'How 'bout them Cowboys?' The inside story of Jimmy Johnson's legendary line

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So was he not so driven when he went to Miami and they did jack squat? Keep in mind, I love Jimmy.

He probably wasn't as driven. He had already built NCAA champions and NFL champions so those mountains were climbed. He got divorced when he took the Cowboys job to solely focus on rebuilding the team, and proving himself in the NFL. By the time he took the Dolphins job he was in a new relationship, settling in the area for his retirement and got married. He was also older.

Bill Parcells didn't win in his last job, either. Does that take away from his accomplishments? Does that mean someone else won his championships?

Your post smells of another attempt to defend Jerry the GM, who has done "jack squat" since the team Jimmy built disintegrated. He couldn't even mastermind another championship with Parcells as his coach. In fact, he's accomplished as much in football the last 20 years as Jimmy, who has been fishing and sitting in a TV studio.

But I'm glad to know you love Jimmy.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
you jest.......surely you jest. National Championships are for that kids game..... I dont pay attention to or care about the kids game.

This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you don't care about something doesn't make it irrelevant.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Stephen is Director of Player Personnel these days. Doesn't seem to have the expertise of a guy who built championship teams in college and the NFL. Go figure.

yeah, this is what happens when nepotism rears its ugly head. We are doomed with this FO in charge. Director of Player Personnel and General Manager..........two of the most important positions building a team and we got these two doofuses trying to figure it out.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry wasn't trying to win a championship with Parcels, he was trying to get a stadium built.

Exactly, most people don't remember that this was the time he was trying to get the best possible sweet deal from city of Dallas and Arlington. They had some very mediocre and poor seasons and was more interested in creating interest on the team and pitting one city against the other. Kind of a Jerry thing to do.
He hired Parcells strictly to create some relevancy and interest. Money is what motivates him, the championships came unexpected for him, led by Jimmy of course. Lightning in a bottle. Could not be replicated after by either Jerry or Jimmy.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Stephen is Director of Player Personnel these days. Doesn't seem to have the expertise of a guy who built championship teams in college and the NFL. Go figure.
what exactly are the qualifications to become a GM?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you don't care about something doesn't make it irrelevant.
It may surprise you, but I made a comment about Jimmy and Miami.... the post responding to it was speaking about the Hurricanes while I was CLEARLY talking about the Dolphins.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Exactly, most people don't remember that this was the time he was trying to get the best possible sweet deal from city of Dallas and Arlington. They had some very mediocre and poor seasons and was more interested in creating interest on the team and pitting one city against the other. Kind of a Jerry thing to do.
He hired Parcells strictly to create some relevancy and interest. Money is what motivates him, the championships came unexpected for him, led by Jimmy of course. Lightning in a bottle. Could not be replicated after by either Jerry or Jimmy.

Jerry needed the support of the fans in order to get the necessary tax dollars. So what does he do? He hires a big name HC who has skins all over the damn wall. This hire gives fans the impression that Jerry was finally serious about winning when that couldn't be further from the truth. The drunken video of Jerry admitting as much surfaced some time afterwards and I've been disgusted with that fool ever since.

Jerry can say all he wants about his desire to win, but that moment when he admitted the real reason why he hired Parcels has proven to me what he is really all about. It isn't winning games or championships.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He probably wasn't as driven. He had already built NCAA champions and NFL champions so those mountains were climbed. He got divorced when he took the Cowboys job to solely focus on rebuilding the team, and proving himself in the NFL. By the time he took the Dolphins job he was in a new relationship, settling in the area for his retirement and got married. He was also older.

Bill Parcells didn't win in his last job, either. Does that take away from his accomplishments? Does that mean someone else won his championships?

Your post smells of another attempt to defend Jerry the GM, who has done "jack squat" since the team Jimmy built disintegrated. He couldn't even mastermind another championship with Parcells as his coach. In fact, he's accomplished as much in football the last 20 years as Jimmy, who has been fishing and sitting in a TV studio.

But I'm glad to know you love Jimmy.

My posts arent about defending Jerry. My posts are always pointing out the same thing over and ober again. George Seifert was an anmazing coach in SF. He had the all time highest winning % in NFL history when he was hired in Carolina. He must have forgot how to coach on the flight to Carolina, cause he sucked as soon as he no longer had a HOF QB.

Same with Jimmy
Same with Parcells
Same with Billy Boy right now
Same .... Sean Peyton is about to find out.

Same with ....... I could keep going, but you get my point.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry needed the support of the fans in order to get the necessary tax dollars. So what does he do? He hires a big name HC who has skins all over the damn wall. This hire gives fans the impression that Jerry was finally serious about winning when that couldn't be further from the truth. The drunken video of Jerry admitting as much surfaced some time afterwards and I've been disgusted with that fool ever since.

Jerry can say all he wants about his desire to win, but that moment when he admitted the real reason why he hired Parcels has proven to me what he is really all about. It isn't winning games or championships.

You should just hate everyone that has anything to do with sports or entertainment, because if we got to hear their behind teh scenes thoughts after some drinks.... Im glad im not taped after Ive had a few drinks and start blathering. Its good to be a nobody.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
So was he not so driven when he went to Miami and they did jack squat? Keep in mind, I love Jimmy.
Seriously, dude. Marino had been doing "jack squat" after his rookie year.

1 SB, they lost, never to reach that pinnacle again......yah, Jimmy was gonna overcome Marino. THEE face of that franchise.