How do we get to the level of these 2 Superbowl teams?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take the ball away a lot more than we do. And fix the ST issues across the board.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How far off are we?

I don't think we could ever be like the Chiefs because Mahomes is really that whole team. He's the best player in the NFL right now.

What we can replicate from the Chiefs is an offense that creates more explosive plays.

2 problems...

Dak is not an explosive big play QB.

Zeke was not an explosive RB at all this past season.

Defensively on paper I don't see us too far from the 9ers but when it plays out on the field our defense is nowhere near theirs.

I like our front 7 with Quinn. We need some help at DT.

Byron would be a big loss IMO. Especially with this coordinator.

But he isn't the whole team. He has arguably the best offensive pass catchers in the business. They also have one of the best offensive minds in football. No granted, Mahones makes it all come together. The guy is the best in the business.

Defense is nothing special, but they do have a decent pass rush.

SF is more of what we need to become. A top 5 defense, excellent coaching, and a dominant run game with a QB that is a winner and can make plays. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

We got rid of Garrett and hired MM. Now we need to focus on the defense and we are there.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
How far off are we?

I don't think we could ever be like the Chiefs because Mahomes is really that whole team. He's the best player in the NFL right now.

What we can replicate from the Chiefs is an offense that creates more explosive plays.

2 problems...

Defensively on paper I don't see us too far from the 9ers but when it plays out on the field our defense is nowhere near theirs.

First let me say this is a good question and topic.
This is what the jones boys should have been thinking about and discussing before they even hired MM.
My answer is I dont think Dallas can get to that level.
To get there, it requires that you first hire an above avg to very good HC.
Then the GM and owner, have to be subservient to that HC.
Then they together have to develop a plan to build a certain type team, an elite team.
Once they develop a plan they agree on then the GM's job is to get the players the HC needs, and there would be priority
needs which they take care of first.
The gm and HC have to be on the same page working with the same plan .

Here with cowboys, it has been the HC being subservient to the GM, and he just works with what he is given, and with no permanent plan,
it is just a yearly plan that jones boys might change on a whim.
It is promising that jerry is letting MM hire his own staff, but the flaw there is mike is hiring only people he knows and likes. I would hire the best
for my plan, even if I didnt know them. But have to see how this works out, they may all be good, I dont know.
But They just hired mike, so I dont see how they could have formulated a mutual plan, and I guess mike had a plan they liked, lol and they
are rolling with that, or maybe they still dont have a solid well thought out plan.

I am not saying cowboys cant win a SB, because it will be hard for KC and SF to keep their teams at the level they are now.
KC has to pay Mahomes soon, and others too.
SF may have more time with what they have.

I will say this, KC managed to accumulate some outstanding talent, and they found Mahomes , so I dont know who all gets credit for that,
but the GM has to get a lot of credit for that.
Jerry has never been that good at spotting top talent and then getting them all at same time.
I would love to know if Mahomes was even on the dallas draft board, and if so , what did they think of him as a prospect??
In the past Jerry has been prone to draft projects, and bargain players, instead of top talent.
And in FA he has not done too good either, quinn was ok, and Amari looked good but now he is questionable.
Signing Eliott to such a big contract was a big mistake, if you look at both KC and SF, they get same or better production from much cheaper RB's.
Mostert seems to big a big find for SF, which even they doubt, since they seemed to still think tevin coleman was the better rb lol.
Mostert is possibly the fastest big RB in the NFL, and he has good power too. He is a former sprinter, and played WR in college.
And he is dirt cheap, which allows money to be spent elsewhere for the time being.
Dallas is stuck paying EE 15 mil a year , a guy who needs lots of breaks in a game and is quite slow compared to Mostert.

This is where detailed planning comes into play , and has a big advantage over the jones model of just winging it each year.
Things have changed, but I dont think it is enough to get cowboys to an elite level.

edit..... I bet Hitchens is glad he did not get signed by jones boys now, he is going to his
first SB, and could have a winners ring soon. He would not be there had he signed
with the cowboys. He also got paid more in KC.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
Simply replace JG and co with a competent coaching staff, presto!

Flamma

Reaction score
How far off are we?

2 problems...

At this point we're closer to the 49ers. Get two first round talent at DT and a really good blocking TE. That's easier said than done, and it's assuming our current OL is up to the task.