How are the 49ers so good with an overpaid, mediocre QB?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sounds like what you want to do is absolve our scrub QB of his piss poor play in the most important game of the year.

Dallas has spent money on the offense. We’re not built the same as other teams.

When you spend most of your money on offense and they don’t perform you don’t blame everything else.

Heck, Michael Irvin this week is telling you this.

khiladi

Reaction score
Let’s summarize the actual argument-:

1. Franchise QBs have more impact on any team. It doesn’t guarantee a SB, it’s incredibly hard winning one, but they maximize the possibility, as far as building a team is concerned. They keep your team competitive year in and year out. I don’t think Aaron Rodgers is anywhere near the greatest QB ever, but he keeps GB competitive year in and year out, guaranteeing them play off appearances over and over again even with mediocre rosters.

2. Yes, we know a team with an average QB can possibly win a SB. It’s been done quite a few times, including in the early 90s when Hostetler took the Giants to the SB and won. Trent Dilfer did it as well. But those type of teams don’t last long, because FA comes along and murders them. Plus, it’s incredibly hard for a defense to sustain such low scoring production through a play off run, if the QB can’t move the ball adequately.

The Rams with Goff were the last example of this, when Goff literally lost the Rams the SB, while that defense completely stifled Brady. Of course the Saints and Brees were blatantly robbed.

Even SF is MOVING ON from JG. They drafted a QB number 1.

khiladi

Reaction score
The best DLine rotation in the playoffs along with a stout running game will take you far. If they get a better QB, which they know they need, they could be a force for the next 5 years.

Which is exactly why they drafted one in the first round…

khiladi

Reaction score
And BTW, Shanahan as a coach owns both LaFleur and McVay. They coached under him in Washington and they basically run the same systems. If anything, this play-offs is proving that the Shanahan system that started with his father and developer by the son is making real noise across the league.

KS is making his mark as one of the premiere coaches in the league.

Loso86

Reaction score
Jimmy G has a higher cap hit than Dak this year.
He is 5-1 in his playoff career with 2 TD, 5 INT, 121 YDS/G and 70 passer rating.
Maybe Cowboy fans have supremely overrated the talent on this Dallas roster?
Defense and rungame

stuckindc

Reaction score
He is 5-1 in his playoff career with 2 TD, 5 INT, 121 YDS/G and 70 passer rating.
They have a GM that knows what he's doing, a great coach that knows how to teach and call great plays..players that are tough and play for the better of the team.and step up

visionary

Reaction score
Dont we hear all the time that #1 is GB best advantage? #2 and #3 are for sure legit.

Yes it is an advantage against predominantly throwing teams but against predominantly rushing teams that have talent in the trenches it is not an advantage. The only reason people were picking the Packers was because if Rodgers

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Well coached, excellent play of both sides of the line, solid running game and they make minimal mistakes. It’s not rocket science but you need smart players to win this way.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes it is an advantage against predominantly throwing teams but against predominantly rushing teams that have talent in the trenches it is not an advantage. The only reason people were picking the Packers was because if Rodgers

Running game and Defense still wins championships, Rodgers only SB still proves this out as it was his best run game and defense in GB.

nobody

Reaction score
You are preaching to the choir. Only I would have said Jerry didn't have to pay him $40 million. I never blame the players for asking.

I disagree to an extent. Really how would his life be any different with 35 over 40 million? That little sacrifice for the good of the team would show leadership and a true understanding of the salary cap limitations and allow for that money to get quality help where it's needed. So while I don't generally blame a player for asking for a big payday, there is such a thing as selfishly asking too much given the cap. Dak didn't give a flying fig newton about the team. He cared about his pocketbook. So if he goes around saying I'll do anything to win or I'm completely invested in winning, that's a bold lie. He learned it however from the best. Jerry Jones. Say one thing, do another.

So while I applaud Dak for pulling a fast one on Jerry and getting paid, I don't like the contract and believe it shows he's clearly more about the bottom line than championships. It is what it is.

visionary

Reaction score
Running game and Defense still wins championships, Rodgers only SB still proves this out as it was his best run game and defense in GB.

I have said it for years

football is not tough to figure out if we pay attention

Build the trenches
Get the best QB you can
Maintain discipline and accountability
The HC should be the dominant voice in the locker room

do these 4 simple things and you will contend very year

visionary

Reaction score
I disagree to an extent. Really how would his life be any different with 35 over 40 million? That little sacrifice for the good of the team would show leadership and a true understanding of the salary cap limitations and allow for that money to get quality help where it's needed. So while I don't generally blame a player for asking for a big payday, there is such a thing as selfishly asking too much given the cap. Dak didn't give a flying fig newton about the team. He cared about his pocketbook. So if he goes around saying I'll do anything to win or I'm completely invested in winning, that's a bold lie. He learned it however from the best. Jerry Jones. Say one thing, do another.

So while I applaud Dak for pulling a fast one on Jerry and getting paid, I don't like the contract and believe it shows he's clearly more about the bottom line than championships. It is what it is.

this whole franchise under Jerry is about glitz and glamour and fluff over substance and hard work

so Dak went for the most he could get because he knew he had Jerry over a barrel

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I have said it for years

football is not tough to figure out if we pay attention

Build the trenches
Get the best QB you can
Maintain discipline and accountability
The HC should be the dominant voice in the locker room

do these 4 simple things and you will contend very year

I agree unfortunatley our team is owned by Jerry and none of that is on his bucket list....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jimmy G is better than Prescott.......
Not really hard to figure the above out....
They both have gone to the Superbowl.....:muttley:

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
9ers haven’t won squat yet and their QB sucks.

It hasn’t caught up to them yet but Brady, Stafford, Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen are all still playing.
What makes Stafford great? He already lost to the 49ers and has 1 playoff win...