How can a team start games like that and then

Praxit

Reaction score
just play like an entirely different team for most of the rest of the game.

Two weeks in a row, the Cowboys have started the game with a long opening drive that culminated in a TD and looked as impressive as any team in the NFL. Last night, a 17 play 9 minute clock gobbling drive that sent the message they were responding to the previous week's loss and putting that behind them. The ship had been righted and was under sail and then...…...shipwreck.

I don't get it and it's not as easy as blaming coaching, they're not on the field. I am interested in some theories about this because I do not recall seeing anything like this before.

I do not know if they script the first 15 as some OC's do because a lot of DC's give a different look to start game specifically because of that.

If any team can do that to open a game, why can't they duplicate or sustain that? It's the same coaches and players.

You X and O posters, are the DC's making strong adjustments after that first drive that change the Cowboys offensive tactics?

I am interested in some thoughts on this.
..CC, that's a conundrum for modern cowboy football. You can almost feel the, "huh", ...after the 2nd and 3rd series of offense. Its like a ghost in the machine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We seemed ok even after falling behind 10-7. Then the missed FG appeared to turn the monentum.

In other games it’s been a stalled drive with no points, a drive killing penalty or turnover.

Momentum is a key ingredient. We don’t overcome adversity very well. I think that’s at least partially on the talent and chemistry .

The fact this team struggles overcoming 7 point deficits in 2nd half is a telling factor.

This talent are front runners. When everything is going well they are good . The first sign of adversity they seem to fade. Probably part coaching and leadership on the team.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have said it before the game when I predict the Bears would win in a possible blowout. The Cowboys can come out fired up a little and the first time they get punched in the mouth they fold. Agaist Buffalo, they came out hot, scored a quick TD. Held Buffalo a couple of drives, then on a 3rd and 10 from teh Buffalo 2, they allowed a 30 yard pass to Beasely. That changed the entire game. From there on the Bills were fired up and handing it to the Cowboys and the Cowboys were on their heels. The Bear got after Dallas early last night, taking their first drive all the way into the red zone before Lewis made a miraculous interception of Trubisky at the half yard line. But that drive was a punch in the mouth to the defense who clearly felt they had no idea what was going on. The Bears ran, threw, and fooled the Cowboys to move the ball quickly and efficiently. The Cowboys could not stop them. In the meantime, Dak started to panic, rush his throws, throw off balance.and the result was in completions and punts. Then when Maher missed a 42 yard FG after another drive stalled on a dumb mistake by the FB, the blowout was on.

There is no more fight in this team on either side of the ball. There is no pride anymore.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Because the Bears and Bills made adjustments as the game went on and the Cowboys never adjusted to their adjustments.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Lately, I've heard several Panthers commentators/fans asking the same question about Kyle Allen's fast starts in games with Norv Turner calling plays.

It's harder to make reads after the defense sees how you want to attack different formations.