How Did Jerry Jones Become Undisputedly The Best GM In The NFL?

Stryker44

Reaction score
Hey,

When the Cowboys won Super Bowls in the 90s, it was Jimmy Johnson, not Jerry Jones who was the GM and architect.

When Jerry Jones took over, the Cowboys suffered 20 years of poor play for the most part.

How has Jones developed in recent years into the most savvy astute GM in the NFL? Has the way he handles war rooms and breaks down film and evaluates players completely different these days?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hey,

When the Cowboys won Super Bowls in the 90s, it was Jimmy Johnson, not Jerry Jones who was the GM and architect.

When Jerry Jones took over, the Cowboys suffered 20 years of poor play for the most part.

How has Jones developed in recent years into the most savvy astute GM in the NFL? Has the way he handles war rooms and breaks down film and evaluates players completely different these days?

I think he has realized that having "Yes men" are the reason for the drought. I also think that Stephen has helped as he has grown into the heir apparent to the throne. The hiring of guys like McClay and JG that are vocal about what they want which may be contrary to what Jerry wants has been tantamount.

Dracula

Reaction score
On game day's, he's not allowed to leave the owners box or pass notes to the sidelines. During the draft, he is the one that goes for coffee, from the Starbucks in Fort Worth.

landroverking

Reaction score
I think you guys underestimate Jerry.
Some of you can't get over Jimmy leaving.
He was going to leave regardless of the GM or owner.
Jerry is loved by most of his players.
And above all else remember it's his candy store.
Just think we could have an owner like the Browns. Or worse yet foreign ownership.
Remember there was a Group from Japan that wanted to buy Dallas, but they wouldn't fire Landry opening the door for Jerry.

Dracula

Reaction score
I don't think that we are underestimating Jones. Jerry Jones knows how to make money but as a GM his record sucks. He bought the team in 1989 and then his last heyday was winning the 1996 Super Bowl. The rest is abysmal history.Let's face it, he got lucky by drafting the diamond in the rough Dak Prescott.