How confident are you about these Linebackers?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Inspired to do something because Ranching asked for it, I wanted to get your insight on this LB group. All great defenses need a stellar group of LBs. The Ravens had Lewis, the Giants had LT and Banks, the Steelers had Lambert, the Bears had Singletary...I could go on.

Right now the Cowboys have Bernard, Gifford, Lee, March, Smith, Thomas, and LVE on the roster. Lee, Smith, and LVE are probably the starters and Smith and LVE are mostly on the field when they go nickel which will be the majority of the plays. IMO Thomas is probably next up.

This group is by far the scariest on the current roster. You could make a case for S but given the depth at CB and a couple of guys that could probably play S if need be I am less worried about that position.

Lee was a great player, and I think he can still be in spots, but he is a major injury risk. LVE is coming off a major injury and did not play well last year. Smith is an absolute wild card. Should be great. Can be great. I think is issue is that he is a flake and too distracted to be a really great NFL LB. Thomas played well last year but he is just above a JAG in my opinion. The rest are camp bodies, ST guys, and JAGs not suited to play major defensive snaps.

Injury risk is high and this group is an injury or 2 away from being a major liability. I am very surprised the position was not sured up to in the draft and I expect it to be big focus for the upcoming draft.

I see big issues coming at LB this season. Your views are appreciated.
Again as it has been said in the past..

As Stehen A would say..

"They are an accident waiting to happen."

Lee is on his last go round and you know he will not last 17 games plus playoffs.

Wolf Hunter is going to have to be managed with his snaps until they know he can really go. And who knows if he will be the same. It may take until 2021 to get him back 100%.

We really have no depth at all.

I do not know if he is still unsigned but Clay Matthews would be a solid pickup to help the LBers.

He can play any position and he rushes the passer well.

If not him..then a pickup from the cuts coming or a trade for a 6th rd pick for somebody with tread left.

I do not want to go thin at that position. It will haunt us and the pass rush will suffer as well as the safety play against the TEs that annually kill us.

and speaking of safety play..we can not play them like we did last year. Somehow we have to fix that. Either switch the personnel around and try another combo or change the defense to more man to man.

Playing zone against good TEs is poison for us and Philly killed us with it.

Big hole to close there. Diggs will help the CBs but still..safety haunts. Clinton Dix will surely help but we need more than just that change.

There has to be a complete overhaul with the playcalliing, scheme and personnel.

Last edited: