could be an edge rusher opposite Ware in the nickel? Rotation isn't always a bad thing either.

Dallas did talk to Lawson and I believe Wimbley from Florida State.

What would people think if Dallas went Carpenter/Wimbley in 1-2? Or is Wimbley more of a round 3 prospect?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kalen Thornton is back next year. I like Wimbley, Anderson for later draft edge type guys.

Lawson over Carpenter.
NT or TE in Round #1

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Please list the measurements, pro bowls, and super bowls played in or won by the Pats, Steelers, Chargers and Cowboys LB's. After that answer me how many LB's we have that would start of either team.

Just to make it easy for you the answer would be zero for the Cowboys and we have the smallest LB's of the group.

I believe you were trying to refer to Hampton and I hope you don't believe he and Wilfork are the same size.

Again, Fergie and Rivera are not the same size even they they are listed that way. Callin it the way it is.

Oshinowo isn't 6-2/320 any more.

I thought it was AJ who got pushed back all year, now all of a sudden it's Fergie too?

Only issue with Fergie is his age and balloon sarlaries in years 3 and 4.

That's why we will draft another NT.

He did his job helping us go from from 27 to 12 in D.

I'm pretty sure 5 LB's on IR had something to do with issues against run.:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2:
we have the smallest LB's of the group.
I also like to do my homework. We do NOT have the smallest starting linebacking group of those 3. The Steelers do.
Shall I list them?

Steeler Starting Line backers

LOLB - Haggans= 6'4 (243)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187554

LILB - Farrior = 6'2 (243)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3435

RILB - Foote = 6'0 -(239)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302022

ROLB - Porter = 6'3- (250)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133392

Total weight = 975 pds

Cowboy Starting Line Backers

LOLB - Ware = 6'4 (255)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/423138

LILB - Shanle=6'2 (245)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396081

RILB - James = 6'2 (250)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395991

ROLB - Fujita = 6'5 (250)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302025

Total weight = 1000 pds

I do believe the Steelers are 25 lbs lighter than our starting linebacking core.

Wilfork = 6'2 (325)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493113

Hampton = 6'1 (325)
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235214

Rivera and Ferguson are around the same size, is what you said.
I have something called a DVR, and watched every game atleast 4 times.
During the time I watched the video, I would focus on the defensive line at some point. I would fast forward thru everything except defensive plays and study. What I found was, Glover was as strong as an ox, but his size lost the battle.

You also said that he did his job helping us go from 27th to 12th, we were 10th actually.

The front 3 are there to be the first line of defense to stop the run. Ferguson did okay, but he was NOT the reason we went from 27th to 10th. We were 10th best against the run last year with Glover, and we were 15th this year with Ferguson.

Ferguson stood the line up much better, but their was rarely a forward push by him. He was pushed back way more than he pushed the pile forward. AJ was also a guy who constantly got pushed back into the backfield, even more than Ferguson.

If you want to argue with me about, don't. Go argue with the nfl.com, they are the one's with all of the stats. I'm just presenting them to you.

BTW, the Steelers have the smallest front 7 of the big four 3-4 teams, but their RDE/LDE/NT, is 23 pounds heavier than our RDE/LDE/NT.

So here are the facts. The front line has to be big, period. Nose Tackle, Right Defensive End, Left Defensive End. They are constantly going up against up to 5 linemen collectively, and they will over power you like they did to us last year.

Patriots & Steelers have won the last 3 Super Bowls with their big NT. I suggest we get one.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Kalen Thornton is back next year. I like Wimbley, Anderson for later draft edge type guys.

Lawson over Carpenter.
NT or TE in Round #1

I wouldn't count on Thornton for anything. Planning for him to do something is similar to going into the season with Rogers, Tucker and Petitti at RT. A few sacks against scrubs in preseason doesn't make me think he can come in after a major injury and be a contributor.

I think the team needs to address TE as well, just not in 1. Wasted pick similar to a FS in one.

Like I said, Carpenter and Lawson are different players. Just my opinion that a Carpenter type is more what they want on the strong side.

JPM

Reaction score
Great post Cowboy Love, one quick question; the D-line weights what staters did you use ?
I'm wondering what Canty, Ferguson, and Spears weight in comparison to the Steelers line.

Thanks.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Great, so 2 of our backup LB's help us tip the scales vs the Steelers.

Cute math.

Also, until the NFL starts awarding W's for the # of yards given up the Cowboys were 12th in the only D that matters.

Just so I understand you, 5 LB's on IR doesn't effect the run D?

dwmyers

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Carpenter may not be freaky athletic.

Both Lawson and Carpenter are freaks. Carpenter has an amazing 40 for someone as big as he is.

It's not my call as a fan, but if either of these guys just jump out at Ireland and Parcells, draft them.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
JPM said:
Great post Cowboy Love, one quick question; the D-line weights what staters did you use ?
I'm wondering what Canty, Ferguson, and Spears weight in comparison to the Steelers line.

Thanks.
Dallas front 3 on DLine is a total weight.
Cowboys-899
Steelers-922
Patriots- 942
Chargers-960

We are like 61 pounds lighter than the Chargers. WOW! They have a monster front 3 up there. But even the Steelgirls have us beaten by 23 lbs up front.

I say Canty adds on about 10 pounds this offseason, he has the size at 6'7 to get to 315 witout losing speed. But if we get Kemoeatu in FA, and Canty gains 10 pounds, we will instantly move up to 949 lbs up front putting us right behind the Chargers.

If we had that much meat up front, our outside linebackers could both be tweeners, and I would draft Carpenter and put him inside, and put someone like Tapp or Wimbley, guys like that on the outside, and I dare any team to try and run the ball on us.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Great, so 2 of our backup LB's help us tip the scales vs the Steelers.

Cute math.

Also, until the NFL starts awarding W's for the # of yards given up the Cowboys were 12th in the only D that matters.

Just so I understand you, 5 LB's on IR doesn't effect the run D?
I'm not trying to argue with you, you're my Cowboy brother.. I just think we need to get bigger up front that's all.

I was stunned to see that Burnett was 6'3, I didn't know he was that tall, which means he can add serious weight without losing speed. Carpenter would look great in a boys uniform with those kinds of players in front of him.

We have Ratliff who is around 295ish, and Pepper Johnson who is right at 300 pounds to back up Canty and Spears. So we HAVE to get a backup atleast for Ferguson if he's going to be our starter. And I'm thinking Parcells goes big.