How can Matt Leinart be a better Hiesman hopeful than Bush?

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Bush gets the ball for the 2nd play of the game and springs the most spactacular 65 yard TD run that you will ever see.

Bush may not even get an envite to NY and he's head and shoulders better than C. Benson.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Bush gets the ball for the 2nd play of the game and springs the most spactacular 65 yard TD run that you will ever see.

Bush may not even get an envite to NY and he's head and shoulders better than C. Benson.
I like the kid, too, but he just doesn't have the stats. He isn't even leading his own team in rushing.

Leinart? Easy. 28 tds, only 5 int, and 66%. That's why he's a candidate.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
I like the kid, too, but he just doesn't have the stats. He isn't even leading his own team in rushing.

Leinart? Easy. 28 tds, only 5 int, and 66%. That's why he's a candidate.

Leinart is having a great season but I just think that Bush is the better player. He's been moved around so much as a primary target and as a decoy that his numbers don't reflect the kind of impact that he has during the game.

Then again the Heisman Trophy has ignored the best play and is usually awarded to the player with the best stats.

...love those USC cheerleader sweaters :eek:

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Leinart is having a great season but I just think that Bush is the better player. He's been moved around so much as a primary target and as a decoy that his numbers don't reflect the kind of impact that he has during the game.

Then again the Heisman Trophy has ignored the best play and is usually awarded to the player with the best stats.

...love those USC cheerleader sweaters :eek:

agree with everything you said....you can't tell me that bush isn't the best football player in the nation...it's not even close.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
that second td run of 81 yards just proved my point....wow

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
agree with everything you said....you can't tell me the bush isn't the best football player in the nation...it's not even close.

Yeah, that one just went for 86.

This kid may be the biggest threat that college football has seen in 15-20 years.

jcollins28

Reaction score
Game did not end the way I would have liked but my Bruins put on a good show. The best thing about SC fans though is after football season you never hear a beep out of them.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm with ya.

Like one of the guys on the postgame mentioned, if they lined him up exclusively at running back and gave him all the carries he might go for 2,500 yards.

wick

Reaction score
SALADIN said:

You meant to say that Benson is head and shoulders better than Bush. Benson is his team's offense. Bush is just another weapon on a loaded USC team. It's Benson, not Bush, who faces nine-man fronts devised by defensive coordinators who know that Texas can't pass the ball. It's Benson who averages 160+ yards rushing per game and almost two scores per game. Bush is the most dangerous player in the game, but given the workload, Benson is more deserving of Heisman consideration.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:
I'm with ya.

Like one of the guys on the postgame mentioned, if they lined him up exclusively at running back and gave him all the carries he might go for 2,500 yards.

What he said Wick

Benson isn't even the best back in the Big 12 (Adrian Peterson). Its not Bush's fault that he's so much more versatile than Benson and has the ablity to line up all over the field nor is it USC's fault that they develop the talent that they recruit unlike Texas who's recruiting classes have usually ranked in the top 5 for the last few years and has played in 0 National Championship games.

And like the announcers during the game and the halftime crew said if Bush played RB all the time his numbers would be through the roof.

But right now Bush can do more for the team being a weapon at several different positions.

Bush is a better RB, better receiver, and better kick returner. Benson is a good back but he's not even in Bush's class and right now no one is.

wick

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
What he said Wick

Benson isn't even the best back in the Big 12 (Adrian Peterson). Its not Bush's fault that he's so much more versatile than Benson and has the ablity to line up all over the field nor is it USC's fault that they develop the talent that they recruit unlike Texas who's recruiting classes have usually ranked in the top 5 for the last few years and has played in 0 National Championship games.

And like the announcers during the game and the halftime crew said if Bush played RB all the time his numbers would be through the roof.

But right now Bush can do more for the team being a weapon at several different positions.

Bush is a better RB, better receiver, and better kick returner. Benson is a good back but he's not even in Bush's class and right now no one is.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. The Heisman is not meant to reward what guys could have done. I'd love to see what Benson, a guy who has out-performed Peterson both in the aggregate and on a per-carry basis, could do in an offense that forces defenses to play the pass first. An offense like, say, Oklahoma's or USC's. I guess we'll just have to live with the reality in which Benson has out-performed Bush and Peterson despite playing in an offense far less suited to putting up monster statistics.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
wick said:
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. The Heisman is not meant to reward what guys could have done. I'd love to see what Benson, a guy who has out-performed Peterson both in the aggregate and on a per-carry basis, could do in an offense that forces defenses to play the pass first. An offense like, say, Oklahoma's or USC's. I guess we'll just have to live with the reality in which Benson has out-performed Bush and Peterson despite playing in an offense far less suited to putting up monster statistics.

And if if was a 5th we'd all be drunk. You talk about if's but your argument is based on; if Benson had this or if Benson had that then things would be different. Texas fans are full of excuses for their beloved group of underacheivers and Benson is this years poster boy.

You're right the Heisman is supposed to be awarded to the best player in the nation and not the the one who just puts up the good stats. Benson won't sniff the Heisman this year and while Leinart may when it he's not even the best player on his team.

wick

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Texas fans are full of excuses for their beloved group of underacheivers and Benson is this years poster boy.

We can safely ignore everything else you say.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
wick said:
We can safely ignore everything else you say.

Clever

Out of ammunition as usual. Congrats on Benson and the horns falling short AGAIN ;)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
SALADIN said:

You're completely right. He's much better and more important to the team than Leinart. Any number of guys could QB that team as well as Leinart... Bush made the difference for them this year.

He's a special player.

In fact, I'd say he's the third best player in the country! :D

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Danny White said:
In fact, I'd say he's the third best player in the country! :D

just curious...who would you say are the first 2?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
just curious...who would you say are the first 2?

1) Jason White
2) Adrian Peterson
3) Reggie Bush

And I'm not biased at all. :p

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Danny White said:
1) Jason White
2) Adrian Peterson
3) Reggie Bush

And I'm not biased at all. :p

i don't reckon you'd throw benson in there too huh?? :p

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
i don't reckon you'd throw benson in there too huh?? :p

Hey, I've never seen the guy break 100 yds. Is he supposed to be good or something?