How does Frederick retiring affect the salary cap?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
But the whole reason there is dead money is because there were previous cap benefits from bonus proration. You have to account for every dollar paid. You open that box of relieving cap from retirements and you’ll be seeing 34 year olds getting 5 year deals with big bonuses just to get around the cap.

This is just an unfortunate case of a young player getting sick and just not getting back to full strength and making a life over football choice. If we started making concessions for every possibility, the cap would be even more complicated than it already is.

What difference does it make if a player retires or has a career ending injury. The signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. What would it look like to sign Tom Brady to a 10 year contract right now assuming he would only play for 2 years?
And that argument is more than fair. I still dont love the current system for handling retirements, and think it will increasingly be an issue with younger guys retiring, but I also have to acknowledge that I dont have a great alternative either

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Sad to see the beard go, but he has to consider his health and family first.

As far as going after him for the cap money. JJ will probably not go after him, although I would...IF...the beard had an insurance policy in place. If not, well then I would write it off as the costand chance you take when you restructure a contract for cap relief. I've never been a fan of doing that.

garyv

Reaction score
Lol. You sir should be banned from this board with such a ridiculous take on a man putting his family and health first. Especially with what is literally going on right now.

I've seen where if Frederick waits until after June 1st to file retirement papers than we are pretty much off the hook for 2020 and it slides
7 mil to 2021 but Cap will increase greater than that so the question will Frederick do that for us ?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Very true
But it’s a pay me now, pay me later
Without going back and seeing the restructures it was probably needed money at the time
A fairly low risk restructuring because he was a star player at a position that he is not old at
The gamble didn’t work out
The practice has risks and it’s burned us and other teams
But there are times when it is a practical way to basically finance your sports car instead of paying cash for it
But it is kicking debt down the road so you can spend more now
Would have been nice if we had got a super bowl or a shot at one out of those risks
I think OL in general are good targets for restructuring deals. They have done it with Smith I believe. Their historic longevity does make for a good foundation to defer salary. I don't, however, feel Fred was a good candidate given his health condition depending on of course when they worked out his restructure, before or after his illness was discovered.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Frankly I want to thank Travis Frederick for all that he has done for the Cowboys. Even the retirement yesterday, yes, because Jerry, Stephen and even McCarthy knew about this months ago most likely at the time of the exit physical. They also knew about his declining play even though he was a Pro Bowler (tells you how bad the other centers are in the NFL). Frederick by waiting allow Dallas to resign Looney at a more reasonable price. He was able to allow Dallas to take care of other needs in free agency and if you don't think it will be a June 1st retirement then you aren't listening. By waiting until then, Dallas spreads the dead money other two years giving them the exact amount they need for the draft picks as well as what they normally hold out to sign additional players during the year.

Pretty smart moves. Yes I would rather have Frederick but that autoimmune disease does not go away and it will never allow him to be at the strength he was before he caught the disease. I know many fans are upset with the fact he is costing us dead money but it is no different than when we cut Demarcus Ware who still went on to have several great years in Denver. It is a business for both players and fans. Travis could have easily retired after 2018 yet he worked to get back in the game and 2019 he was good not great but it took a huge toll on him and most football people could see it at the end of the year. Like it or not he did the right thing for him and also for the Cowboys he how he retired. Don't believe for a minute the Cowboys were not thinking about this last year in the draft when they took McGovern and many hated the pick, they knew it was always going to happen at an earlier time than they wanted and prepared. Thank you Travis Frederick, we will miss you.

pansophy

Reaction score
And that argument is more than fair. I still dont love the current system for handling retirements, and think it will increasingly be an issue with younger guys retiring, but I also have to acknowledge that I dont have a great alternative either
I mean I'm always bummed out when a player retires "early" as well. But teams have gone after recouping signing bonuses and such when they have been duped and a player didn't sign their contract in good faith. GBS is extremely serious -- many people need to put on a ventilator to survive the worst of it and some people do have recurrences.

He came back for a year and gave it a go. I can't be that mad at him and I don't think the Jones are either.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'd take him to court and sue him for every dime I could get! He has done us like Ratliff did!!!!!! Stolen millions from our cap !! And team!!!!!! Now he can go hang out with Ratliff and the two of them can laugh about how much they stole from Jerry, Crawford belongs there too, as well as a few others.
This is why I started a thread about this when it was announced he was retiring. How long did the FO knew this and why the delay?

I am sure becuz of the money paid to him, some might want some money back.

That's reasonable and they may have tried but Beard said no.

I do not know. I just think if there is a way to screw this team..it will happen becuz..

We are the Cowboys..America's Whipping Boys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cowboys chose to restructure his contract.

Exactly right. Everybody seems to think that players restructuring contracts is some kind of sacrifice. Basically, all it does is guarantee that a player is getting paid in future years etc. It's actually much better for a player in many cases.

robjay04

Reaction score
Exactly right. Everybody seems to think that players restructuring contracts is some kind of sacrifice. Basically, all it does is guarantee that a player is getting paid in future years etc. It's actually much better for a player in many cases.

What’s worse is they restructured these deals and don’t even spend the savings.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What’s worse is they restructured these deals and don’t even spend the savings.

I think it's a good deal for the players. Heck, a lot of these guys, if you give them 20 mil all at once, it's gone in the space of a few years. If they have it spread out over a period of years, at least they have some money coming in after having the opportunity to grow up and learn the value of saving money, as they get a little older.

MaaS

Reaction score
It's crazy to me that able-bodied players who choose to retire count vs the cap. I'm honestly surprised more guys don't just walk.

conner01

Reaction score
I think OL in general are good targets for restructuring deals. They have done it with Smith I believe. Their historic longevity does make for a good foundation to defer salary. I don't, however, feel Fred was a good candidate given his health condition depending on of course when they worked out his restructure, before or after his illness was discovered.
Oline tends to last longer and perform at a high level late in career
Pretty sure his was done well before this issue and he’s only 29 so he would be getting another contract
He could have played out another deal had it not been for this

TheGoat73

Reaction score
He doesn't ha

Be that problem now, he just needed one more off season to be back to all pro. If this was a good faith retirement, then he needs to give back the prorated portion of his bonus for the life of the contract. He got in an advantageous situation , and decided to fold his cards and quit and run instead of do the work. His saying it only takes one play to get hurt for life, when was the last time you seen an offensive lineman break his neck? Pa leeeze! He got paid for a whole year while doing nothing! Kind of reminds me of Zeke's thought processes. The sooner we get rid of these type of guys the better.
This isolation got some of y’all too salty.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wonder what would have happened if T-Fred and Dallas would have had communication before hand, and agreed on a restructure like 11 yrs, 1m per?
Then he retired....
Could that be construed as collusion?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wonder what would have happened if T-Fred and Dallas would have had communication before hand, and agreed on a restructure like 11 yrs, 1m per?
Then he retired....
Could that be construed as collusion?
Works for this fan...Golden.

Wapp5200

Reaction score
How does this effect our cap, hate to see such a great young class guy like Fredericks leave us, but now that he is where do we stand with cap dollars? does it free up any money to sign more help?
Great player, he'll be hard to replace.