How do you weigh medical concern players, take them off their draft board?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We know the Cowboys have the tendency to draft medical red flag players in the past and have been burned several times. Do they take these players completely off their board or is it more a case by case basis?

Brooks, Wilson, JPJ-all came in as 30 pre-draft visitors which suggests they have interest and want to take their own deep dive on their medicals. It is very possible 1 if not more become Cowboys if the team determines if they are cleared medically.

Can the team go down this road again? Thoughts?

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, but they probably will…I’d bet a large portion of money we draft one of these guys in rounds 2/3.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
They might think they got burned with LVE. They probably think they did ok with Jaylen, well with Bruce Carter and great with Sean Lee.

So my guess is they think on the whole they’ve done well going down this road and won’t be shy about doing so again.

I’d probably be happy with JPJ but I’m otherwise ok with you torching the war room if this happens. Or even if it doesn’t.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time we drafted a guy with medical red flags, and then those medical problems didn't severely affect his pro career.

I'm not convinced that JPJ is an injury red flag. He did only start for one year, and did get dinged a bunch, but his track record isn't on the same level as Brooks or Wilson.

Speaking of Payton Wilson, he scares the crap out of me, given that he plays a high-contact position.

We'll see how much juice Brooks loses from his torn ACL, but the plus side is that his game's not all built around explosion. He was an excellent passing-down back at Texas and was a smart zone rusher who didn't just coast on athleticism. I am not paying full draft MSRP for him, but I'm not writing him off either. He could be a Zeke type.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Easy. You make them a second round priority.

hashtag secret sauce

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys will always take chances on 1st round talents that they think can become superstars. Most cases you fail but the draft is gamble anyway.

1942willys

Reaction score
The Cowboys will always take chances on 1st round talents that they think can become superstars. Most cases you fail but the draft is gamble anyway.
but to continually waste your second rd pick is just plain dumb

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If the picks are JPJ and Brooks, you are getting 2 very good players. Big fan of both players, but the injuries matter.

Cmac

Reaction score
LVE......have we forgotten? Jaylon Smith......have we forgotten? Not sure about SLee coming into the draft. We don't need to waste any early picks, medical or projects (Mazi/Schoon). We need a "dawg" or two, early.