How did Gurode Look?

DBoys

Reaction score
I was watching so many other players I forget to watch him at center. Did anyone see how he did with the blocking assignments etc?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
He played solid..........and most important of all, his name was not called once during the game.

marchetta

Reaction score
I haven't analyzed his play as of yet, but I did focus on him for 2 series during the game, and he looked better than solid; He looked GREAT! On one play that I remember, he handled a Seattle defender 1-on-1 during a pass block assignment. Usually, a Center is dbl teaming a defender with a guards help, but Gurode was all alone. What was most noticable was that everyone else had backed up several steps to do their pass blocking, and form a pocket, while Gurode was still at the LOS holding his man up. I mean the defender couldn't get 1 step past the LOS. Everyone else was 3 or 4 yrds behind Gurode, and here he was at the LOS doing battle all alone. There was a 3 yrd gap on BOTH sides of Gurode, so the defender had plenty of room to move laterally, but he couldn't disengage from Gurode. He just stood there stymied at the LOS hand fighting, and couldn't move 1 step further. I was amazed, because usually when an O-lineman is pass blocking, the defender usually gets some kind of push into the backfield. But not against Gurode. I'm still amazed at that play, which is why it's still stuck in my mind.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In my opinion, Gurode was our best lineman in the game. Didn't miss anything in pass blocking. That being said, all of our interior lineman lacked something in pass blocking.

But to answer your question - don't expect to see too much of Johnson if Gurode stays this way.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
In my opinion, Gurode was our best lineman in the game. Didn't miss anything in pass blocking. That being said, all of our interior lineman lacked something in pass blocking.

But to answer your question - don't expect to see too much of Johnson if Gurode stays this way.
I just watched the first half again and all of the interior line looked superb on pass blocking. After the second drive I was ready to speak highly of Gurode because he did very well, but Al Johnson came in during the 3rd drive and did just as well. The tackles and TEs were doing a horrible job of both run and pass-blocking, though.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
theogt said:
I just watched the first half again and all of the interior line looked superb on pass blocking. After the second drive I was ready to speak highly of Gurode because he did very well, but Al Johnson came in during the 3rd drive and did just as well. The tackles and TEs were doing a horrible job of both run and pass-blocking, though.

You are absolutely right. I meant to say run blocking. My apologies!:eek::

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
You are absolutely right. I meant to say run blocking. My apologies!:eek::
The problem with Gurode, though, is that he locks on to one guy and just blocks him. Perfect example: On the 4th play of the 2nd drive he doubles up with Kosier on one of the d-linemen who is neutralized and let's the LB run right past him to make the tackle. He could have (and should have) easily moved on to the LB and Julius might have picked up a few more yards...or might have juked the defenders and busted for some major yardage.

marchetta

Reaction score
Gurode was by far our best O-lineman in the game. He never let any defender past the LOS during pass blocking. During running plays, he constitently blew his man off the LOS. On a 3rd & 1 play he single-handedly turned the defender sideways and pancaked him at the LOS. He's by far the most physical player we have on the line. When Al came in during the 2nd quarter, he was able to wall-off defenders during running plays. He didn't really push anyone off the LOS, he just used technique to wall defenders off. I'm not saying this isn't a good thing, because Stepnoski would do the same thing back in the day. However, on one play in the 3rd quarter, Al allowed a 2nd string defender to get by him. He almost sacked Romo, but Romo saw him coming and got rid of the ball just in time. Another time on 3rd & 1, Al stood the defender up at LOS rather than blowing him off line. Al simply doesn't have the size/strength needed to push defenders off the LOS consistently if at all. Gurode and Al's styles are like night and day. If you want a physical overpowering Center that can blow defenders off the LOS, then Gurodes your man. If you want a guy who's more finess and uses good techinque, then Al's your man. IMO I'd take Gurode every time. He's our best O-linman, and he never let anyone by him that I can recall. I just love watching him manhandle defenders at the LOS. He's the type of player that will beat the opposing NT/DT into submission by the 4th quarter. We've never had a Center, in recent memory, with his strength and power. If he keeps his focus he'll be one of the better Centers in the league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I felt Gurode did a good job. I thought for the most part the OL in general did a very good job pass blocking. When a QB can look the field over go through the progression make the throw and still be standing after the throw to see the reception someone was clearly making blocks up front.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Doesn't Seattle have a 4 man front?

Why did Gurode start?:rolleyes:

Weight issue -------no longer a factor

Rookie season injury-----------no longer a factor

We play 4-3 fronts in 3 out of the 4 preaseason games........It appears Gurode is already stealing from Al Jonson

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Charles said:

We play 4-3 fronts in 3 out of the 4 preaseason games........It appears Gurode is already stealing from Al Jonson
Why did Romo start over Bledsoe? Why did Shanle start over Ayodele? Why Columbo over Pettiti/Fabini? Why Hurd over Crayton?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Charles said:

I think if Gurode continues playing good football he has a chance but I don't think the competition is over just yet.

The Realist

Reaction score
Boy, our big/strong center sure got a lot of movement against those smaller/quicker 4-3 DT's.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think if Gurode continues playing good football he has a chance but I don't think the competition is over just yet.

Be interesting to see how both centers play when teams get more serious later in pre-season. And I'd like to see Gurode put a few solid back to back games together. I thought last year he'd really turned a corner in Carolina but then he laid about a dozen eggs the next week.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Be interesting to see how both centers play when teams get more serious later in pre-season. And I'd like to see Gurode put a few solid back to back games together. I thought last year he'd really turned a corner in Carolina but then he laid about a dozen eggs the next week.

That is the key consistency. I felt he did a good job sat but it means nothing if he can't come back the following week and get the job done once again. That goes for everyone on the line. While I felt they all did well in pass protection they need to continue week in and week out as well as improve in run blocking. For the 1st pre-season game I was happy with the performance but it gets harder as we move forward.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
Why did Romo start over Bledsoe?
Bledsoe is an established and proven vet. He has nothing to prove. Romo earned the playing time. Infact there have been blurbs that Romo has performed better than Bledsoe in camp

Al Johnson isn't a proven vet. He hasn't established anything and the Gurode has been the best Olineman in camp (Parcell told JJT per his article).

Weak comparison.........but on the surface it might look good.

theogt said:
Why did Shanle start over Ayodele?
Could be various reason........trade....Shanle could be performing better than Akin in camp (not surprising he has more years in the system).

This doesn't exaplin why Al Johnson hasn't had reps with the 1st string since the 6th or 7th pratice. We're going into practice No.20!!!!

Shanle and Akin have been getting reps with the 1st team defense unlike Al Johnson.

Weak comparison.
theogt said:
Why Columbo over Pettiti/Fabini?
Have you been paying attention. Colombo took Petitt starting spot after1 1/2 weeks of camp. HE EARNED THE START. This isn't only about finding out about players . Colombo has performed better in camp.

What did Petitti do last year that would make you believe he doesn't need the reps or chemistry with the 1st unit.
Why Hurd over Crayton?

Football 101.

Hurd is TO primary back-up.

Crayton doesn't play at TO's role, Hurd does. There's a reason why WRs are listed as X.....Y......and Z. They perform different roles within the offense.

Keep reaching...........AL Johnson is running out of excuses. He better get in camp and really push Gurode.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
What will you be saying when Fabini gets the start on Monday (as has been mentioned will be the case)? That he won the job away from Columbo? What teams people are playing with right now just doesn't have as much impact as you're thinking it does.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:
What will you be saying when Fabini gets the start on Monday (as has been mentioned will be the case)? That he won the job away from Columbo? What teams people are playing with right now just doesn't have as much impact as you're thinking it does.
When Fabini gets a start over Colombo, it will because he's earned it.........in camp..........

I am by no means declaring victory for any player, I am just pointing out that players start because they've earned it.

Well I think it does have a big impact. I hope Al Johnson feels the pain and motivation that comes with being relegated to 2nd team and goes back into camp ready to earn back his starting spot.

Parcell's doesn't hand out starting spots........just ask the Hensonites:p:.

He doesn't start players that haven't earned the gig just to take a looksee. We've already seen what happens when players are handed jobs (Thanksgiving 2 years ago - Henson's debut).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Charles said:
When Fabini gets a start over Colombo, it will because he's earned it.........in camp..........

I am by no means declaring victory for any player, I am just pointing out that players start because they've earned it.

Well I think it does have a big impact. I hope Al Johnson feels the pain and motivation that comes with being relegated to 2nd team and goes back into camp ready to earn back his starting spot.

Parcell's doesn't hand out starting spots........just ask the Hensonites:p:.

He doesn't start players that haven't earned the gig just to take a looksee.
We've already seen what happens when players are handed jobs (Thanksgiving 2 years ago - Henson's debut).
Actually, that's precisely what he does in camp and in preseason games.