How did we lose to the Rams?

Aven8

Reaction score
We couldn’t make stop the run.

I still don’t get it. We are a big matchup problem for them and they just ran it all over us.

270 yards when we allowed 94 on average.

A little pre-snap movement and we just never adjusted.

Tony said it. We went at an angle and they ate it up. We had to go right at them....no adjustments.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Worst defensive game plan ever conceived. Seriously...we had our NT tryting to cover the A and B gaps...w/ no help. Rams guards had free reign to our LBers.

I mean...we literally parted the sea for these guys to march to the Super Bowl.

Honestly...there was a reason Marinellie was 0-16 as a head coach for the Lions.

I just want to know who put that dog crap game plan together. I suspect it was Marinellie because Richard was interviewing for jobs all week...so somebody had to come up w/ that crap.

We did things in that game we hadn't done all season....

I'm not sure if we were trying to out smart them by showing them something we hadn't done all season...or the fix was just in to get the Rams to the Super Bowl.

Either way...somebodies head should roll for that BS. Still can't get over it.:banghead:

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Belichick is a defensive guru but Brady still had to close the game out. He’s pure money.

Rams are a more talented team than the Cowboys. Sometimes teams are stumped. Look what we did to Saints. That doesn’t mean we’re a better team. Everything just went right in one game. Did Garrett our coach Peyton? No

Blake

Reaction score
twtvrjcmp4djppq49iki.jpg

/thread

hello-darkness.gif

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Because they are the better team and have better coaches.

popp1234

Reaction score
Main reason:

Good enough is good enough. Garrett is making a lucrative career with this mindset. Ever noticed when he is in the hot seat, the team is better prepared, even upsetting “superior” opponents. Then, when he thinks he has done enough and is above water, he goes back to being Garrett - good enough is good enough.

Good enough should NEVER be good enough!

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Because they are the better team and have better coaches.
No they are not the better team. Talent wise there are areas that they are better and areas where we are better. All things considered it should have been a fairly even match. However our biggest deficit is found on the sidelines. A coaching staff led by a guy running an outdated system and does not have any drive to change or improve.

lk8701

Reaction score
A good coach would have game planned for them. You see what Belececk did to them. Why doesn't it ever seem that we put our team in a position to win vs just forcing them to bang their heads against the other team?

The Cowboys defense has much more talent than the Patriots defense so it's 100% coaching.
Imagine Belichick with Jaylon, LVE, Byron, D Law, and Gregory.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Well, if Bill was smart he watched our game and learned from it. He is smart, so that happened.

Rams switched up some tendencies for our game, when the later half of the season they had some trouble against things we did, they planned for us approaching it the same way. They went into the game showing classic cover 3, single high, and man beating personnel groups. And from the get go, the entire plan was to beat up on our DT's and take advantage of DE's in our nickel packages when they figured out we were probably going to do what had been decently successful against them previously.

The book on Goff was he was bad under pressure, and beating the Rams OL straight up would be tough sledding (especially after the effort vs the Colts). The Rams OTs had a great year, and their interior OL was still good, but the C was the weakest link 2nd half of the season, and I guess we thought we had better odds of creating pressure against the interior guys C/RG/LG if we used some of the speed and length we had at DE to stunt/twist and create favorable matchups or even catch them off balance a few times. We'd been pretty good vs the run all year so I guess we thought we'd be okay there while still creating some pressure.

And we got killed. They knew the tendencies of the twists/stunts and were planning on disguising runs anyway, so they prepared for it. I'm not exactly sure how long we stuck with it, but it looks like we were smoked pretty early.

The Patriots played them more straight up while shooting upfield. Very gap disciplined. Give their secondary and Belichek credit because they absolutely smothered their routes/tendencies in the pass game. They continuously got pressure by sending pressure up the A and B gaps, leaving DEs to occupy the OTs and DTs to try and get upfield/draw double teams. I was continuously surprised by the punches that troubled Havenstein pretty frequently. It looks like the plan there was to punch and drive Havenstein consistently, while playing the cutback in the run game but often bringing a 5th guy up the A/B gap. They worked to create space in these gaps.

Belichek is also a defensive mastermind, so there's that. Arguably the best NFL mind of all time. That helps.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good coach would have game planned for them. You see what Belececk did to them. Why doesn't it ever seem that we put our team in a position to win vs just forcing them to bang their heads against the other team?
I don’t disagree that we didn’t prepare well for the Rams, but let’s not pretend the Super Bowl game was representative of their entire season. The Rams were 13-3, so a lot of teams failed to find a way to beat them.

popp1234

Reaction score
No they are not the better team. Talent wise there are areas that they are better and areas where we are better. All things considered it should have been a fairly even match. However our biggest deficit is found on the sidelines. A coaching staff led by a guy running an outdated system and does not have any drive to change or improve.

I will add to that that some of our coaches just DO NOT use common sense. It infuriates me when you have one of the league’s best rushers in the game on 1st and goal from the 4 and you pass it 3 damn times! Even opposing teams are surprised we don’t run it more down there. Sometimes the difference between the genius and the idiot is common sense.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I think the main reason is that our defensive players started chasing the Rams running backs individually. You're not gonna tackle them that easily with no real skill or tactic. That seems like brawl football to me instead of acquired football fundamentals.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
If Belichick is Tier 1 and the other good coaches are Tier 2 (Reid, Payton, McVay, Pederson, etc.) then Garrett is Tier 3 at best. Maybe even Tier 4 if you want to put some other more proven head coaches in there because there are still plenty of guys with better resumes.