How do you feel the players and coaches feel about our offseason?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How do you feel our players feel about our lack luster off season? Players and coaches on 1 year deals, minimal signings in free agency, losing players to free agency. Do you feel that these guys are upset about this, can they truly be ready to play a season knowing that we didn't go all in as we could have in the off season? I don't mean all in like spend ridiculous amounts of money, but at least attempt to bring in talent. Please give your thoughts on this......

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd like to think that the Cowboys players are hopeful that something will happen to boost their expectations very soon. If they're as discouraged as many of us are as members of this website, it probably won't go well. On the other hand, if acquisitions are yet to be made to improve the outlook of the coming season, maybe they'd be relieved to see that happening. Let's hope something is done to improve the RB corps. I expect that'd help.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How do you feel our players feel about our lack luster off season? Players and coaches on 1 year deals, minimal signings in free agency, losing players to free agency. Do you feel that these guys are upset about this, can they truly be ready to play a season knowing that we didn't go all in as we could have in the off season? I don't mean all in like spend ridiculous amounts of money, but at least attempt to bring in talent. Please give your thoughts on this......
I think there may be a few players who really want to win and see our offseason as disappointing, but....I think the majority of them are like what RoboQB posted, "collect your paycheck and go".

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Big Mike has to feel like a dead man walking given how they cratered against GB and how this off season has gone. Plus his previous draft got Mazied so there's very little in the pipeline and he's still stuck with Mr Oopsie at QB. He has to know there's basically no scenario where this ends well for him.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
FO: Very very good. We had a great offseason, all are ready for trainingcamp and already putting in the work. We are a contender.

Coaches: Sings the song of the FO.

Players: Very very bad. We want more money!

Chasing6

Reaction score
They feel like it is them against their opponents, the FO and their fans.

Most likely feel betrayed and lied to.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd like to think that the Cowboys players are hopeful that something will happen to boost their expectations very soon. If they're as discouraged as many of us are as members of this website, it probably won't go well. On the other hand, if acquisitions are yet to be made to improve the outlook of the coming season, maybe they'd be relieved to see that happening. Let's hope something is done to improve the RB corps. I expect that'd help.
I don't think they're adding anyone. They probably aren't paying all 3, Lamb, Dak, Parsons. I don't see them adding big salaries to that.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think there may be a few players who really want to win and see our offseason as disappointing, but....I think the majority of them are like what RoboQB posted, "collect your paycheck and go".
This sounds quite likely. But that would be a disaster. That leads to a lack of effort.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Collect my check and get the heck out of Dodge."
- every coach and player on a one year remaining deal

This sounds quite likely. But that would be a disaster. That leads to a lack of effort.

Or it leads to a lot of effort.
Playing for a new contract rather in Dallas or another team.

Most people when they know their review is coming up, a few month or so before. They straighten up, and work hard.

I used to joke that some people work their butts off all year long. But have one small screw up right before evaluations and get a bad review because of that.
On the oppose side, there are the slackers for 10 months, then all of a sudden they are a great employee. Get a great review.
Most management sees only what happened recently.

How often have we seen, on all teams, a players has a great contract year, then disappears. So maybe Jerry is onto something here. All players will step up to be better.

Here are the FA's for 2025. 30 players, which is above average of the typical 22 to 26. Though this year it was only around 18. And how many of these players will actually make the team.
So it really is not much higher than usual for FA. Now how many of these are on 1 year deals, not as many as you are making it out to be.
Players in the last year of their contract happens. And if any were extended, fans would whine about that as well. Players in the last year of there contract do not count as a 1 year contract.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-2025-list-free-agents-potential/

Flamma

Reaction score

Most people when they know their review is coming up, a few month or so before. They straighten up, and work hard.

I used to joke that some people work their butts off all year long. But have one small screw up right before evaluations and get a bad review because of that.
On the oppose side, there are the slackers for 10 months, then all of a sudden they are a great employee. Get a great review.

How often have we seen, on all teams, a players has a great contract year, then disappears. So maybe Jerry is onto something here. All players will step up to be better.

Here are the FA's for 2025. 30 players, which is above average of the typical 22 to 26. Though this year it was only around 18. And how many of these players will actually make the team.
So it really is not much higher than usual for FA. Now how many of these are on 1 year deals, not as many as you are making it out to be.
Players in the last year of their contract happens. And if any were extended, fans would whine about that as well. Players in the last year of there contract do not count as a 1 year contract.

We're hoping it leads to effort. But were they not trying before? Are our players going to miraculously play better now? This isn't the 70s or 80s. The same kind of fear using this tactic isn't there.

jwitten82

Reaction score
With the way we lost against the Packers, and then McCarthy being on a one year deal. It's only human nature some players will be questioning the system and things could get ugly quick

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is all about maximizing the bag. These guys don't care about wining playoff games and the certainly don't care about what the team is doing in the off season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the way we lost against the Packers, and then McCarthy being on a one year deal. It's only human nature some players will be questioning the system and things could get ugly quick
Hopefully it does not fall apart like they did with Wade Phillips. I still don't know what went wrong those games to start the season. Still baffling.

Last edited:

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hopefully it does not fall apart like they did with Wade Wilson. I still don't know what went wrong those games to start the season. Still baffling.
Well, if you believe the conspiracy theorists, it was all part of Garrett's plan to become HC.
Also, did you mean Wade Phillips? Or our
QB coach, Wade Wilson? I responded based on Wade Phillips.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players in all sports say it always helps their morale when the front office works hard at making trades and free agent signings to get better.

I cannot imagine Cowboys players going into this season feeling like their front office went “all in”. With the HC on the last year of his contract, it sets up to put undue pressure on the players and coaches that rarely works. Jerry says he’s “comfortable with ambiguity” which is good in business situations but it is NOT good with sports teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Hopefully, they’ll adopt an “Us” against “Them” attitude and take it all the way to the Super Bowl :starspin: