How do we stop the Giants' running game?

Zman5

Reaction score
I got to admit that I was very impressed by how the Giants' ran all over the Ravens. Big mouth Jacobs was running people over including Ray Lewis.

The Giants have the perfect formula for beating a high scoring offense like ours. They can just run it down our throats and keep our offense off the field.

How the heck do we stop that "Earth, Wind and Fire"(man that's gay sounding) running attack?

Will Wade come up with some special scheme that we don't know about?

juck

Reaction score
We could 'nancy kerrigan' jacobs.His knees are prone already.

Reaction score
Zman5;2427944 said:
I got to admit that I was very impressed by how the Giants' ran all over the Ravens. Big mouth Jacobs was running people over including Ray Lewis.

The Giants have the perfect formula for beating a high scoring offense like ours. They can just run it down our throats and keep our offense off the field.

How the heck do we stop that "Earth, Wind and Fire"(man that's gay sounding) running attack?

Thought we were playing San Fran this week, LOL!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our Offense will have to play ball control to keep their offense off the field. And that will wear down their defense. Sounds simple and isn't that always the gameplan anyway.
But it MUST be done.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Jacobs did most of his damage to us in the second half after they'd already established the lead and the game was for all intents and purposes over.

We can stop him if we need to and hopefully with Romo back, next month's game will be a different story.

But let's beat SF before we worry about that.

Smith22

Reaction score
I think the Ravens hurt themselves by overpursuing and trying to make too many plays. Our front 7 has to be very physical and force Eli to beat us in the air, which should be much harder with Newman back in the saddle.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I find tackling the ball carrier at or around the line of scrimmage to be an effective means of stopping any running game.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Run blitzes and quick penetration by the nose tackle.

Plays have to be disrupted before they progress too far.

It might be a game where the "46" is used a great deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not ball control, IMO. The Giants are commited to the running game so as long as they are in the game, they will run the ball. If they run the ball, they will be succesful. You have to score and score until you get the Giants down by enough points to completely take their running game out of the picture. Two early TDs would do it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think anyone can stop them right now. They're on too big a roll.

The good news is that now doesn't matter. What matters is the playoffs, and I don't think they can keep up this level of play the entire year.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
maybe use a 5 man front defensive line or use the 46 bear defense, so the offensive linemen cant use a double team block on one player,

that should allow your linebackers to flow to the football

i am also hoping that, by the time we play the giants, if adam jones is back and playing ok, move henry to free safety and hamlin to strong safety, then you have 2 sure safeties that can hit

i do like the way keith davis played last week too, but i think in the long run,henry is better off at free safety, then henry can match up against Boss their TE and shut him down,

jgboys1

Reaction score
Kilyin;2428014 said:
I find tackling the ball carrier at or around the line of scrimmage to be an effective means of stopping any running game.
Is that you Wade Philips?

Zman5

Reaction score
I know it's SF this week and I hope our players don't look past them but as a fan I'm allowed. :D

I have a feeling we will see them in the playoffs and it looks like they can run 200yards on anybody. It's just not Jacobs either. All three RBs can run. As someone has mentioned already, the reason they can run so well is because of their OL.

They have a good formula. Jacobs is the starter and softens the D up. Ward does middle relief and Bradshaw is the closer.

We better come up with something soon because I do believe the road to SB goes through NY this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2428027 said:
Not ball control, IMO. The Giants are commited to the running game so as long as they are in the game, they will run the ball. If they run the ball, they will be succesful. You have to score and score until you get the Giants down by enough points to completely take their running game out of the picture. Two early TDs would do it.

This is the right answer, except the 2TD part. They'll run it until we absolutely put the game away on them. At least a three score lead going into the 4th. Not sure that's possible on that team, and I know it's not possible with our teams not getting the kinds of big plays we relied on from offense or defense last year. We'll see if those come back the next few weeks.

Barring that, I think it takes a significant injury or two to stop the Giants. And I doubt they collapse at the end of the year they way we did last year. Most likely scenario for us to beat them is for us to squeak out a narrow win in a high-scoring passing game in NY in winter. Yuck.

The AZ game this weekend will give us a good idea of whether or not that's possible with that pass rush.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sell out the run.

Press and play physical with WR's.
Take chances with our secondary.

Give up a big play here and there and contain the run... get our defense off the field.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hope for a significant injury to one of their backs or their linemen.

They are running as well as any team I have seen in years. They absolutely ate up the number one rushing defense in Baltimore Sunday. That was very very impressive.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Zman5;2427944 said:

I'm sorry are we playing the Giants this week? Umm...no? Well then I don't care how they'd stop that running attack. How they deal with Gore is all that matters this week.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Like any other running game you win the battle in the trenches. If you can get Jacobs going sideways his size and strength become negated. Jacobs becomes a much tougher runner once he gets his shoulders turned up field.