How big is the Jacksonville game?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
How big is this weekend's game?

I got to thinking earlier (dangerous, yes) and started wondering. Should we lose this week, how many cans of worms will open?

It seems like folks are just waiting to pounce on a QBcontroversy, a Jerry-Bill a controversy, or a TO controversy. Heck, even Vanderjagt is a punchline.

Could a loss this week be more damaging than an 0-1 record might indicate? Or, would we just be battling perception and not necessariliy reality?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Any loss that is either unexpected or a blowout will be...blown out of proportion.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds to that type of loss if it happens.

Smith22

Reaction score
We have a tough stretch later in the season, so winning now will be a BIG help. I see this being a game where we run just to keep the Jags honest, but we win or lose this game in the air. We have to sustain drives and score some TD's. The game can easily come down to a missed kick being the difference, so the biggest thing that could come out of this game is a big Vandy uproar if his preseason woes carry over. Drew will be just fine if our pass protection holds up.

If we come out and lay an egg (lots of sacks, fumbles, etc.), then I could see some fans going nuts. I think the defenses is this game are evenly matched, but I give our offense the advantage, we just many more weapons and big play ability than the Jags (assuming TO plays and is 90-100%).

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
(assuming TO plays and is 90-100%).

Yet he is the biggest offensive weapon with the least reps with the first team offense.

That concerns me with Portis, and it would concern me with TO.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
We have a tough stretch later in the season, so winning now will be a BIG help. I see this being a game where we run just to keep the Jags honest, but we win or lose this game in the air. We have to sustain drives and score some TD's. The game can easily come down to a missed kick being the difference, so the biggest thing that could come out of this game is a big Vandy uproar if his preseason woes carry over. Drew will be just fine if our pass protection holds up.

If we come out and lay an egg (lots of sacks, fumbles, etc.), then I could see some fans going nuts. I think the defenses is this game are evenly matched, but I give our offense the advantage, we just many more weapons and big play ability than the Jags (assuming TO plays and is 90-100%).

Tough stretch later in the season?? How much later? We open with 6 of our first 9 on the road, then close with 5 of our last 7 at HOME. Think you better take a gander at the Sched again.

Smith22

Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
Tough stretch later in the season?? How much later? We open with 6 of our first 9 on the road, then close with 5 of our last 7 at HOME. Think you better take a gander at the Sched again.

Since you asked.

GIANTS
@Carolina
@Wash
Arizona (easiest game, but they can score quick)
INDY
BUCS
@Giants

Zman5

Reaction score
Dale said:

I got to thinking earlier (dangerous, yes) and started wondering. Should we lose this week, how many cans of worms will open?

It seems like folks are just waiting to pounce on a QBcontroversy, a Jerry-Bill a controversy, or a TO controversy. Heck, even Vanderjagt is a punchline.

Could a loss this week be more damaging than an 0-1 record might indicate? Or, would we just be battling perception and not necessariliy reality?

Like someone said, I think it would depend on how we lose.
I don't think losing to a good team in their house would set off any big alarm.

As long as there isn't any sideline drama during the game, or a big blowout, I don't think losing this game should matter anymore than any other game.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Since you asked.

GIANTS
@Carolina
@Wash
INDY
BUCS
@Giants

Oh, so what you really meant was the middle of the schedule, since there are 5 games before this stretch and 4 games after. No matter how you cut it, the first 12 games are tough. We play 3 of the last 4 at home against New O, Philly and Det. We need to win all 3 of those games. Our 1 away game is at Atl. and who knows what they will be by then? But i know one thing, this losing 3 of 4 in December has to end,so the last month is really the most important. Heck, you can be 6=6 and go 4-0 in December and win the Div(or WC) and make the POs. Something we've failed to do a LOT lately. A win in Jack would be huge, but in the end, we have to kick A that last month.

Smith22

Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
Oh, so what you really meant was the middle of the schedule, since there are 5 games before this stretch and 4 games after.

Later in the season (weeks 7-13), we are in week 1.

Big Dakota said:
No matter how you cut it, the first 12 games are tough. We play 3 of the last 4 at home against New O, Philly and Det. We need to win all 3 of those games. Our 1 away game is at Atl. and who knows what they will be by then? But i know one thing, this losing 3 of 4 in December has to end,so the last month is really the most important. Heck, you can be 6=6 and go 4-0 in December and win the Div(or WC) and make the POs. Something we've failed to do a LOT lately. A win in Jack would be huge, but in the end, we have to kick A that last month.

Break it up in to quarters:

@Jags
WASH
@Titans
@Iggles

Say we go 2-2.

HOUSTON
GIANTS
@Panthers
@Wash

Say we go 2-2.

@Ariz
INDY
BUCS
GIANTS

Say we go 2-2.

SAINTS
@Falcons
IGGLES
LIONS

So yeah, win these last 4 games and we should finish 10-6, good enough for the playoffs, maybe the NFC East crown.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:

To me, this game means very little beyond the face value of a loss. Sure, the media and many fans will jump on the Romo bandwagon if Bledsoe has a bad game. They'll label TO a bust if the Cowboys lose and he doesn't gain 100+ yards and score 2+ touchdowns every week.

This game is definitely a winnable game but the Cowboys can't play like they did against the Vikings (in other words .. multiple turnovers) and expect to win.

Teams don't go undefeated during the year for a reason and while a first week loss to some fans is a big deal, it is the least important game of the year to the team.

My only goal for the first game is to avoid a blowout. Either win the game or lose a close one at worst.

-Reality

Smith22

Reaction score
BTW Dale, never did back with ya on Romo's last game and my thoughts. It wasn't his best game, but he did some things well. The botched shotgun play was awesome, way to improvise. I thought the deep ball would've been a TD if he put a little less air on the ball. The safety had time to run across the field and make the play because of how long that ball floated. When Romo threw the pass, he had a few steps at least. The tipped INT in the endzone, that looked iffy. Did BP ever comment on that one? Looked as if the WR gave up, but the WR also had a man over the top and one short, so if was a tight fit as well. It could have been one of those gun slinger moments, thinking he could squeeze the ball in that space.

Romo's mobiltity is a BIG plus, and he seems to be pretty accurate while running, which is obviously a good thing. He still needs to show he can cut down on some of these mistakes in a real game, which worries me a little. All in all, I feel much better now about our QB situation than I did coming into this year, but I still need to see more when it counts. Hopefully he can continue to improve and maybe he gets a shot next year to have an open competition. Guess it all depends on how this season plays out. Bledsoe is clearly our guy this year unless he gets injured or really takes a nose dive.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Later in the season (weeks 7-13), we are in week 1.

Break it up in to quarters:

@Jags
WASH
@Titans
@Iggles

Say we go 2-2.

HOUSTON
GIANTS
@Panthers
@Wash

Say we go 2-2.

@Ariz
INDY
BUCS
GIANTS

Say we go 2-2.

SAINTS
@Falcons
IGGLES
LIONS

So yeah, win these last 4 games and we should finish 10-6, good enough for the playoffs, maybe the NFC East crown.

This schedule is why i'm picking us to top out at 10-6. If we go 11-5 or 12-4, outstanding, we would really have a contender. But it really is a brutal sched, considering parody in todays NFL.

I think if you look at it the way you broke it up, into 4 sections, we might go over .500 in one of the first three. The first 4some is tough and i see 2-2 there. The second 4some isn't much better and i see 2-2 there as well. So IMHO 4-4 at the halfway point. That 3rd 4some is where maybe we can win 3 of 4? I'm saying after 12 games we are 7-5, with 4 to go. Wins 3 of 4 in December and we go 10-6. Throw in a surprise win somewhere along the line and i could see 11-5. For me, that's where this team is at this point. If we go out and beat Jack i may change my mind. If we go out and lay an egg and get beat soundly i'm still sticking to my 10-6 prediction. Mostely because like others have said, going down there game #1 and losing is no shame and probably doesn't spell a whole lot of doom for any team.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
1st off - teams rarely run away with a BPs team, it happens, but rarely.
So if we're not going to win, it's going to be darn close. I'm still interested in knowing if our defense is as great as advertised, since we didn't get any real work.

This game is important, mainly to show that we can win on the road against tough teams on the biggest stages. Our team has to believe that if we can take out great teams on the road, we can make the playoffs and make some noise. VERY IMPORTANT GAME!!!

sago1

Reaction score
We all hope/expect Cowboys to improve which includes at the very least making the playoffs. While 10-6 is 1 game improvement over last year year, it could easily turn out we don't make the playoffs dependong on what other teams in the NFC do. Barring injuries, I certainly expect a minimum of a 11-5 record which guarantees us a playoff birth & probably win/tie in the East.

If we aren't a legit playoff team, we'll split first 4 games & do same thing in next 4 which leaves us at 4-4 (.550) thru first half of season. Don't see that as acceptable. Our team is young and needs to feel/show it's ready. So, while first game's value is usually important (particularly to the fans), the next 3 are even more important. We must beat Washington (an East team who best us twice in 05), beat Titans & then travel to Philly to beat another East opponent--making us 3-1.

Next 4 games against Houston, Giants, Carolina & Washington nclude 3 tough teams so we must beat a supposedly weak Houston team, win our home game against another East opponent (Giants) & then beat either Carolina or the Skins in 2 away games. Beating hated Skins would be good but beating elite team like Carolina (some pick to go/win SB) might be even better down the stretch for home team advantage should we get to that point later in season. Anyway, it's important we go no worse then 3-1. Which leaves us at 6-2 halfway thru season.

Remaining 8 games in my mind constitute a 2nd new season. Ariz is improved but it's weakest link in this early stretch so we must win it. 2 home games (Indy & Tampa) follow & beating Tampa more feasible. On to 3rd straight away game against Giants; will be tough and might go either way. At minimum we go 2-2, still leaving us with 8-4 record--setting us up for last 4 games of season, 3 at home. Frankly, unless we screw up we must beat NO & Atlanta cause Philly in their stadium might be tough (TO returns to Philly), then back home to Dallas to play Detroit. We should be at least 10-5 at this point and win over Detroit a necessity to leave us with 11-5 record. That should be enough East (Giants were 11-5 in 05) and we're in the playoffs for sure.

I know we have a tough schedule but so do some other teams. A 11-5 record gets us up their but frankly to be viewed as legit elite team a 12-4 record would be a whole lot better. JJ in particular certainly is optimistic (don't know that's worth anything) & Parcells hopeful. If reaching those levels are not doable (probably because of OL) this year, then I'm going to be real upset because it seems to me stuck as little more then average NFL middling team just prodding along.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Smith22 said:

Actually our tough stretch is at the beginning of the season. We play 5 of our last 7 games at home. They may be against some solid teams, but I wouldn't refer to that part of the schedule as the "tough stretch".

Since you asked.

GIANTS
@Carolina
@Wash
INDY
BUCS
@Giants

We don't play Carolina "Later" in the season. They are part of our "tough stretch" from the beginning to middle of the season.

I'm not saying that games later in the season aren't tough, just saying that stretch isn't the "tough stretch". The tough stretch starts sunday. 6 of 9 on the road with 4 of those games against Jax, Philly, Carolina, and Washington. That's a tough stretch. The good thing is we have a lot of home games at the end of the season but we have to at least hang in there from the beginning to middle of the season for that last 5 of 7 advantage to actually be usefull.

If we could go NO WORSE then 4-5 in our first 9 games (and I mean absolutely NO WORSE then that) the we have an outside shot at the playoffs. I'm hoping we start off 6-3. Then win 5 of our last 7. That would probably win us the division.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dale said:

I think a win this weekend is a bigger deal than a loss.

If we lose, it's not a huge thing...on the road, a 12-4 team, a playoff team, an OL that is still very new to each other at LG, RT, and somewhat at C...a WR corps that still needs to play more with Bledsoe...blah blah blah. We can learn from the loss and go on to have a solid season, even playoff season, but we'll be expecting to beat the average to weak teams this year and struggle a little with the true playoff teams.

However, if we win, it will be a huge confidence boost to the entire team, especially the young guys and new starters, not just the fans...it could foreshadow a great start to the season where we run off a few wins and get significantly above .500 to position ourselves for a late season run.

I won't be shocked or overly disappointed if certain predictable parts of our game struggle and we lose a close game, but if we win, and if we win convincingly, wow....that will be a big deal.

lspain1

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I think a win this weekend is a bigger deal than a loss.

If we lose, it's not a huge thing...on the road, a 12-4 team, a playoff team, an OL that is still very new to each other at LG, RT, and somewhat at C...a WR corps that still needs to play more with Bledsoe...blah blah blah. We can learn from the loss and go on to have a solid season, even playoff season, but we'll be expecting to beat the average to weak teams this year and struggle a little with the true playoff teams.

However, if we win, it will be a huge confidence boost to the entire team, especially the young guys and new starters, not just the fans...it could foreshadow a great start to the season where we run off a few wins and get significantly above .500 to position ourselves for a late season run.

I won't be shocked or overly disappointed if certain predictable parts of our game struggle and we lose a close game, but if we win, and if we win convincingly, wow....that will be a big deal.

I agree with this, given that a loss is close. If we get blown out then things could snowball, but given the Jags offense, that is VERY unlikely. The media will carp in any event, but the odds guys are not favoring us to win.

A win here with a strong effort by the defense could begin to build something. I expect our offense to be inconsistent early in the season because of the O-line woes, but our defense needs to show how special they can be.

We'll see.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
A win or loss does not make or break our season. I think it's very important we play a very competitive game on both sides of the ball.

We have the potential to have a great D.......this is the game they can make a huge statement to the league......The first game is their opportunity to step up and prove to everyone, and most importantly to themselves,they can do it when it counts.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
it is a big game but i don't think it will start all that drama cause we are underdogs going in. but its big for 3 reasons. 1.its the 1st game, we want to win it and get some momentum rolling. 2.the eagles are going to beat the texans. 3.we gotta come out and show the world were ready for a big year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dale said:

Out of all the games on the schedule this does not rank very high in my opinion for the simple reason Jacksonville is an AFC team and plays no part in any tie breaker. Winning aginst NFC teams holds value and playing aginst NFC East teams are critical. I know this is the opening day game and you always want to get off to a quick start after a long off-season but if I could pick and choose which games we won and which ones we lost I'd take a loss to an AFC team over losing to any NFC team