Video: How Cowboys Sam Williams took over the Past 3 Games

conner01

Reaction score
What if Sam Williams is Michael Parsons 2.0?

The thing I like about Sam Williams is when the running back lines up on his side, or directly behind the QB, he is eyeing the running back at the snap. So he's not one of those guys that will just go out to the QB every time.
I can’t compare him with Micah
Micah may be in the conversation for best defensive player in the league
But Williams does have the potential to be really good
I think the strength of his game has impressed me the most. I knew he was fast but he plays with much more power than I expected. He also seems to be a smart player who is gonna get even better with reps
He’s a guy who could come back after a full off season and the experience he gets this year and be a heck of an impact player
If he’s Micah 2.0 then goodell will probably say we have a illegal competitive advantage lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Lool, sorry, just gotta point out on the very first snap LVE is just hitched on the blocker for the ride for almost 10-yards, smh.

Not completely defending LVE, but his role in this defense is a lot different than Williams' role, or even what's asked of the other linebackers. I know some can't stand him because he's not making plays like Micah, but their responsibilities aren't the same. It's similar for Barr, although he plays more in pass defense. You don't see him make a lot of tackles in the backfield, either. With all the movement we use up front, we need these players to be gap control. Of course, the offense wants to get a lineman on them to get them out of the running lanes.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Looks a very solid situational pass rusher, but need to see him make plays against the run before I think he can be an every down DE.

Most scouting reports had him as a 3rd+ rounder so hoping he can prove me wrong.

Anddddddd here comes everyone hating my post.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Looks a very solid situational pass rusher, but need to see him make plays against the run before I think he can be an every down DE.

Most scouting reports had him as a 3rd+ rounder so hoping he can prove me wrong.

Anddddddd here comes everyone hating my post.
After his production a 3rd rounder? That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. I thought he was always slated as a late 1 - early to mid 2nd depending how the picks fell for each team.

Creeper

Reaction score
I recall a few really good run stops by Williams that should have made this video. He shows as much balance in his game as any DE I have seen for Dallas since Demarcus Ware.

On another note, this series of plays convinced me again that Trysten Hill was much better than Neville Gallimore, and even Osa Odighizuwa. Go ahead and watch the video again and notice how Hill has control of his blocker on almost every play. I understand why he was the odd man out - he will be a free agent next year - but he gets more criticism than he deserved.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Love the potential of this guy

Awesome and accurate breakdown!

This video creator does very well breaking down defense. It's when he breaks down the Oline that he needs more work. Overall, he did a great job breaking down Sam Williams. As some of us said, Sam Williams is going to turn into a beast! Dan Quinn definitely needs to play Sam so much more the second half of this season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not completely defending LVE, but his role in this defense is a lot different than Williams' role, or even what's asked of the other linebackers. I know some can't stand him because he's not making plays like Micah, but their responsibilities aren't the same. It's similar for Barr, although he plays more in pass defense. You don't see him make a lot of tackles in the backfield, either. With all the movement we use up front, we need these players to be gap control. Of course, the offense wants to get a lineman on them to get them out of the running lanes.

He wasn’t manning a gap though. He was in open space. There is nothing requiring him to stayed glued to the blocker; the play went way outside

ghst187

Reaction score
Wow SW>>>> Randy Gregory. Have to say it worked out well for us that the RG deal didn’t work out.
Looked like a hold or two on that film plus one hands to the face…all not called of course.

look at our draft….Second rounders Diggs and Sam…wow.

ondaedg

Reaction score

I think the frustration with LVE is his inability to read the play quickly and get off blocks. He’s struggled in both those areas since he was a rookie.

cnuball21

Reaction score
After his production a 3rd rounder? That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. I thought he was always slated as a late 1 - early to mid 2nd depending how the picks fell for each team.

Nope. I literally did this right after the draft pulling his average big board spot and I think it was in the 70s.